“Go for the crackling!!”
Review of Volunteer Tavern

Volunteer Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Volunteer Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 1,576 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rough, ready and real.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Go for the crackling!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Visited here for Sunday roast and was surprised how tasty and good value for money it all was! The pork crackling was the best I've had, nice vibe and quirky outdoor area! Worth visiting definitely!

1 Thank foodcritic25_12

Stockholm, Sweden
“Quality of Sunday roast has dropped. ”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I've been here quite a few times and loved the Sunday roast. However, last Sunday (20th July) was a disappointment. I was a bit wary reading the reviews but hoped that the owners staff meeting would have sorted out the problems. It hadn't. The beef was dry and over cooked, not the usual pink. Worst was that the amount was much less than usual. Only two thin slices. The waiter insisted it was 8 ounces, but it really wasn't more than 100 grams. The potatoes were stale and the veggies were cold. It's a shame. I used to love the roasts here, now it's taking too big of a risk.

2 Thank melia855
Bristol
“A total surprise, one of the best.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having seen the a Volunteer Tavern over years and thinking it was a dingy local, I came across the reviews on here a few weeks ago. 19th position in the whole if Bristol? That suggested that this place was worth checking out, and one reviewer said he are here every time he stayed in Bristol.

So on the spur of the moment we went tonight. We arrived to a jolly atmosphere and Ordered drinks and food, there was a super selection of speciality beers and the menu was varied and not your average pub food. I'd also heard rumours about their home made burgers so gave it a try.

We ordered a chilli burger and I think spinach and ricotta parcels. The meals were no less than outstanding, cooked perfectly and tasted great.

Realising we had to get back home before our children did we were going to leave the dessert but were given the menu before we declined them. And what a relief we did because my gingerbread cake with hot caramel sauce, cream and raspberries was one of the best desserts I have ever....and I mean ever....had! And as we eat out probably twice a week in Bristol and have done for many years this was no simple undertaking!

Just can't wait to go back, thoroughly impressed.

2 Thank samgees
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A find”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had tickets for a concert at Bristol Trinity so looked around for something close and found the Volunteer Tavern. Super friendly people - lovely place with a great atmosphere - the food was extremely reasonable, creative menu and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. My only problem now is to find enough concerts to give us an excuse to go back as soon as possible!

1 Thank sarajespersen
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, drink and atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lovely pub and garden with an adorable dog!
The mezze platters were out of this world and the onion rings some of the best I've ever tasted. Falafel wrap and pulled pork bap were highly recommended by my fellow diners!
Some of the friendliest bar staff I've ever come across and little tasters of the unknown brews before we bought.
I wish this pub was in my town!! Amazing - highly recommended.

1 Thank jessikay