“AN OLDIE AT YOGA”

Yogawest
Ranked #4 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Bristol
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In our 2 studios we run yoga classes seven days a week, for all levels of ability, including beginners, children, advanced, women's and pregnancy classes. All the teachers at Yogawest are trained in the Iyengar tradition and are certificated by the IYA (UK). This entitles them to use the Iyengar Certification Mark: an indication of high quality training endorsed by BKS Iyengar in Pune, India.HistoryEstablished in 1990The building that is now Yogawest has been at the heart of Iyengar yoga in Bristol since the early '90s. Originally a British Legion club, the BIYC (the Bristol Iyengar Yoga Centre) was set up by Bob and Kathy Welham. A few years later Gerry Chambers and Lynda Purvis took over and set up Yogawest which they ran for over a decade, developing the building over the years into a 2-studio space, hosting classes and workshops at the highest standard.Diana and Mike Penny started the latest chapter in the story of Yogawest on Friday 2nd September. There were a few days of downtime to re-paint and make some layout changes and the doors opened again on 10th September with a well-attended Open Day complete with Yogawest balloons!We intend to continue to provide the very best Iyengar yoga teaching in Bristol, with classes for all abilities. We have a wonderful team of teachers and a warm welcome waiting for you.Meet the Business Owner: Diana P.Diana trained with Ursula Schoonraad in London and qualified as an Introductory teacher in 2007. She is currently studying towards Junior Intermediate Level 1.After several years in London, Diana and her husband Mike have recently bought Yogawest and are very excited about their new life in Bristol and taking over the reins at this famous yoga centre. As well as teaching some classes, Diana will be front of house at Yogawest and is enjoying meeting all the regulars as well as some new faces in the studios.When not at Yogawest, Diana enjoys camping in Pumpkin the campervan, outdoor swimming and sampling the many delights of Bishopston's restaurants.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

“I was seventy four years of age, reasonably fit but very stiff and creaky when I started lessons at Yogawest in December last year. I had done a little yoga over thirty years ago but I was really a complete novice. I have been incredibly impressed by the care and concern shown me by both the teachers I’ve had as they helped me try to achieve the postures, and stopped me doing anything potentially injurious. Already in the last three or four months my posture has significantly improved, and even though the lessons are hard work, I come out feeling re-energised. I still can’t put my feet behind my head, but my joints are loosening up. I recommend Yogawest to any of you other oldies out there."

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I am new to yoga and thought the best introduction would be to join the foundation course. I am so delighted that I did. I am part way through the course and really enjoying it. Frances is great and teaches the poses with care and knowledge. I love the ambience of the place and feel very at home and not at all intimidated.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Excellent yoga school with experienced teachers, friendly and supportive approach and amazing facilities. The studios (and mats) are clean. The studios have ropes and teachers use them in classes! Various levels and types of classes to suit all preferences and needs. Great community. The best place for yoga in Bristol.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I found Yogawest after looking for something to help with my back problems. Rather than a random yoga class in a village hall or sports centre, I found a yoga centred environment where the teachers are highly trained and focused to help you - and accomodate my health problems with different/adapted poses. They teach Iyengar yoga, a branch of yoga that uses aids and supports to achieve the classic poses. Whilst it can be difficult, I have found it to be a very rewarding experience. I always leave feeling like I've had a good work-out, but also calmer and stretched straight again! They supply their own yoga kit for classes so no need to go out and spend lots of money on equipment. You can also buy yoga cards to help with classes.
Well worth a visit.

They are friendly and welcoming and

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The vibe at Yogawest is great - from the free tea at Reception to the showers in the changing rooms to the gorgeous spacious workout rooms. It's a lovely place to walk into, not what you'd expect at the end of a dodgy lane off the Gloucester Road! I attended ante-natal pregnancy yoga classes for several months and found them great. The teacher, Tamara, isn't your usual touchy-feely pregnancy teacher, she actually makes you work - which is exactly what I wanted. She pushes you, in a very safe and controlled way, to be able to achieve positions and stretches you never thought possible when you're pregnant. I always came out standing straighter, feeling full of space, and tired from a good physical work out. Highly recommended, if you want a proper yoga work out while pregnant.