“Quirky, helpful and fun!”

Cox and Baloney's Tearoom & Bar
Ranked #8 of 27 Dessert in Bristol
Price range: US$1 - US$59
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Vintage inspired Tearoom and Bar, with a quirky Cox & Baloney twist. Serving brunch, lunch and Afternoon teas. Specialising in hosting vintage-style tea parties for all occasions, loose tea, teapot cocktails, local gins and cheese/meat Sharer boards. Private party room hire
“Quirky, helpful and fun!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stumbled across this gorgeous tea shop after looking for somewhere for a girlie gathering. I was impressed by the website and knew that it would be just perfect.

Happy to report that the whole experience was outstanding. Jo and the girls were incredibly helpful, especially as I was overseas at the time and trying to book. The afternoon tea Dotty package was good value and making more sandwiches or providing more cakes was no problem at all!

The lovely waitress suggested that we had a variety of different teas, which was a great recommendation.

The whole experience was lovely and it actually felt like walking into Granny's house on a lovely Sunday afternoon for tea and cake! Thanks ladies :-)

My advice - I'm surprised by the negative comments. Take them with a pinch of salt! The staff are very approachable and if there is a problem, tell them and I am sure that it will be sorted :-)

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jo R

Basingstoke, England
“Wonderful afternoon for a hen party!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A great experience from start to finish, from help with booking the right party and pre paying via Jo, choosing the workshops (we opted for the naked butler worlshop and we were not disapointed!)
The tearoom was beautiful, staff friendly, and food delightful!!
All in all, a great afternoon was had, thanks to everyone at Coz and Baloney Tearooms.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Littlezobuttons
Halesowen, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing second time round”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I along with two friends visited here last weekend for afternoon tea. We were seated near the door where it was quite drafty so asked to move which didn't seem to please the staff. We all ordered afternoon tea and pots of different tea. All the food and tea tasted lovely. My friend and I asked for a top up so the member of staff took our pot and just topped it up with hot water resulting in the tea looking and tasting horrible. We asked for a fresh pot from a very disgruntled member of staff and then when the bill came had been charged for the extra pot. I've had afternoon tea at various places before and have never been charged for extra tea. Very disappointed this time round because I went here last year for my hen do and we had a fabulous time all my hens loved it, the staff were fab, food was lovely and there was a never ending supply of any tea we wanted. Hence why we booked here this time. Annoying when I couldn't recommend it enough to my husband and friends who felt the same as me after this visit.

4 Thank Lisa T
AhenC, Owner at Cox and Baloney's Tearoom & Bar, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
To be honest, we are disappointed by your review - we feel this is a little unfair to mark us as 'Poor' when really the only thing that you didn't like was the second pot of tea!?

You say in your review that all the food and tea was great!

We have always offered FREE REFILLS - our tea is good quality & can have up to x3 good refills. We feel it is also a little unfair to assume that we would give away free tea? Our business is tea after all.

Its a shame you didn't write a nice review for us the last time you came, when you had such a good time on your hen do?
Its nice to hear the good stuff as well
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Retro-tastic Hen Weekend”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Great experience from start to finish at Cox & Baloney, I booked well in advance for a large party of hens and found my contacts Katie and Jo very helpful indeed responding quickly to my emails and answering any silly questions I asked!

We had reserved the private tearoom at the back as we had a naked butler (definitely worth every penny if you are thinking of booking - he earned the 5 for service all by himself!!) which was decorated really nicely and the tables looked beautiful!

The cocktails and food did take a little time to arrive but we were a large party and the tearooms above were very busy indeed including another large party - they were definitely worth the wait though - the sandwiches and cakes were fresh and gorgeous (only surpassed by our butler Ash who was tastiest of all!!)

The staff were happy to take photos for us, both in and outside of the premises, our leftovers were quickly bagged up for us to take away and the bill was dealt with promptly.

All in all a great afternoon for everyone, we would definitely recommend C&B to anyone for afternoon tea but particularly to hens looking for a quirky and scrummy daytime activity.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank SezH123
So HAPPY to receive this!
Thank you so much for your lovely review and were are really glad that you all had a nice time!
We have passed your lovely email onto Ash too, which he loved!
Many Thanks! Xx
Bristol, United Kingdom
“2 hours for a sandwich & cake”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had high hopes for this tea room. The décor is great and the cake selection is mouth-watering.
Unfortunately the service is appalling. Firstly, the menus we were given had different prices to the one in the shop front window - more expensive of course, which was frustrating.

It took over half an hour to be served 3 cheese & ham toasties. Well, 2, actually, as mine was forgotten. It took another 15 minutes to be made, by which time my mum and friend had finished theirs. As we were sat directly next to the kitchen it was so frustrating to see afternoon tea platters being made up whilst no one was making my toastie - this really should have been made immediately in my opinion.

When it finally did arrive it did taste lovely so no complaints there. I was offered a free slice of cake by way of apology. We were told that a slice of cake cost £3.75 and I was given the impression it would be a huge portion. Well after finally placing our order and another wait of 15 minutes, I was disappointed to see that the "gigantic" slice of cake was just a very standard serving - this is fine but for £3.75 felt overpriced and mis-sold.

The chai tea I had was lacking flavour, on a blind taste test I would have had no idea it was chai tea.

When it came to leaving nobody said thank you or goodbye to us, which even after a good visit I would expect, but they clearly have no understanding of good customer service and perhaps repeat business is not important to them. It just topped off a very disappointing visit.

It's a shame, as the food was generally nice, and the décor is unique. But without good customer service I can't recommend it to anyone.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank George P
We can only apologise for this.
Every year we love to get involved in the local community and area by having some local students come in to help out as work experience.
We've never had any problems before, but unfortunately, as you came on a very busy weekend, one of our work exp girls decided to take it upon herself to take your order! She wrote down your order wrong, so only two toasties were made and other relevant information was not passed on to the Tearoom supervisor... hence the lengthy wait and wrong food.
We did not realise until it was too late.
We appreciate the feedback, but we would prefer a positive one! - so we would really like to invite you back again, could you maybe get in touch?

Despite this, I'm glad you actually enjoyed the food once it arrive!