“was ok”

Ranked #343 of 1,579 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$0 - US$21
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A charming Clifton village pub.At the heart of Clifton village you'll find a unique and magical pub, where the much-loved retro décor combines perfectly with walls adorned with local artwork. Soak up the atmosphere over a pint of cask ale and a bit of banter with our friendly bartenders, or tuck into some fresh, seasonal pub food lovingly created in our open kitchen. Better still, why not hold your own celebration in our front bar? Whatever takes your fancy at The Clifton, you won't be disappointed.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“was ok”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

we chose from the set menu, which was ok, portion sizes a little small but good enough. popular place was very busy when we left

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jones7778

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Burry Port
“Nice bar and good food”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Met up with a friend at this lovely pub. They seemed to have a very good selection of drinks. We also ate there and the standard of food was pretty good - freshly cooked fish and decent chips.

Visited April 2014
london
“appalling food and smells”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Although a nice pub and good bar staff, we had a meal this evening and have to say I was discussed by the quality. I ordered the pie and mash and was given a half ar$ed spoonful of mash, a pile of soggy tinned carrots and an average pie. At £12 for the 'honour' I really feel this was a miss take. Most gastro places around clifton offer pretty good food for around this price, this place offered a table of four something more akin to somthing easy jet would offer if they ran the nhs. When complaining to the waiter I was offered a slightly nonchalant remark about letting the 'chef' know. Over all I would advise never spending your money on food here, Not when there are so many other places that work so much harder to deliver quality eating. As for the foul smell every time the toilet doors were opened really added to a disappointing experience. If your thinking of this place, see if you can go to the Albion instead.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank jamesgarside
Grenoble, France
“Life-changing fish and chips.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Bit confused by previous reviews here - perhaps we had a fluke but my boyfriend and I had quite possibly the best pub lunch we have EVER had (and trust me, we've sampled a few between us).

In Bristol for a weekend away we'd heard Clifton was a good place to spend the evening so we took a gamble on the Clifton. The pub has a great atmosphere and the staff were very friendly, finding us a table with no problem.

I had the cider battered fish and chips and worry I may never love anything as much as I did that meal. Everything was absolutely spot on - from the delicious cider batter to the minty peas and wonderfully fresh chips. My partner felt the same about his sausages and mustard mash!

Absolutely fabulous food, exactly what you want from a pub. I would have paid double what we did, it was so good!

• Visited February 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Daylight robbery!!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We visited the clifton for a much looked forward to roast dinner and was shocked by the lack of quality and quantity! For £13.50 for a roast plus £3.50 each for a side of cauliflower cheese, we expected great things but no.. I sent the first order back. The dinner arrived in 10 mins after the initial order which seemed amazing however what appeared was a dry old burnt Yorkshire pudding, tiny small old potatoes that looked like ones from a frozen packet, seasonal vegetables equated to one tiny bit of cabbage and then a mix of minute carrots and swede mix that must have come from again a frozen packet! The only thing that was nice was the cauliflower cheese! I would go as far as saying this is the worst meal I have ever eaten in my nine months of living in Bristol and I would actually say that I am surprised that this was even allowed to leave the kitchen!! The sound of the microwave pinging constantly was a give away as to why our food was dry, burnt and had zero taste!! Worst than the actual lack of quality however is the price that we paid today for such an awful meal and I seriously would suggest that the clifton either lowers it's prices to reflect the lack or freshness or otherwise sits and honestly eats this meal themselves and increase the standard as the roasts are poor !

• Visited February 2014