“Really lovely”

Price range: US$1 - US$63
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent Tearoom & Bar, Bristol. Voted best Tearoom & Cafe in the South West Tourism Awards 2016/17. Owned by two tea addicts. Freshly baked Cakes, Local Gins, Tea Infused Gin, Prosecco, Cheese boards and Teapot Cocktails. Simple Come here, enjoy your brew and take a moment to just stop
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Great decor, lovely homemade cakes, mismatched fine bone chine and a fab selection of teas such as "granny's garden" and "tea dance". Service is good and the place seems really popular. Would recommend.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The place looks nice and the food looks good but the service is terrible. After waiting about 15 mins at our table I had to go and order myself and collect it myself. Whilst the staff were sat about chatting. No welcome or goodbye's either. There are better places to go on Gloucester Road.

4  Thank Dc007c0231
AhenC, Owner at Cox and Baloney's Tearoom & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

We are disappointed to read this as staff training is always ongoing and we push all our staff to be the best they can.
We are currently in the process of training many new members of staff and it seems you may have arrived during one of those times. I can assure you that we don't usually have much time to hang around chatting!
We hope that you do not let this be your final view of us and our business and maybe return to see how it usually is?

We thank you for your feedback though as it only helps us improve

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Took my mum out for lunch here for her birthday at the weekend. We don't eat out often so I was excited to visit somewhere so unique. The website looks fantastic, it was just a shame it didn't match up to the food we received.

Despite booking a table, I was greeted to confused faces and told I didn't book a table? Luckily still got seated as it wasn't busy.

Lovely decor, but shame about the uncleanliness of the teacups and tablecloths. My mum had lipstick left over from the last customer on her teacup and the butter knives were fish knives?

I ordered tea and scones, and my mum and sister ordered toasties. After waiting quite a while, (although to be fair there was only one girl preparing all of the food) we received our orders.

There seemed to be something extra put into my sister's toastie and we tried to hold back from laughing as we extracted warm cucumber from the tuna mayonnaise? Unfortunately, my sister hates cucumber so we asked why it was there and was told they had run out of tomatoes for the "tuna, cheese and tomato toastie" which we ordered so substituted for warm cucumber without even asking? Very strange, but provided us with a giggle at least.

The girl was very apologetic and polite when we explained and topped up our tea and gave more crisps. It's just a shame that the rest of the food didn't make up for the toastie.

My scones were rather dry and in my opinion, the breakfast tea was horrible. My mum's toastie was better (brie and cranberry) but didn't seem very substantial for £4.75. The bread looks like ordinary sliced white and the salad was unfortunately, on the brown, wilted side.

Upon leaving, my mum went to the toilet and remarked how unclean it was.

I felt afterwards, that I had let her down by taking her here for her birthday and being honest, I feel like we would have had a nicer time and much better value for money at Costa.

All in all, after the initial confusion about my booking, the staff were friendly enough and I like what they are trying to achieve with the tearoom, I just feel the food and general uncleanliness let it down on this occasion.

5  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Mixed age group hen party to organise, Cox and Baloney v accommodating. Arrived at 11.30, tables in rear tea-room beautifully laid out and waiting for us. Friendly and efficient service, with a vast amount of tasty sandwiches and cakes (those not eaten came home with us in brown bags!) and delicious scones, jam and clotted cream. Lots of helpful advice on which of the many loose teas to sample - strawberries and cream tea worth a try. We bought some loose tea to take away for the hen too. Finished off with teapot cocktails - Lady Amy's and Drunken Granny were groups faves. Wonderful start to our day - thank you to all the lovely ladies at Cox and Baloney!

1  Thank TheSeaside
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was told that a proper afternoon tea is an essential experience whilst living in the UK. Having never had afternoon tea before I thoroughly enjoyed this experience - so new and exciting and wonderful! When I rang up to book a reservation I was asked if I had any food allergies and even though I don't have any, I was pleasantly surprised that they would accommodate such needs.

The decor was vintage and quirky and cute - I don't know very much about afternoon tea but it struck me as more of a place to hang out with the girlies, as the Instagram-ready aesthetics of the place might not appeal to guys as much. The attached vintage dress boutique adjacent to the tea room should have given me the first clue.

Food was very well presented on the different dishes, tiered cake stands, teapots and cups - can't stop going on about how cute I found everything! We ordered a Gentlemen's Platter which had pork pie, cheese, chutney, ham, bread, pickled gherkins and onions, beetroot and salad - and a single-portion afternoon tea set which came with 4 sandwich triangles, 3 slices of cake and a scone with cream, jam and berries. We had a pot of tea each - the ginger and lemongrass tea was very warm-spicy, I preferred the fruity aroma of the peach white tea, but they have a wonderful selection of tea so there's something for everyone. Everything was delicious and we were so stuffed at the end of it!

Had a great experience and would definitely recommend.