“Frills-free, comfortable stay”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Frills-free, comfortable stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed for 1 night at HI Express North Bristol.

The rooms were clean and the bed's comfortable. Shower comes with soap and body/shampoo gel in dispensers. Towels were clean, and there was a choice between soft/firm pillow. Heater worked well too.

It would have been good if there were disposable bedroom slippers, but as I said, it's frills-free so it wasn't included.

It's convenient that there's a huge Sainsbury just 3 minutes walk away, and a good pub/restaurant just next to the carpark.

Breakfast was alright - nothing to shout about, but it had bread, cereals, fruit, and some hot food. Comprehensive!

Service personnel (only had interaction with front-desk) were brisk, but not rude.

I stayed as part of a tour group and I saw the daily rates on the board. I'm not sure if it's worth a GBP140-150/night stay though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank s0ulffle
ATemple, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review following on from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see you found our rooms clean and serviceable, our housekeeping team try their utmost to keep these levels to the highest of specifications.
Yours sincerely,
Andrew Temple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have been using this hotel when on business in the region for a few years. Whilst I agree with many of the reviews concerning the prices I would like to comment on the patience and cheerful nature of the staff, especially the more senior members of the team. There appears to be a huge demand on the weekends and there are often busloads arriving from overseas and a big demand for breakfasts all within a short space of time. Given the number of staff on during these busy times they have my admiration for the way that they do manage these difficult situation.

Room Tip: the *30 rooms appear larger
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
DaivaBagdon, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. I will happily share your comments with my team - I am very proud of their ability to cope under pressure in what can sometimes be difficult situations. Its our goal to provide excellent customer service at all times, and I am glad that the efforts of our Senior Members have been recognised on this occasion.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday inn Express Bristol North in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Daiva Bagdonaite
Deputy General Manager
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is not a Holdiay Inn, it is their "budget" version - Holiday Inn Express. In spite of this, they charged me more than the rate at the four star Holiday Inn 2km up the road (corporate rate was £129 per night..at a budget hotel!). This, as other reviewers have pointed out, does NOT represent value for money.
Be warned also that you will be charged for your entire stay at check in. When I asked how I could then charge anything to my room during my stay the young man who checked me in just said "I don't know" but did not then bother to find out.
Another diappointment was the breakfast - the coffee machine was broken, there was NO milk (I got told they would send someone to Sainsbury's shortly to buy some. The toaster was also broken and I had to intervene to stop a member of staff inserting a metal knife in to a machine that was still energised! They also water down the orange juice to almost homeopathic levels - unecessary penny pinching.
The room was standard HIX (they have a global template for these) - functional and clean.
The nearby Government buildings mean that they never have to worry about occupancy rates...and this shows. A very unsatisfactorily run hotel, you've been warned.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Blocker1
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

More expensive than I expected but quiet despite being a busy weekend. Breakfast was OK, nothing special. Pretty good food in the pub that shares the car park.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed on business for 1 night and even though I got our companies corporate rate this hotel was expensive, in fact it was the same price a the full service holiday inn in Bristol city centre.

Location wise its not too bad for a our of town hotel as its near Bristol Parkway station and quite a few different offices. There is a pub on the site so even though the hotel doesn't do evening meals you can get some good food in the pub. There is also a McDonalds nearby if you are that way inclined.

Inside the hotel was pretty basic and I though the rooms a little old fashioned though the lobby area is more modern.

Breakfast was included in my rate but there want much choice and what was there didn't look particularly appetising.

All in all, a fairly average hotel at a price. I'll probably have to stay here again when in Bristol but it wouldn't be my first choice

• Stayed September 2011
Pasadena, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

During our visit to England, we were looking for good deals on hotels. We picked up this hotel on a booking site that gives good discounts but you don't necessarily know the hotel you will get until you pay. As such, we would have preferred a hotel closer to city centre. However, we were within a 15 minute walk to the train station that took us to Bristol Temple Meads station. This was still a 15 minute walk from city centre.

The hotel itself is clean and fresh, in general. It was great value for what we paid. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

The air conditioning did not work well but fortunately we could open the window and given our visit was in October, we could get the room cool. There is no iron in the room and housekeeping did not completely clean the room.

This hotel had free Internet in the public area but access from the room is charged and excessively expensive, in my opinion. Fortunately, later in the night, I could access the free service from the room.

• Stayed October 2011
wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

I booked two rooms at this hotel... as it was my friends 30th birthday. There were 4 adults in each room, they were very clostraphobic, not enough towels, cups & tea & coffee to go around all of us. Quite poor when it clearly stated on our booking forms that there were 4 adults to a room!!
Breakfast was absoluteley poor, they stop serving at 11am, but we went down for breakfast at 10am and there was hardly anything left, the food that was left to eat was disgusting & cold!! Not impressed!! The only good thing about this hotel, is the fact we only stayed 1 night - we couldnt wait to get out of there!! The hotel is situated around 5 miles from the city centre which cost us £25 for one way in a taxi - if i had known this i would of booked another hotel in the centre itself........ Wouldnt stay there again!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
ATemple, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Bristol North, I am sorry your visit did not live up to your expectations The bedrooms that you described are advertised as rooms with a double bed and double sofa bed and whilst I agree these would be cramped for four adults they are better suited for families.
I am also aware of the issues during the breakfast service during your stay and we have reviewed our stock levels to help prevent shortages in the future.

Yours sincerely,