“City centre value”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ballynahinch, United Kingdom
“City centre value”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Well located close to Bristol centre, good parking, and friendly staff. We struggled with the free WiFi which was intent on dragging us into an upgrade, but thank goodness for 3G!
Comfortable rooms, excellent buffet breakfast, we would return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Isaac B
NovotelBristolCentre, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, although I am sorry you experienced problems with the free wifi. Tim HOwes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely room. Very clean. Given the choice of a room with a shower or a bath, which was novel. Bar was an amiable place to be and was doing a roaring trade in food. My only gripe, and it's very minor, wad to be expected to pay £2.50 for a bottle of still mineral water from the mini bar. Paying nearly £90 for my one night stay, without breakfast, I felt a complimentary bottle of water would've been appreciated

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
NovotelBristolCentre, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The policy of charging for water is currently under review and I appreciate your feedback on this. Tim Howes, General Manager
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stopped here for 3 nights on business.
The hotel itself is very nice & well positioned for the City centre, with underground parking at £10 per night.
The rooms were modern & beds comfortable. Breakfast was ok but nothing exceptional, I ate in the hotel on just one occasion, opting for the buffet which was again ok but nothing special.
Would have given 4 stars if it hadn't been for the complete rip off scam the hotel operates in charging for what appears to be complementary bottles of water in the room.
When I arrived in the room there were 4 small bottles of water in the fridge. There was no note on the fridge or in the room reading material stating that there is a charge for the water, so on the 1st night I opened one. Thank goodness I only opened 1.
Upon checking out, I noticed a charge of £5 for the mini-bar, and when questioned the French receptionist stated that the prices for the water were on the fridge - they were not!!
The receptionist showed no interest in my complaint and mid conversation was distracted with someone trying to get out of the car-park & totally swept aside my issue. I was tight for time & didn't wish to make a scene, so left it there.
To conclude - decent hotel, but £5 for a bottle of water is ridiculous, particularly when the price isn't advertised, and the attitude of the receptionist was very poor. Will think twice before I book into this Novotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank whukev
NovotelBristolCentre, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry about the attitude of our receptionist in handling your complaint. Please accept my apologies that there was no tariff on your minibar door, we are checking all the rooms to make sure this is in place. The bottles of water are in fact £2.50 each. If you would care to contact me at tim.howes@accor.com I will happily process a refund for the amount you paid for water on this occasion. Tim Howes, General Manager
auckland
Reviewed 6 February 2014

On returning to my car after making an enquiry for a room I fell over the sloping curb outside of the hotel entrance. The resulting two severely sprained wrists meant the day I had to spend in Bristol was spent lying down in pain. The remaining two weeks I had as an international vistor in the UK has been ruined by the ongoing pain and need for splints on both wrists. The hotel manager's response to my predicament was focussed entirely on limiting any possible claim he thought I might make against the hotel. I had and still have no intention of making a claim against the hotel. I had hoped for some assistance in cleaning my coat smeared from the fall and an offer of accommodation to ease the diffculty I was facing in looking for a room in an unknown city while injured and encumbered with luggage. All I got was a conversation about the hotel's need to avoid any potential liability. Hopefully the management will take a serious look at the kerb and do something to avoid someone else hurting themselves. I won't stay in a Novotel place again ever.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank hollyAuckland
NovotelBristolCentre, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We take health and safety very seriously and have assessed the paving outside the hotel and found that it is fit for purpose. I take issue with how you have portrated the nature of our conversation in your review. I am sure other guests will appreciate that when I receive a call out of the blue and someone completely unknown to us is asking for a free room, I am obliged to take a cautious approach, particularly as you did not report the incident a the time but waited until the following day. I am sorry that you have been left with a negative impression of Novotel. Tim Howes, General Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have stayed here on a few occasions and to date haven't had a bad stay. I wouldn't say I am wowed by anything but equally you could do a lot worse.
The check in was slick, the room is exactly what you expect from a chain hotel with the usual amenities. The main issue is that it lacks any sort of personality but then again that may be comforting as you know what you are getting.
The room was clean and modern, the breakfast was exactly what you expect (a self service buffet) & the evening meal good value (I had the three course for £21 deal) if you have the offer.
The real positive was the restaurant staff who were attentive & very polite throughout.
The hotel is nice & close to the city centre (5/10 min walk) & offers car parking at a cost.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank soundbites30
Thank you for your kind comments, especially regarding our restaurant staff, who will be delighted to know their efforts are appreciated. Tim Howes, General Manager