“Hidden Gem”
Review of Hooper House Cafe - CLOSED

Hooper House Cafe
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had lunch at this friendly Cafe on a Saturday. The staff were busy stocking up on baguettes that were from a local Bakers. The pea and mint soup with fresh bread was a delight on a hot summer's day, and they didn't seem to mind my friend and I working on a project (complete with post-its and A3 sheets) for the rest of the afternoon.

One of the staff was a die-hard Amy Winehouse fan and the soundtrack was a testament to this.

Not sure why it isn't more busy, food and service was 10/10. Perhaps they could attract more trade with some signs outside?

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Really chilled out cafe, always friendly, consistently excellent coffee( and I'm fussy!), good selection of local mags/newspapers, toast and jam/ peanut butter for £1, why would I go anywhere else on my way to work, it's just perfect! Plus the wide selection of homemade cakes look very scrummy as do the amazing value pancakes and maple syrup that I've seen being freshly prepared! It's great sitting up on stools in the window watching the comings and goings on Stokes Croft or there's some comfy sofas to lounge on too. A warm welcome guaranteed!

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I may be biased as I am a local and been frequenting this fine establishment for many a year, but it is not always easy nowadays to find somewhere that fits my criteria for an ideal cafe/restaurant. I don't expect too much, just strong fresh coffee, a friendly, comfortable atmosphere and good freshly cooked food reasonably priced - Hoopers covers all this, but goes a little further in that Andy, the proprietor, naturally laid back and known locally as 'the Oracle' as he can always be relied on to help you finish the crossword - sometimes infuriatingly so - also takes that extra bit of time in preparation of the food; the omelettes have hand-whisked egg whites which take a bit longer, but are well worth the wait. He makes most of the cakes himself, which are yummy, and since he has had pancakes on the menu, I have been coming a lot more often. All in all, good food and coffee, friendly atmosphere and a comfortable place from which to watch the colourful life of Stoke's Croft pass by.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

We had a great lunch at Hooper House Cafe followed by delicious homemade cake and really good coffee. Friendly service and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Popped in for breakfast on the way to the city centre. Passed many busier places and after my experience I can see why. Average breakfast, disappointing coffee and the whole place just felt grubby and unloved. Won't be going back

1  Thank Chelseastew
aspersson, Owner at Hooper House Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Ironically we read this review in the middle of spending an evening redecorating the cafe, so hopefully it will be looking more loved very soon. Sorry you found the breakfast disappointing. We will talk to the staff member on duty to make sure he is making it to the standard we expect. Lastly, we are actually very proud of the reputation we have for excellent coffee and we are sorry that wasn't your experience. Please do drop in for a complimentary coffee next time you are in the area which will hopefully change your mind.