“Great little place to stop...”
Review of Woolly Cactus

Woolly Cactus
Ranked #633 of 1,624 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Mexican
Aldington, United Kingdom
“Great little place to stop...”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I can't exaggerate when I say that I spotted this place whilst waiting for a bus - I had always assumed it was just a small little tapas-like stand, maybe a thing for the tourists. Forgive my attitude.

I realised the other day they did burritos, one of my personal favourites. Of course, given man's desire for a burrito every once in a while I popped down there yesterday lunch time.

Firstly, I have to say, I'm amazed that I hadn't gone there before, the smell could attract people from Mexico itself.
There was nobody waiting so I found myself ordering pretty quickly. The lady behind the counter is very friendly and I think really likes what she's doing - always a good sign.

When it comes to the burrito itself... Well, it was lovely. Pulled pork has a special place in my heart and this example was delicious. I thought the habanero sauce was great, adds a lovely kick to it (not for the faint-hearted)
I think it is a little on the small side considering you're paying £5 for it, but I think that's probably my gluttony more than a genuine complaint.

I'll definitely be back, lovely place to grab lunch.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mjhansford

United Kingdom
“Great Mexican in the making.”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Knowing me for the Mexican fiend that I am, a friend recommended the Woolly Cactus as a lunchtime option and so in their first week of trading I appeared at the very cute truck (decorated with knitted items made by the staff themselves!) expecting a massive queue and a wealth of options for my lunch.

Fortunately, there was no queue, but in the brief five minute wait I was there a further 6 people appeared behind me as I waited for me order. I suspect it might have been worse earlier in the lunchtime window, but as I was later than perhaps a lot of the visitors, I was presented with a reduced choice. I opted for a quesadilla, which was perfectly tasty, accompanied by various dips and some pico de gallo that packed a small punch - delicious.

I am told there are significant other choices as a side dish, but that they had simply run out, as had been the case every day in their first week - a testament to their popularity. This would normally have been a £5.50 lunch deal (with a soft drink) but due to the reduced choices, they offered me a £1 reduction, which more than made up for the shortages.

The main gripe I have with this otherwise excellent offering, is the packaging that they use. Although it's a takeaway, it's simply not practical if you are planning on sitting in a park and eating it. Furthermore, putting a quesadilla into a loose bag in the upright position, is never going to end well (with regards to its structural integrity) and left me with a slightly soggy quesadilla. Although the glass bottles of coke are a fantastic touch, again, you need to have it opened for you there and then, or face a battle with a bottle top and no bottle opener.

Apparently doubling their quantities each day in the first week, the Woolly Cactus is still finding its feet, but I would implore you to be patient as this is a gem that is just waiting to be polished to its full glory. Friendly staff and a great addition to Bristol's centre - 7.5/10.

• Visited August 2012