“Delightful hotel, excellent food, extensive drink selection!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
wendyducati
“Delightful hotel, excellent food, extensive drink selection!”
Reviewed 2 March 2010

One of the best city centre hotels I have stayed in. The building is a great conversion of an old sugar warehouse with oodles of character. Both dinner and breakfast were tip top and the amount of spirits on offer on the drinks menu was truly extensive. I was delving into the Japanese malt whiskey selection as my evenings diversion........

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
London
Reviewed 1 March 2010

When choosing between the lack of good hotels in Bristol, I originally chose Hotel du vIn because it seemed more of a boutique hotel than the other large chains on offer. On arrival, though the hotel was littered with fag butts outside, the entrance was quite impressive. When we got out of the elevator to onto the 3rd floor where our room was situated, I was shocked by the amount of rubbish lining the corridor. It was 3pm and there were tonnes of dirty breakfast trays, empty glasses and dirty laundry........and lets just say that the housekeepers weren't quiet, you could hear them gossiping as you walked down the corridor. Anyway, the room looked similar to what it did on the website, the bathroom was impressive though the fan wouldn't turn off so at this point I was relatively content! However, when it came to sleeping, the bed was like a rock - I honestly felt like I was sleeping on the pavement! I had about one hours sleep between the shower dripping all night long, the paper thin walls and the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in!

Would never stay there again - should've saved my money and stayed in the Premier Inn around the corner!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cha1984
London, England
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Wonderful lounge areas and common parts, all so stylishly decorated. Lovely white bedlinen and soft pillows in the bedrooms, Arran Aromatics toiletries in the bathroom and freshly ground coffee and fresh milk in the mini bar. Quality breakfasts, with a range of healthy options and a cooked menu which differs from the usual run of the mill. Very pleasant reception staff and, generally, all was faultless. Only slight word of caution would be that the door to the bathroom is clear-glazed and unlockable!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
York
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I stayed here with my 14-year-old son on a trip to the Banksy installation. The room was in the attic & a bit pokey, but we'd been warned of this when we booked, so that wasn't a problem. The beds were still comfortable, & it was characteristically well-furnished, as are all hotels I've used in the chain. Most importantly - drinkable coffee and a cafetiere in the room. As other reviews have noted, the bathroom was a bit odd, in that the door was glass. Not an enormous problem, in that the door leads to the little vestibule rather than into the room, but my son was initially a little discomfited by it. He soon got over the oddness of the door, however, when he'd tried the shower, which was super. Good dinner, good cocktails, impeccable service. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I was looking forward for my long new years eve break in Bristol.
We decided to go for a more expensive hotel to enjoy the break, but was a disappointment.
To start with, they understand that a King size bed is two single beds put together, with a towel in the middle. We complaint the first day, but they didn't have spare rooms to change us.
On the second day, we had to complain again, and then they change our room, to a king size room (what we had paid for.
The staff was not friendly at all.
For the money we were paying I was expecting a better service.
The rooms were nice, although extremely dark, there was not enough lamps in each room.
I would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 January 2010

This year we had opportunity to return to Hotel du Vin Bristol in December - we imagined a warm romantic time: drinking red wine nestled in the cosy sofas at the bar, followed by a candlelit dinner in their atmospheric bistro. Unfortunately we were nestled - in our woolen overcoats and scarves - yes even over dinner! To be fair - the radiators were on, but they are not sufficient for the space. So much for changing for dinner - my packed slinky black dress was replaced with two jumpers and a coat, my partner even wanted to adorn his wooly hat! Unless you like being in a fridge, I would suggest you save this hotel for summer.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2009

(I preface this by stating I have searched high and low for a Customer Relations address on the HDV website but there just isnt one)
We have stayed in at least 3 different Hotel Du Vin properties over the last 3 years and this was the most disappointing. my main gripe is in having to pay for a (supposedly) higher grade room at rack rate for a room that was over the courtyard and hence very noisy until midnight. I feel it incumbent upon a hotel to inform a guest in advance that here are to be 3 simultaneous functions in the hotel , because for sure I would not have stayed the night had I known - given that we had a young child who we put to bed at 8pm.
Dinner and breakfast were average. Room was comfortable and would stay again if I could be sure of getting an appropriate room.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family