“Old Fire Station”

Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Description: We serve great value, freshly prepared food in Bristol City Centre in a relaxed spacious cafe, with plenty of room. We've got a quirky yard at the back (where the Firemen who used to be based here would practice rescuing damsels from our very own fire tower!). We're ideal for a quick bite in your lunch hour, a relaxed lunch with a friend or a cup of tea and a slice of one of our delicious cakes in the afternoon. We also serve a cracking breakfast, with an even bigger breakfast menu on Friday and Saturdays (including the Commander - a plate and a half of breakfast goodness!). We work with a lovely bunch of local suppliers including Mark's Bread, Extract Coffee Roasters, Story Farm, the Severn Project and Somerset Dairies.
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Once upon a time this was the fire station in the centre of Bristol. The guys with the big red lorries have moved south of the river, possibly because the traffic round here is a bit challenging, and the YMCA have moved in, and are running a café bar restaurant on the ground floor.

I had the slightly spicy chicken stew with butternut squash and salad - the lady chose my salad for me and very nice it was too.

My companion had the soup of the day, which was thick and yellow. Probably not banana - I should have asked.

We sat inside - very shabby chic; it was a bit too hot in the courtyard out the back on the day we went.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely breakfast and lunch in here after a busy morning shopping we loved the chilled out atmosphere, friendly staff and music
The food was cooked beautifully with fantastic seasoning and the portions were so generous we took home leftovers for dinner also the best tasting coffee I've had for a long time we will definitely be back soon

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Really nice breakfast. Good coffee. Had the Bacon and eggs scrambled on fresh sourdough. Really tasty, and fresh. Cool place as well, doing something for the community in the YMCA helping people with work experience and getting back into the job market Good social eatery - and the location is great too.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I really like the idea behind this place and the fact that young people get to develop skills in hospitality. Id like people to support this place. However, i found the salads that come with some dishes, lack seasoning and dressing. They are quite boring.
Maybe squeeze some lemons in there. Do something to add to the experience and make the food exciting because it definitely lacks that.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 30 May 2017

if your pretty hungry don't bother as the patronising unfriendly staff wont give you a decent portion even though your paying for it! I made a point and tried helping myself to the salad expressing that I wasn't a child and could help myself. She ran into the Kitchen to get the chef and what ensued was straight out of monty python or the café scene in jack nicholsons five easy pieces. I wont be going back and I advise you not to bother go somewhere friendly that trusts the public.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank vincent_b186220
Ben-and-Beth, Charity Director at The Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for your review. We're sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We take all feedback very seriously, and want our customers to enjoy themselves at The Kitchen. As a charity we exist to provide work experience, training and volunteering opportunities to young people that have faced difficulty in life - and we are very grateful to our customers who support us in this endeavour. I'm sorry you felt the portion of salad wasn't sufficient for you, but like most cafes / restaurants, I'm afraid that we don't let customers help themselves to food, and so the volunteer that served you was only carrying out her role as we have asked her to. We constantly review our offer to ensure that it offers good value to our customers, and also means we can carry on operating and offering opportunities to the young people that we help.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Ben