“One of my favourite places to eat (or drink)”
Review of Zazu's Kitchen - CLOSED

Zazu's Kitchen
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: All day neighbourhood brasserie, fantastic breakfasts, wonderful lunches and sublime suppers.
“One of my favourite places to eat (or drink)”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Zazu's has nailed the relaxed informal atmosphere. The inside is fresh but intimate and the outside decking area is a cozy suntrap that belies the fact its on a busy road.

Breakfasts are tasty, high quality and satisfying portions. Evening meals show a respect for local ingredients and interesting cooking styles without being remotely pretentious. Or you can just go for cocktails, such good cocktails!

At the pricier end of the Gloucester Rd eateries, but completely reflecting the quality of the meal and attention to detail.

Have been for breakfast with family, afternoon drinks with the ladies, romantic dinners, and even booked out nearly the whole restaurant (42 diners!) for a christmas event and have always had a good time.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Laura_g_bristol

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Brekkie”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed with friends who live just off Gloucester road and we always make it a habit to go out for breakfast at least one of the mornings when we are visiting. Superb breakfast and reasonably priced with a good choice, but gets very busy on a weekend so be warned!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sopie40
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic night- great food , excellent service”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had a wonderful evening here with a large group of friends .Despite the considerable size of our party service was excellent , staff couldnt have been more helpful and efficient and the food was superb . We all had the 2 course £11.50 earlybird menu which was exceptional value for money . I had the fish soup which was delicious and those who had the steak were very impressed with its quality. We will definitely return soon ,.Eating out is about three things atmosphere , quality of the food and welcoming , friendly service . This place has it all .

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank isobeljt
tobi1kenobi, Owner at Zazu's Kitchen, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you Isobel, I'm glad your party of 29 was a success, I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience, and I'll pass your appreciation on to the team.
Best
Toby Zazu
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Appalling slow service ...”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just been for dinner with a group of friends - evening spoiled by appalling slow service, an over-stretched waiter being inappropriately rude, and when the food arrived - potions being far too small .... Yes the food tastes good ... Most of us had sea bass ...But you need more staff to provide a good service .. And if we have to sit that long waiting for it then give us more .... Looked liked you'd cut it in to small pieces to make it go round ....

• Visited July 2014
tobi1kenobi, Owner at Zazu's Kitchen, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Jetta047, I feel moved by your review to respond.
Firstly I would like to apologise that your party found their wait too long and that you found the service slow and would like to explain how this happened. Being a small restaurant (45 covers) timing is paramount, a party of 10 is obviously nearly a quarter of our space. Tables are given times to facilitate a smooth service and to allow us to give the service we pride ourselves on (see other reviews), I accept that sometimes the fates conspire to create tardiness in our guests and when that happens we try to deal with it as well as possible, without upsetting our other guests that had the respect to arrive on time. In situation like this normally a phone call is made to alert us to a late arrival ( again a respect thing).
So when on a fully booked Thursday night one guest in the party arrives 40 minutes late for a 8.15 booking (of which they are not the host, without informing either the charming hostess or restaurant) then 3 minutes later feels the need to summon the waiter across the (small) restaurant while he is taking an order at another table without using customary terms such as 'please' could you take our order, then do not be surprised when the waiter (in this case me) feels the need to point out that as he has already communicated to the hostess that he now has no option but to take another two orders before theirs as their table is very late and will be another 5 minutes. We are here to serve and inform you and we aim to improve your evening, I for one really enjoy my job and the different people we encounter within it. However although we serve we are not servile, we deserve mutual respect and 99% of the time rise above rudeness of guests (although this is an extremely rare occurance) but once in a while you have a type such as yourself .
As you have felt the need to bring this into the public domain this is where I have to reply, the fact that this was not your party but you feel the need to complain is shocking, especially when members of your party felt the need to apologise for your conduct.
But again I apologise that some were unhappy and will strive to prevent this happening in the future.

Yours

Toby Bywater
Director

PS Our seabass dish is extremely popular and its size has never been is question so I can only presume you are grasping at straws, and to suggest I give extra to one such as yourself is astounding. Although as some of your party arrived early I would imagine by that point they were really hungry so maybe I should have suggested they have a starter which are designed to be served swiftly as well as the bread and olives they had whilst awaiting your arrival.
PPS All our food is prepared to order so when jumping to a main course it takes some time to cook, especially when dishes such as a medium well steak is on the order which takes 25minutes to cook and rest correctly from the word go.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service as always”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We were on Gloucester road late on a Friday evening and found ourselves gravitating towards Zazus as we have never had a bad meal here. Again, the food was great, the starter of cod cheeks in breadcrumbs with romesco sauce absolutely delicious and perfect with the Langhi Ghiran Riesling, a very fair £21 on the list. My main of pork chop was equally good (and enormous!) and my wife thought the judgement of the flavours on her sea bass was spot on. Very accomplished cooking here, friendly service and a very nice setting, especially sat outside on such a balmy evening. Thanks again Zazus!

Visited July 2014