“Disappointing Birthday Treat”

Price range: US$1 - US$59
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Vintage inspired Tearoom and Bar, with a quirky Cox & Baloney twist. Serving brunch, lunch and Afternoon teas. Specialising in hosting vintage-style tea parties for all occasions, loose tea, teapot cocktails, local gins and cheese/meat Sharer boards. Private party room hire
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Took my mum out for lunch here for her birthday at the weekend. We don't eat out often so I was excited to visit somewhere so unique. The website looks fantastic, it was just a shame it didn't match up to the food we received.

Despite booking a table, I was greeted to confused faces and told I didn't book a table? Luckily still got seated as it wasn't busy.

Lovely decor, but shame about the uncleanliness of the teacups and tablecloths. My mum had lipstick left over from the last customer on her teacup and the butter knives were fish knives?

I ordered tea and scones, and my mum and sister ordered toasties. After waiting quite a while, (although to be fair there was only one girl preparing all of the food) we received our orders.

There seemed to be something extra put into my sister's toastie and we tried to hold back from laughing as we extracted warm cucumber from the tuna mayonnaise? Unfortunately, my sister hates cucumber so we asked why it was there and was told they had run out of tomatoes for the "tuna, cheese and tomato toastie" which we ordered so substituted for warm cucumber without even asking? Very strange, but provided us with a giggle at least.

The girl was very apologetic and polite when we explained and topped up our tea and gave more crisps. It's just a shame that the rest of the food didn't make up for the toastie.

My scones were rather dry and in my opinion, the breakfast tea was horrible. My mum's toastie was better (brie and cranberry) but didn't seem very substantial for £4.75. The bread looks like ordinary sliced white and the salad was unfortunately, on the brown, wilted side.

Upon leaving, my mum went to the toilet and remarked how unclean it was.

I felt afterwards, that I had let her down by taking her here for her birthday and being honest, I feel like we would have had a nicer time and much better value for money at Costa.

All in all, after the initial confusion about my booking, the staff were friendly enough and I like what they are trying to achieve with the tearoom, I just feel the food and general uncleanliness let it down on this occasion.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Jessica P

TheSeaside
“Hen Party”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Mixed age group hen party to organise, Cox and Baloney v accommodating. Arrived at 11.30, tables in rear tea-room beautifully laid out and waiting for us. Friendly and efficient service, with a vast amount of tasty sandwiches and cakes (those not eaten came home with us in brown bags!) and delicious scones, jam and clotted cream. Lots of helpful advice on which of the many loose teas to sample - strawberries and cream tea worth a try. We bought some loose tea to take away for the hen too. Finished off with teapot cocktails - Lady Amy's and Drunken Granny were groups faves. Wonderful start to our day - thank you to all the lovely ladies at Cox and Baloney!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank TheSeaside
Bristol, United Kingdom
“SO CUTE OMG”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was told that a proper afternoon tea is an essential experience whilst living in the UK. Having never had afternoon tea before I thoroughly enjoyed this experience - so new and exciting and wonderful! When I rang up to book a reservation I was asked if I had any food allergies and even though I don't have any, I was pleasantly surprised that they would accommodate such needs.

The decor was vintage and quirky and cute - I don't know very much about afternoon tea but it struck me as more of a place to hang out with the girlies, as the Instagram-ready aesthetics of the place might not appeal to guys as much. The attached vintage dress boutique adjacent to the tea room should have given me the first clue.

Food was very well presented on the different dishes, tiered cake stands, teapots and cups - can't stop going on about how cute I found everything! We ordered a Gentlemen's Platter which had pork pie, cheese, chutney, ham, bread, pickled gherkins and onions, beetroot and salad - and a single-portion afternoon tea set which came with 4 sandwich triangles, 3 slices of cake and a scone with cream, jam and berries. We had a pot of tea each - the ginger and lemongrass tea was very warm-spicy, I preferred the fruity aroma of the peach white tea, but they have a wonderful selection of tea so there's something for everyone. Everything was delicious and we were so stuffed at the end of it!

Had a great experience and would definitely recommend.

London, United Kingdom
“What a treat!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked to visit Cox and Baloney as part of my friends hen party and we was not disappointed. After a long morning of walking through the city centre we was all more than ready for a glass of bubbly, a cup of tea and some sandwiches and cakes. The selection provided was immense and the groups eyes when they were told we could order more of anything was hilarious! Having said that I think it was a case of eyes bigger than their belly, as we ended up taking a goody bag away with the food we couldn't eat! Thank you for a great afternoon tea, in a fantastic quirky tea room.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Absolutely lovely!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I can't eat gluten and my mum can't eat dairy... no chance of afternoon tea - you'd be allowed to think. Not at Cox and Baloney! I rang ahead to ask - just in case - and, although not the most elegant afternoon tea I've ever seen, it was all lovely and, my goodness was it copious!

Tried a few of the 'Teapot Cocktails" - definitely worth trying before/during/after your tea! My favourite is definitely Lord Earl's Spoilt Nephews Gin and Tonic - so yummy!

The service, very friendly, could have been a little faster and more organised... there was confusion about whether the cocktails should be before/after/whenever the hot tea... but all in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.

(one tip - try to avoid the table right by the loo... everyone leaves the door open and it smells terribly)

• Visited April 2014
AhenC, Owner at Cox and Baloney's Tearoom & Bar, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback, its great to hear back from gluten and diary free customers. We try to cater for as many people as possible and some can be quite a challenge, especially dairy free as nearly everything comes with clotted cream here!

Glad you enjoyed our version and will aim to work on the 'elegance'!
:-)