“amazing brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast
Bristol
“amazing brunch”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had two of the seasonal specials: I had the smoked haddock fish cakes with poached egg and hollandaise, and my girlfriend had the baked egg on Hart's sourdough with fried vegetables (red onions, peppers, and squash). The latter was supposed to come with salami, but we substituted vegetarian sausages. It was all really fantastic. These are the best fishcakes I've ever had: the texture was wonderful, with small chunks of potato and other ingredients, especially including large pieces of smoked haddock -- not puréed to mush like in many cases! The skin was also delightful, really thick and almost crunch, not thin and greasy, again like most fish cakes. The poached egg was perfect and they didn't drown it in hollandaise: just enough. Served with a really big piece of lemon for seasoning, although I should mention the internal seasoning in the fish cake was also unusually good. We'll definitely be back!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank poliorketes

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Relaxed atmosphere, varied menu and delicious food :-)”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited Workhouse Cafe at 'brunch time' on a Sunday. We arrived before the café had officially opened but were happy to sit and select our food in the relaxed atmosphere. We would thoroughly recommend the veggie breakfast which is a very good value meal, beautifully presented and cooked to perfection! Slices of granary toast, home made baked beans, 2 runny poached eggs and veggie sausages were washed down with a coffee! Yummy! Go and visit this fab independent café!

• Visited May 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“So good we came back again and again”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

In Bristol only 4 days, we stumbled on the Workhouse Café by accident-- and were so impressed by our lunch, we sought it out twice more (once for brunch, once for mid-afternoon tea)!

The fare is simple, homemade, wholesome, and ever so tasty-- definitely better than meals in most fancy, expensive restaurants. I'm not usually one to share my food-- but we couldn't help passing our plates (and glasses)! We had DEElicious fresh juices (my favourite was the carrot-apple-ginger), and over our three visits had a range of dishes, but our favourites were the homemade soups, breads, and cakes. It is a small café, however, with only a few tables-- we were lucky each time to arrive before or after the big 'rush hour' times.

I will certainly eat the Workhouse Café again next time I'm in Bristol!

• Visited March 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good venue but pricey for standard veggie breakfast”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Located on a busy junction the Workhouse Cafe is not the quietest place to relax for a coffee or snack - however it does attract a diverse clientele who are happy to ignore the traffic and noise from the occasional ambulance siren. The attraction is a rustic look with seasonal veg in the window and a good display of healthy homemade food items displayed in the counter area. I wanted to try out the veggie breakfast. It was a no fuss, standard breakfast, but I felt I had tasted better for less than the £6.50 price tag - which incidently is the same price for a full 'meaty' breakfast. Perhpas next time I should turn up for lunch. Overall, sound service, bit of a buzz venue.

• Visited October 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good food, tea and lovely staff!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The food here's great and the staff really friendly. They do a good selection of teas and cakes. Lunchtime can be busy and not always easy to get a table straight away but worth waiting.

• Visited September 2013