“Ideal location for my business trip”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
The Fens
“Ideal location for my business trip”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Needing a hotel for one night in this area of Bristol, the Holiday Inn Express (North) was perfectly located.

Room was comfortable, clean and rather large to be honest. Breakfast was sufficient with a self-service choice of fruit, cereals, rolls and cooked food.

Ok, it could be classed as expensive, but as I had a meeting only 5 minutes walk away, it saved on sitting in the appalling traffic jams that haunt this area of Bristol. I also asked if it was ok to leave my ar in the car park whilst I went to the meeting and there was no issue whatsoever.

There's a nice pub next door called The Fox Den who serve great food and beer.

Would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We travel using IHG hotels often, so when we had the opportunity to stay at Holiday Inn Express, Bristol, using our Priority Reward Points, we were delighted. The hotel is in a great location, and allowed us to visit Bath, Cheddar Gorge, Weston-Super-Mare and numerous other small villages close by. The hotel is delightful, easy to find, and has a good size car park. The rooms are spacious, well equipped, and we opted to pay additionally for WIFI in our room.
The complimentary breakfast is lovely. Offering cold and hot buffet, and rather nice that I could send my husband down to retrieve breakfast to have in our room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ATemple, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience of your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express, Bristol North. I appreciate your feedback. The whole team here is very proud of the hotel, the quality and service we provide.
Washougal, Washington
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Paid too much, accomodations sterile and uninviting. Room was cold, not just burrr, but no personal touches at all. Cold breeze blew in from window all night, the place was not easy to find for us, since we were not from the area. Parking lot entrance was hard to find on GPS system. There is a good breakfast, continental style in the morning, but the coffee was from a dispenser, with powdered lattes :( from a machine. The only disappointing night we spent in the UK. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if possible. At least 20 pounds overpriced a night.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest Thank you for your valuable feedback with regards to your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Bristol North. It is important to us that all our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable stay and I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel sterile and uninviting. I am also most concerned to hear that a cold breeze blew through your window and I am keen to find out which room you stayed in so we may rectify this.
London
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have been staying in the HIX for three days a week for the last three months,
Rooms are impressively cleaned to a high standard and well furnished for the business traveller (only notable exception is no trouser press!)
Breakfast included is somewhat limited but sufficient
Its convenient location for businesses north of the city is a winner - less so if you intend to use it as a base for visits to central Bristol
Very helpful and accommodating staff - real above and beyond the call of duty attitude is a winner for the business traveller.

Room Tip: Remember to switch off AC before going to bed (control unit by door)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed for 1 night at HI Express North Bristol.

The rooms were clean and the bed's comfortable. Shower comes with soap and body/shampoo gel in dispensers. Towels were clean, and there was a choice between soft/firm pillow. Heater worked well too.

It would have been good if there were disposable bedroom slippers, but as I said, it's frills-free so it wasn't included.

It's convenient that there's a huge Sainsbury just 3 minutes walk away, and a good pub/restaurant just next to the carpark.

Breakfast was alright - nothing to shout about, but it had bread, cereals, fruit, and some hot food. Comprehensive!

Service personnel (only had interaction with front-desk) were brisk, but not rude.

I stayed as part of a tour group and I saw the daily rates on the board. I'm not sure if it's worth a GBP140-150/night stay though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank s0ulffle
ATemple, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review following on from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see you found our rooms clean and serviceable, our housekeeping team try their utmost to keep these levels to the highest of specifications.
Yours sincerely,
Andrew Temple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have been using this hotel when on business in the region for a few years. Whilst I agree with many of the reviews concerning the prices I would like to comment on the patience and cheerful nature of the staff, especially the more senior members of the team. There appears to be a huge demand on the weekends and there are often busloads arriving from overseas and a big demand for breakfasts all within a short space of time. Given the number of staff on during these busy times they have my admiration for the way that they do manage these difficult situation.

Room Tip: the *30 rooms appear larger
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
DaivaBagdon, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. I will happily share your comments with my team - I am very proud of their ability to cope under pressure in what can sometimes be difficult situations. Its our goal to provide excellent customer service at all times, and I am glad that the efforts of our Senior Members have been recognised on this occasion.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday inn Express Bristol North in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Daiva Bagdonaite
Deputy General Manager
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is not a Holdiay Inn, it is their "budget" version - Holiday Inn Express. In spite of this, they charged me more than the rate at the four star Holiday Inn 2km up the road (corporate rate was £129 per night..at a budget hotel!). This, as other reviewers have pointed out, does NOT represent value for money.
Be warned also that you will be charged for your entire stay at check in. When I asked how I could then charge anything to my room during my stay the young man who checked me in just said "I don't know" but did not then bother to find out.
Another diappointment was the breakfast - the coffee machine was broken, there was NO milk (I got told they would send someone to Sainsbury's shortly to buy some. The toaster was also broken and I had to intervene to stop a member of staff inserting a metal knife in to a machine that was still energised! They also water down the orange juice to almost homeopathic levels - unecessary penny pinching.
The room was standard HIX (they have a global template for these) - functional and clean.
The nearby Government buildings mean that they never have to worry about occupancy rates...and this shows. A very unsatisfactorily run hotel, you've been warned.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business