“Head waitress incredibly rude, lacked any ambience”
Review of Wilks Restaurant

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 1,595 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
“Head waitress incredibly rude, lacked any ambience”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Myself and my parents ate on a Saturday evening at 7pm, only 2 other tables in the restaurant were taken until 8:30pm. We asked if it was possible to move tables, but basically were told whoever books first gets the best tables and as we were the last to book ( 6 weeks prior!) we had the last/ worst table( we were right by the door on a very cold night). She wasn't prepared to move us...the restaurant completely lacked any ambience, no warmth in decor very basic, it was quiet and we felt we had to whisper, the restaurant just felt so empty and lifeless. We ordered wine and weren't offered to taste, it was just left in a wine cooler on the table, my fathers beer was handed to him in a bottle and a glass was given to him... I agree with previous reviews, staff were rather stiff no rapport or any kind of interaction. I had eaten there previously for lunch with my husband and had a lovely time, however after this experience I won't be returning, I'm sure the initial interest will die down and I'm sure I won't be the only one not returning. However on a plus note, food was excellent. For an Overall experience it's not all about the food, and for this reason I won't be returning. My husband and I have eaten in many michelin star restaurants (and others!) which were a far more enjoyable experience....

1 Thank Kateroberts2631

• Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A worthy Michelin star”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Wilks is the latest addition to the Michelin Star restaurants in Bristol and we think, now that Bells Diner has changed format, it is unquestionably the best place to eat in the city. Following the usual warm welcome, we were spoilt for choice, both in food and wine terms. We started with quail salad followed with sea bass and halibut. All of the dishes were beautifully presented and arrived at just the right time. Service was attentive but not intrusive and the whole experience was fully worthy of its Star. One drawback: we've been going there since they opened and, although we're delighted with their success, it does mean that we have to book well in advance!

Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Food very good but ambiance and service need some work”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Each course is delivered with a flourish and flurry of Waiters and is a feast for your eyes and tastebuds, beautifully sculpted and described when delivered. Worth the Michelin star. However, the constant topping up of our wine and water glasses bordered on intrusion and became very irritating which was a shame, even after we said we didn't want any more water. There was no interaction with the Waiters during our meal and although you can't fault their efficiency, they lacked some warmth between them and their customers. The lighting and decor is a tad dull in the evening and the night light in the middle of the table wasn't really enough to be able to read the Menu easily. On a positive note the food was lovely but the staff need to relax a little to create the right atmosphere.

1 Thank davinafoodie12
Bristol
“Lunch at Wilks - Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had a very enjoyable lunch at Wilks yesterday. Set menu was amazing value and between us we sampled the whole menu. Each course was beautifully presented and the taste matched the presentation. Looking forward to my next visit! Booking is essential.

London, United Kingdom
“Worth a trip out of the City Centre”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I read that Wilks had just received a Michelin Star and so decided to fit in a trip while visiting my son in Bristol. It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the city centre and we booked an early Sunday lunchtime slot.

We were the first to arrive and the welcome was warm and friendly. They found us a secluded table and were happy to spend a little time chatting about the restaurant, how it came about etc.

I had expected it to be very busy of a Sunday lunchtime and it did fill up but certainly not to capacity. So there was a nice atmosphere, not too much noise and a good staff to table ratio. Perfect for us.

The menu had a good range of tantalising options. My son had the pigeon to start while I'd enjoyed a delicious creamy risotto topped with a generous shaving of truffle. We followed up with duck and roast beef-the latter accompanied by a separate bowl of crispy yorkshires and a really deep rich gravy. Sides of carrots, cabbage and a velvety mash topped it off. For fish lovers there were crab and scallops in the starters and turbot and monkfish in the mains, and I was sorely tempted!

Desserts included some interesting ideas and the meringues were spectacular; a perfect sphere of crispy meringue with a tasty sorbet waiting to surprise. The textures of chocolate was opulent and the cheeseboard especially memorable for the exquisite fig jam and quince jelly.

A lot of effort and attention to detail to deliver great testing plates that still retain a simplicity that I really enjoyed. There were of course also some little extras - mini tartlets (the onion particularly delicious) and petit fours.

The wine list has a good range of options. Not just styles but also quantities which makes it very easy to accommodate all tastes and preferences.

All in all really top quality food in a relaxed atmosphere and at a fair price.