“Access staff amazing”
Review of Bristol Hippodrome

Bristol Hippodrome
Ranked #53 of 217 things to do in Bristol
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have been to see various shows at the Bristol Hippodrome but this is the first time I have reviewed it. On this occasion I went to see 'Singing in the Rain' with my husband. Unfortunately two weeks ago (after I booked my tickets) I broke my leg and ankle. I get around using crutches and a wheelchair. I contacted the Hippodrome's access team who advised me on whether I would still be able to attend. They were very thorough and helpful but unfortunately all of the wheelchair accessible seats were booked and all of the boxes on the ground floor. I indicated I thought I would be ok as our seats were in the central aisle. On arrival the gentleman at the access door (Denmark street) could not have been more helpful. He was friendly, funny and gave great help and advice on getting us in. Unfortunately I couldn't elevate my leg enough in the aisle so we were allowed to move into one of the boxes on the Grand circle level. It was unfortunate that others decided to just sit there anyway without even asking and one chap dumped his children in a box while he sat elsewhere. The children were not interested in the show and proceeded to make comments, noise and chat all the way through the second half of the show. However that was the parents fault not the Hippodrome.

It's an old building with major constrains on what they could do to make it better. The toilets are always a bit tight and the bar staff can be slow. However all staff are friendly and helpful.. Tickets are expensive, seats and leg room too small but I think it's a beautiful building. I'm sure we'll b back. p.s. Singing in the rain was fantastic.

All reviews
"interval drinks"
in 11 reviews
"booked tickets"

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Now this review is purely about the theatre itself and not the show...parking in Trenchard Street is a doddle and after 1800hrs is only £2.50 which I don't think is bad and is only a short walk to the theatre. Top tip, if you have tickets to collect get there early, the box office que was huge. Into the theatre itself and yes you could tell it was outdated, carpets and a lick of paint, and the toilets. Only a very small stand to buy show goods, sweets and drinks. I bought 2 x water and a bag of Cadbury buttons and it cost £8 which I think was a bit pricey. Seating was uncomfortable and old, and doesn't help when someone with a melon sized head sits in front of you. Plus they had a neck the size of ET to charge £1 for the hire of some cheap, plastic kids binos. All in all the shows will outweigh all the real estate negatives, but please look at a renovation.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've been there last weekend and enjoyed Signing in the rain Musical. It was superb!!!
I would recommend anyone to catch the show.

However the Hippodrome Theater is a bit old where the seating is not very nice. Afterall the seats on upper circle is cheap and the theater size is small enough.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I live in Bristol and have been to the Bristol Hippadrome on many occassions, I have seen some very good shows but the seating has a lack of padding making you backside sore. The carpet on the floor is stained with dirt marks. I do not know how the Hippadrome charge such high prices without investing some money back intio the theatre.