“Birthday lunch ”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Probably hands down the best Carribbean/Jamaican food I've ever had and easily in my top 5 of best places to eat. Me and my girlfriend ordered fried chicken, oxtail and curried goat would definitely recommend!

1  Thank Mohammed Faisal A

Reviewed 14 February 2018

I have been eating here on and off for a few years on many occasions, in both the restaurant and takeaway. The food is probably the best most authentic food served in any Caribbean restaurant in Bristol with the largest portions and the staff are helpful and friendly. I appreciate the décor is basic and nothing fancy, but its the type of place where you make your own atmosphere. However there have been a couple of issues, in that they started to make the rice spicy which stopped me eating there about 2 years ago, that changed after some complaints i can imagine and I have enjoyed many meals there since, but unfortunately just before xmas i eat there with friends and we all had bad stomachs the next day!, i have to stress though that is the first problems of this type i have has with them and ive eaten from there over 100 times. I hope this latest issue gets sorted out soon as without it i would have given 5 stars.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We had a Christmas day takeaway as we were staying at a local hotel. Chef's food is consistently good and it is my favourite local restaurant. Christmas dinner was no exception. The menu changed again this year but having had this before, we knew to bring containers as the food is plentiful. This time around we had grilled lobster, hawaiian fish fillets, curried mutton, rice variations, sweet potato salad & mixed veg followed by carrot cake and cream. It tasted as good as it sounds. Last Fridays of the month is always a treat for the fixed priced all you can eat buffet. Best value ever.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

This restaurant continuously has a 'looking for new staff' sign outside. I worked for them for several weeks (including a 9 hour trial shift, that they didn't pay me for) then was let go for no unfair reason. I also had to hold an apron ransom just to get paid for the work I had done for them. Staff are over worked and badly organised. Rice & things simply employ young inexperienced staff that they can discard after getting a days work out of them for free. Food is good but its a shame they are so bad to their employees. Will never go hear again on principle. this is a dishonorable establishment.

6  Thank Jon C
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Recently visited whilst in Bristol as we love Caribbean food and this place had come recommended. Not terrible but then again really not great. The real killer was the price. I paid just shy of 15 quid for chicken rice and peas which is 3x what I'd normally pay in London and this certainly wasn't as good. The rice and peas tasted like plain boiled rice with kidney beans in, so the name 'rice and things' is a bit misleading as it seemed to be 'just rice'. Wait was painfully long but then that's fairly standard for a Caribbean restaurant.
Won't be visiting again - recommend biblos just down the road (where I went immediately after as I was still hungry and dissatisfied).

2  Thank Critical P