“Newcomer to Gloucester Road food scene”
Review of Zazu's Kitchen - CLOSED

Zazu's Kitchen
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All day neighbourhood brasserie, fantastic breakfasts, wonderful lunches and sublime suppers.
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Zazu's Kitchen has moved a mile or so up the road to capture the middle-class diners of Bishopston, Before, it was situated in the grungier area of Stoke's Croft where it was wellknown for food and for being pricey. It's still a bit pricey, but we enjoyed what we had and the service was very good and friendly.

There is a fabulous terrace outside which would be perfect on a sunny day like today. However it was pouring with rain when Carole and I visited. I had belly of pork with little cubes of back pudding, spinach and confit potatoes. Very Nice! Carole had bream which she said was tasty. The atmosphere and decor is lovely and relaxing. The menu is quite limited for vegetarians and on the short side for anyone else. I have heard people rave about the breakfasts and, though I would certainly go back, I think I would try it during the day next time. The food was great but it is quite classic and doesn't read (to my eyes) like a very exciting menu.

1  Thank Barbara B

Reviewed 21 July 2012

There's a lovely lady working at Zazu's who is, I think, the most professional and courteous waitress we've ever encountered; she worked at the previous restaurant on this site, which boasted great front of house service which wasn't matched by the food. I suspect she manages the place now and that most of the other staff are new to the business. I feel the need to point out that Zaza's have not been open long and that perhaps some of the problems noted by other reviewers are down to teething problems. The food really is lovely, as is the decor and the general ambiance. The experience is not without fault - some of the service is a little slow and when we went (twice in the first few weeks of their existence) I don't think they had really sorted out their processes between the kitchen and the front of house. (In addition their card machine didn't work which meant, embarrassingly, they had to direct customers to a nearby cashpoint - not their fault at all, but some customers were a little disgruntled.) I think for this reason the prices seem a little steep by comparison with some of the competitors in the area. Unlike most of their competition in the area, however, they are open all day and I have heard that they serve the best breakfasts on the Gloucester Rd! I will be stopping by soon for breakfast - I think we may wait a while before we go back for supper, but I'm confident that it will grow to be a huge asset to the local community.

1  Thank ninakent
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had a really delicious evening meal here. We were a table of 4 and we all chose different dishes - no-one had a disappointing choice. We all thought the food was of a high quality and a cut above some other local restaurants.

The ambience/decor was great too, I'd be as happy to go here for brunch or a romantic meal - I like the fact that it feels sophistocated without being stuffy. Unlike the previous reviews we were happy with the service - or we certainly didn't have any problems.

Can't comment on the desserts as we didn't have them, but we did share a delicious (if slightly small!) cheeseboard.

I think this is a great addition to the Glos Rd, and plan to try it out for a family brunch soon.

So, 5 stars!

1  Thank Cally11
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I ate here recently on a (rare) sunny morning not so long after the restaurant had opened. On arrival, we were informed by the manager (owner?) that they were opening in 10 minutes. Fine - it was a nice day so we decided to sit out front. The same person then wandered off for 10 minutes for a cigarette before heading inside. After some more time, we were informed that he needed to print off some menus (why not pre print?). After some time again(!), he presented the menus. We opted for coffee and the standard breakfast. It was a further 15 minutes before someone arrived back to take our orders (I might add, there were only a few people sat down at this point). It was a minimum 10 minutes before we recieved our coffee (again, it wasn't busy), and before we could ask for sugar, the waitress promptly turned around and walked away. We shrugged our shoulders and after wandering around for a few seconds, managed to find sugar cubes on an ajacent table. It was some time before our food arrived. Yet again(!) the waitress turned around and wandered off before we could ask for sauces.

At this point, we were hot and rather annoyed so tucked into our food. At this point we were pleasantly suprised to find that the quality was first rate; lovely orange eggs and delicious sausages. One of the better breakfasts I've had in a while.

All in all, an extremely frustrating experience. The quality of the food was excellent and the setting itself is tastefully decorated. However there was a real arrogance / indifference to the service that left a bitter taste in the mouth. In some ways, I'd like to give this another go, however it wasn't cheap (£18 for 2 x coffees and 2 x breakfasts), and frankly the Gloucester Road has an abundance of better options. What a shame.

2  Thank Kieran D
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

decided to try out this place as i live near glouster road the area ia pertect but the weather was a bit bown beat so i sat in side the intrea is well lit and gd space they have two menu on at lunch a brunch menu and A liter menu i went for the lunch menu i started with a apsafouse raped im parma ham with poached egg on a slice of sour dow bread with a holidays sauce it was well blanced i then had a zazu bugger witch was well seasond the right amount of cheese fries and salad from a team of chefs wutch know what they are doing in the kitchen but i have to say that the frount of house is terible i had finished my drink and every time they just seemed to look at me but did not acnollage me they seemed to be more intersted in them self it would be 3 stars but the food save it masily i would only recomed it for the food

1  Thank southwestreviews