“Stick to the drinks”

Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Had drinks at this place a few times so decided to eat one evening - wish I hadn't. Very disappointing quality of food! I'd be back for a drink but wouldn't recommend eating.

2  Thank Jen B
Tom B, Social Media Manager at The Cuban - Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Hi Jen, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Glad that you enjoy the drinks at the Cuban, sorry to hear that the food wasn't to your liking on this occasion. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Some of the reviews are poor, so we were expecting a poor evening but it was great ! Beautiful exotic looking staff, very warm and friendly , over run though because they are conscientious . Had to ask for drinks etc but the music and entertainment were brilliant , the food ( chilli ) delicious , paella was gorgeous , cocktails ok , wine was good . Go have a great party !

Tom B, Social Media Manager at The Cuban - Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Hi thanks for leaving us a review. We're glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience at The Cuban! Hope to see you again next time you visit Bristol :)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We arrived at approx 5.30 p.m. on a Friday night and it was quiet. The waiter was very friendly. Ordered a tapas to keep us going while waiting for a friend which was OK (friend potatoes and chicken dippers). We also ordered a bottle of wine which took a while to arrive (first wrong wine, then the wine I had ordered was not available and then finally the wind did arrive).

My friend had the meatball tapas which was basically mince rolled up in a ball and was tasteless, the garlic mushrooms tasted as though they had been boiled and no hint of garlic. My daughter had the Mojo Kebabs. The lamb was overcooked, she had also ordered garlic bread which along with a couple of other side dishes we had to ask for as they did not arrive with our main meal, the garlic bread was basically bread with a drizzle of garlic butter with some cheese on top which hadn't melted as the bread was not hot enough. To be fair they did knock this off the bill. I had the belly pork which was very tasty but the side order of roasted vegetables was more boiled than roasted and quite watery and tasteless.

Finally we asked for the bill after waiting quite a while for someone to clear the plates. When presented with the bill we had to follow up with someone to actually pay it.

I'm not sure if they had new staff on or not but there seemed to be no organisation/efficiency. Staff hanging around looking busy but not actually doing anything. I'm sorry, but I don't think we will be going back which is a shame as we love tapas.

1  Thank PennyValentine
Reviewed 21 August 2014

A colleague and I were working in Bristol and decided to visit the Cuban bar as it was just opposite our hotel, it was a Wednesday evening and not particularly busy, we were asked to take a seat at the bar while they prepared our table, after around 35 minutes I asked how long the table would be and we were eventually taken through to the dining area. My colleague is vegetarian and we decided to share nachos to start followed by cheese and vegetables empanadas for her and belly pork for me. After another half hour wait the nachos came covered in beef chilli, so we had to send them back they were replace with another bowl but they were really dry and had no salsa on them they did have an added extra of a piece of broken crockery about half a centimetre long which my unfortunate colleague chewed down on. We informed the waiter and then waited again for the main, she put my meal down in front of me and made a point of saying and this is the vegetarian option as she placed it in front of my colleague who took a bite out of the empanada to find it was mince and chicken. For someone who has not eaten meat for years she was horrified we spoke to the waiter who sent a manager across who apologised and said there would be no charge, we left our food and drinks and left the building as my friend was so upset. It was a chain of basic fundamental errors which should never have occurred we work in Bristol every month it is filled with fantastic restaurants and bars, we will not of course be returning to the Cuban.

1  Thank Carlys_Mum

Hi, thank you for leaving us feedback. We value our vegetarian customers and offer a wide range of veggie dishes on our menu. We apologies unreservedly for your experience on that evening and we are taking steps to ensure that this can never happen again.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Celebrated my 30th with a couple of friends here, we didn't book a table and thought we'd try on the off chance, it was a friday night and very busy....we were told that'd it be fine and got a booth in the bar area...

As a rum drinker I was impressed with the variety of rum available and our cocktails were to die for!!! I had quite a few caipirinha's they were delicious! There was a cuban acoustic duo playing when we first arrived which was brilliant. And then later on the had dancers who got everyone doing salsa...amazing entertainment which I did not expect.

The only reason I rated 4/5 is that there was a major flaw. I'm in the food industry myself, maybe that's why I'm being a little bit critical.

The waiter laid the table up with cutlery but no menu's, service was really hectic as it was peak service when we arrived, I was prepared to give leeway for this. After asking twice it took 45mins for us to see a menu! We finally got our food at 10.30pm by that time I was more interested in the entertainment and my Mauritian vanilla rum!

I feel if our wait was going to be in excess of 2hrs we should of been advised this by our waiter! (My only critisism)

Nevertheless the food was really good! We had a variety of tapas and seafood paella which was loaded with langoustines, squid, mussels and chorizo!

Will be back next time I'm in Bristol :@)

Tom B, Social Media Manager at The Cuban - Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi Jolene thanks for taking the time to leave us a review of your experience. We're glad that you had a good time, Friday nights are always lively! Apologies for the wait to receive the menus, although we were busy this should have been addressed quicker and we have informed the staff of this. Thanks again and see you soon.