“surprised to find the Tapas were Creole and not Spanish”
Review of Harveys Cellars - CLOSED

Harveys Cellars
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were taken to Harveys Cellars for a Tapas lunch, using a Groupon deal to part-pay for the meal. Our companions had been before and had enjoyed it enough to introduce it to us.

A strange smell of incense greets you as go down the stairs. The downstairs room has a continental feel to it, with a central island bar, some high tables with stools and some low tables with chairs. Otherwise, the decor is lacking in interest, apart from the wall of blue glass bottles to the right before you go down to the restaurant. A Saturday lunch-time, and only one or two other tables were occupied.

I was surprised to find the Tapas were Creole and not Spanish, and assumed this was an acknowledgement of Bristol's slave trade. (I think their advertising could make it clearer that the tapas are not Spanish.)

We started with a cocktail. The menu includes some interesting-sounding cocktails using sherry, but 2 of us had the very delicious Mariachi tequila-based cocktail, and 2 had the bramble gin-based cocktail, all at £7. (I didn't taste it, but I'm told the bramble cocktail was lacking in alcohol.)

To begin our lunch, we ordered 4 tapas (priced at up to £6 each) : Indo-Caribbean Curried Goat , Escovitch Fried Fish, Jamaican Style Pot Beef Stew and Creole Spiced Prawns. All were very good, especially the Escovitch, although the goat and beef dishes could have had a lot more punch. We ordered repeats of the goat, fish and prawns. With wine and bread, and coffee to follow, this all made a very tasty lunch. Water was served in an old, pale blue Harvey's bottle - a nice touch.
The waitress, from the north of Spain, was cheerful and helpful.

I would go again. (The next day, we had a tapas lunch at the Lido, and although the venue was perfect - on a sunny day, the tapas were not nearly as good as at Harveys.)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

VERY poor service, waited over half an hour at the bar for a drink, food was over-priced for something that tased no better than a bland ready meal (in fact I have tasted much better ready meals!!) Bar staff were rude/offhand and came across as 'moody'! There was a distinct 'musty' (not very nice!) smell to the place. Overall a very disappointing experience and I would never recommend to anyone!!

3  Thank reflexy68
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The brand Harvey's has been a bristol institution for decades. I was so excited to see it reopen and the restaurant looked fantastic with the great bar and the wall of bristol blue glass sherry bottles. I thought the concept of a tapas restaurant would work well with the history of sherry. Good but simple Spanish tapas would have been fantastic, but unfortunately that isn't on the menu and the tapas that is available really isn't that good. On the other hand the staff are really friendly and service was good, and the cocktails are fantastic.

3  Thank SnowPonyUk
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this restaurant on living social as tapas and a cocktail. I should have looked at the menu as I thought it would be Spanish/
Mezze style tapas but it was carrabean food which I don't
Like.
We were very disappointed as the food we did have was bland and tasteless. The cocktail was good though. I won't be returning.
Very poor as there was nothing else other than carrabean food.

4  Thank BristolJeanine
Reviewed 27 May 2014

When I was a small child my parents would occasionally have a Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry, so it was fun to have a meal in the cellars where sherry was once stored. We had to have a sherry and we ordered some tapas, which arrived promptly. They forgot a cocktail we ordered, which came after a reminder.

There's a more modern part - but we went in the atmospheric (but slightly dark) cellars.