“What a find !!”

Woolly Cactus
Ranked #654 of 1,643 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A few weeks ago I started a new job near the city centre and visited The Wooly Cactus on recommendation and was not disappointed. The shack was easily recognisable, painted lime green and standing on one side of Bristol bridge, I was greeted by a cheerful smiley young lady, I ordered a pulled pork burrito with all the toppings, it was amazing full of taste and much larger than I expected, I have gone back a few more times having tried the chicken fajitas which is also top class. I had no hesitation in recommending it to my work colleagues. Top marks for terrific food and first class service.

There are newer reviews for Woolly Cactus

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I can't exaggerate when I say that I spotted this place whilst waiting for a bus - I had always assumed it was just a small little tapas-like stand, maybe a thing for the tourists. Forgive my attitude.

I realised the other day they did burritos, one of my personal favourites. Of course, given man's desire for a burrito every once in a while I popped down there yesterday lunch time.

Firstly, I have to say, I'm amazed that I hadn't gone there before, the smell could attract people from Mexico itself.
There was nobody waiting so I found myself ordering pretty quickly. The lady behind the counter is very friendly and I think really likes what she's doing - always a good sign.

When it comes to the burrito itself... Well, it was lovely. Pulled pork has a special place in my heart and this example was delicious. I thought the habanero sauce was great, adds a lovely kick to it (not for the faint-hearted)
I think it is a little on the small side considering you're paying £5 for it, but I think that's probably my gluttony more than a genuine complaint.

I'll definitely be back, lovely place to grab lunch.

1  Thank Mjhansford
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Knowing me for the Mexican fiend that I am, a friend recommended the Woolly Cactus as a lunchtime option and so in their first week of trading I appeared at the very cute truck (decorated with knitted items made by the staff themselves!) expecting a massive queue and a wealth of options for my lunch.

Fortunately, there was no queue, but in the brief five minute wait I was there a further 6 people appeared behind me as I waited for me order. I suspect it might have been worse earlier in the lunchtime window, but as I was later than perhaps a lot of the visitors, I was presented with a reduced choice. I opted for a quesadilla, which was perfectly tasty, accompanied by various dips and some pico de gallo that packed a small punch - delicious.

I am told there are significant other choices as a side dish, but that they had simply run out, as had been the case every day in their first week - a testament to their popularity. This would normally have been a £5.50 lunch deal (with a soft drink) but due to the reduced choices, they offered me a £1 reduction, which more than made up for the shortages.

The main gripe I have with this otherwise excellent offering, is the packaging that they use. Although it's a takeaway, it's simply not practical if you are planning on sitting in a park and eating it. Furthermore, putting a quesadilla into a loose bag in the upright position, is never going to end well (with regards to its structural integrity) and left me with a slightly soggy quesadilla. Although the glass bottles of coke are a fantastic touch, again, you need to have it opened for you there and then, or face a battle with a bottle top and no bottle opener.

Apparently doubling their quantities each day in the first week, the Woolly Cactus is still finding its feet, but I would implore you to be patient as this is a gem that is just waiting to be polished to its full glory. Friendly staff and a great addition to Bristol's centre - 7.5/10.

2  Thank MCRX