“A genuine pub with great food”
Review of Volunteer Tavern

Volunteer Tavern
Ranked #272 of 1,674 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rough, ready and real.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I took a Spanish and Italian student to the Volunteer for early supper. Here is what they thought.
Paola: "I hadn't been in a pub before. I think the Volunteer Tavern is a good pub, you can choose from a wide food and beer selection. The building is awesome and the bar staff are friendly and sociable. The pub also has a comfortable garden and is usually busy. The burger with chips and salad, which I had was very good and home made."

Idoia: "My first impression was that the pub was friendly and welcoming. The food was very good, I chose a homemade cajun chicken burger, and I drank a new drink that I've never tried, Elderflower. It was a really good visit and I would love to return again."

It's a great place to go to show overseas guests a genuine pub. Even better was that it was 241 burger night on Tuesday so it was excellent value!

1  Thank Anna R

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Disappointing Sunday lunch - went for the trinity (all three roasts) as was very hungry and happy to pay the extra. Ended up with actually less meat despite paying the extra. The "rare" topside was most certainly not rare, the pork was lovely but minimal, the chicken breast was not breast but a drumstick. The veg was just broccoli and carrots - very bland and a further extra for cauliflower cheese, which in most Sunday lunches would come with the meal.

2  Thank Martin L
VolunteerTavern, Owner at Volunteer Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Martin L

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate the feedback, you've outlined specific issues and given us something to work with.

As mentioned in my response above, I held a staff meeting today to address all the issues in your review and we came up with solutions to make sure this doesn't happen again. More flavour in the veg, larger portions, better skills on the grill (so that beef is rare), more focus on staff training and more.

It would appear that we had a really bad Sunday, but hopefully you'll believe that it is just a bump in what has been a smooth road. We all work extremely hard to make the pub what it is, and it would be so upsetting to see it all go to waste because of complacency.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your meal. I hope you come back another time to try us again but I'd understand your reluctance. If you have any further comments please email me on volunteertavern@gmail.com as your feedback really is appreciated (I had no idea!).

Regards
Pete

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked a table mid-week for my birthday this week, based on TripAdvisor reviews, reasonable prices and a place my friends and I hadn't explored yet.

Due to the Bristol traffic, we were late, so I called ahead to let them know, which wasn't a problem. When we finally did arrive, we couldn't decide whether to sit inside or out. We decided out, but then got chilly as the heaters didn't work, so came back in. There was also a pub dog, Treacle, who belongs to the chef. She is very well behaved, and doesn't beg and understands the word "no".

I had a burger, and my friends had other various meals from the menu including mezze, chicken and halloumi salad, fish and chips and spinach, stilton and walnut parcel. It was all very tasty!! My only suggestion for the burger would be to have it cooked more medium rather than well done.

The staff were kind enough to let me bring my own birthday cake and let me borrow a knife. I ended up sharing some of the cake, which wasn't a problem as there was plenty to go around!

We were very well looked after and will definitely be back to try a Sunday Roast!

2  Thank beany63
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Thanks to Tripadvisor we had the pleasure of lunch in the Volunteer Tavern. Although some could be put off by the external appearance, the Pub is both very friendly and relaxing. Their beer garden is really nice; secluded and quiet yet we were only 100meteres away from Cabot Circus. Food and service were excellent and the menu is very tempting. In addition all items look very good value for money. The pie was excellent and the burgers looked really good. All of the food was far superior to the cook in the bag stuff that is sold in the chains over in the shopping centre. We will definitely be back for more.

2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 5 July 2014

All of my meals here have been consistent and excellent. The menu changes frequently and is always interesting for a pub menu. The beers are well kept and change regularly, albeit locally sourced. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and there is a lovely yard to sit out in. A real gem of the pub, really close to the city centre. I have held off reviewing it as I did not want it to get so busy I could not get in! But it deserves every success for being a really well run quality pub.

3  Thank RichDG