“Frustrating service”

Ranked #82 of 1,762 Restaurants in Bristol
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I've been here quite a few times and whilst I enjoy the atmosphere once I'm sat down I often find that when you walk in you are ignored. I came in at 4pm and the girls were tidying up ready for a 5pm close but they were so busy trying to shut that they didn't seem interested in serving anyone. Most annoyingly there was a girl stood at the counter texting on her phone, but no acknowledgement whatsoever. If she wasn't working then a simple, 'I'll get someone else to come help you' would suffice. I must have stood at the front ready to order for 5 minutes before anyone took any notice. That is just unacceptable, I felt quite unwelcome.

2  Thank Jusbe

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I went with a friend and was super surprised walking in. I had no idea that this place even existed but it truly is very lovely! Very cute and the staff were soooo welcoming. It felt like visiting friends as opposed to being treated as someone to try and get money out of. Really cute interior, books and plants and made to feel comfortable with candles too! It looked like it could be really nice to sit outside in the day too. They changed the platter to suit my vegan diet and it was all amazing! The patatas bravas were the best part... Along with the cocktails which were super yummy! Highly recommended. I went with just a friend but perfect for couples (there were a fair few around) or groups!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

the cafe itself is very sweet and the food is really quite good too but its quite pricey and the service is pretty poor. The girls are generally scowling and it takes far far too long to get a coffee, and it is always awful, cold and bitter. good place for lunch or breakfast if you have time and your not a coffee drinker

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here numerous times with family, friends and solo and I love it with or without company. The food is of a high standard and although the menu is small it's clear that the owners have put real attention into those things. The food has brilliant flavours and I've tried many new dishes there which have converted me to things I previously thought I disliked. The soup changes every few days but the butternut squash and the tomato soup were game changers for me, unparalleled anywhere else. The bread is also better than most, and locally supplied from Bishopston bakery (I know because I asked so I could buy myself some!) The salads are diverse and delicious , though sometimes a bit lemony for me. Anyway it appears I could go on all day so I will round up with the three best things : 1. Coffee 2. Bacon sandwich 3. Brownie. All these things and more are the better than I've had elsewhere. The only downside is parking can be difficult if it's a weekday , and it is a bit pricey for a breakfast so I usually go for a bacon or mushroom ciabatta, however the bristolian full English is what it's famous for and will set you up for the day so probably worth the money if you've got it.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Bristolian has a welcoming ambience and friendly staff. As well as the range of breakfasts, with veggie options, it offers tapas, salads and daily specials. I regularly have a late breakfast there and found the standard of food consistently excellent. Everything has been carefully souced - organic eggs, excellent bacon - even the bread used for toast is an excellent choice. Last Tuesday I went for an evening meal when they had a pizza night - build your own pizza. The base is light and crisp and the topping made to your requirements with fresh ingredients. The result was excellent. All four of us had quite different pizzas - and all four were first rate. A great,low key night out, with a well thought out selection of wines. All the deliciously fresh cakes are expertly baked on site. You get good value for money here.