“I'm glad somebody else was paying.”

Premier Inn Bristol City Centre (King Street) Hotel
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I've had to stay at a lot of Premier Inns, and this one lived down to my expectations. The staff, as always, were friendly and helpful, and God knows they needed to be to make up for the rest of the experience. I stayed for 3 nights in a room facing the Waterside which was incredibly noisy and a night facing the back end of the Llandoger Trow in a room which was so hot I spent the entire night on top of the bed clothes. The air-conditioning is rubbish. It just moves the warm air around and sounds like a Sherman tank. You'd think they could get that right in a new building. I have never stayed in a Premier by choice, and I never shall.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Bristol City Centre (King Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback very much as this enables us to improve standards and provide guests with the best possible service and a comfortable stay. Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously and on the receipt of your details, the issues raised will be fully investigated. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

I stayed with my son who is confined to a wheelchair. Access was ok, but not brilliant. There were wall bars around the toilet, but that was about it. However, I knew this on booking, and it was ok for a couple of nights.
There was only one double bed in the room, but a truckle bed was provided for me at no extra cost. Because we had a blue badge, we were able to park free of charge for the whole of our stay. Room was lovely and warm, and temperature could be controlled. Air conditioning was great if it got too warm. Although hotel is in a busy area, we did not hear a noise all night.
Reception staff were exceptional,especially Pete who went out of his way to help us.
Would definately stay here again. Hope I can get cheap rate next time. Bath towels were huge and fluffy - loved them.

• Stayed: March 2011
bristolcckingst, General Manager at Premier Inn Bristol City Centre (King Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I allways welcome such feedback as it enables me to see we are delivering the service and quality expectations of Premier Inn. Your comments regarding my team member Pete will be passed on to him and I would like to thank you again for your feedback,

We look forward in welcoming you back to Premier Inn King St in the near future.

Kind Regards

Jason Cousins

Reviewed 10 February 2011

Spent 2 nights at this hotel in February 2011 on a business trip. This hotel was booked for me as I don't know Bristol at all.

Pro's - Excellent room, comfortable bed, overall was clean and modern. Friendly staff, especially at reception and the restaurant staff, excellent breakfast if you get the Premier breakfast. Close to shopping areas.

Con's - Used the close-by NCP car park (2 mins walk) as there is no dedicated hotel car park but this was between 13 and 16 GBP for overnight parking each night which was unexpected (but you can get a discount if you get your parking ticket endorsed at the reception). Hotel is located in a student area so is very noisy at night even well past midnight (even on the Monday & Tuesday nights when I stayed there). If you want a peaceful and quite room at night, ask for an inside room when booking or book elsewhere as I found street noise levels intrusive in a second floor room overlooking the river.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SilVerlig
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The title says it all really. Handy for the shopping, the bars and restaurants around Corn Street, and the Watershed docks area. It's a no brainer at the price really. A good time had by all family members. For those with children recommend @Bristol.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank garryknight
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Staff were all very friendly and helpful, the room was a nice size and had no problems with keeping it at a decent temperature. The food in the restaurant was tasty and very reasonably priced. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Stayed here for two nights and in terms of location, furnishing, etc this Premier Inn met all the hopes I had for it. The bathroom was clean, the bed was comfortable and the decor in good condition.

However..the heat was just something else. For some reason, the corridors of the hotel were at insane temperatures and the rooms were no better. The in-room cooling units had an on/off function which made the room cooler - but not for long. You had to switch it off as the room would get too cool, then wait for the room temperature to heat up again, then switch it on again. It was also too loud (and too efficient at cooling!) to leave on overnight as you would not be able to sleep - which meant that a comfortable night's sleep was never likely to happen as you were too warm.

i don't know how a hotel in the south-west of England happens to be designed in such a way that one could bake bread in the corridor? I'd avoid staying here again, and I'd recommend others do too. I'd suggest that anyone who does stay here and encounters similar problems, use Premier Inn's Good Night Guarantee - which promises to refund your money if you don't get a good nights sleep.

Much as I'd like to, I cannot recommend this hotel for this reason alone.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank colmirl
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Just returned from a stay last night at the Premier Inn in Bristol, and I've never felt more glad to be home. We paid £61 for a family room, and were terribly disappointed with our experience. On checking in (rather long winded, having to give names of every guest in the room, and certainly not a swift process as with Travelodges), we made our way up to our room, and immediately were struck by how dingy and dark the whole place felt. It really felt rather outdated and the profusion of wood everyhwre was really rather oppressive, especially when most of it was so worn and damaged. On exiting the lift on the 3rd floor, the heat in the corridor hit us and when we entered the room we found a similar balmy temperature. Someone had set up a desk fan which was successful in moving the hot air around, and we made a point of opening the window as much as possible in order to gain some relief from the heat. Our one year old daughter started getting distressed and looking pretty hot and bothered and we decided to not hang around in the room too long. It was a cool day outside with rain and so we couldnt understand quite how the room managed to get so hot, and we wondered what on earth it must be like if it was a hot day outside. On looking at the room thermostat it showed a room temperature of 28 degrees! The thermostat although on first impression looked like it might control some kind of air conditioning, didnt actually seem to serve any purpose - the label on it stated it only controlled the amount of hot air coming into the room. The room was dingy, again with a lot of wood fruntitre that needed replacing, a bathroom that lacked the clean bright lines of a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express bathroom, and a carpet that you felt wasnt the cleanest thing to be walking around on in bare feet. I longed for the bright and airy feel of a Travelodge!

After an evening out we came back to the room, still unpleasantly hot and endured a hellish night trying to sleep, while baby tossed and turned in the stuffy room. The fan had to be switched off as it was too noisy to sleep with it on and the noise from the bar outside indicated a party in full swing - our 6 year old frustrated at trying to sleep moaned our room "sounded like Wetherspoons", so we had to shut the window too, although the noise was still disturbing until the very early hours. When we got up at 7.30 the temperature still showed 27.5 degrees and just getting ourselves and the children ready was a hot and tiring afair. We couldnt wait to get out, and after a pleasant breakfast (the only thing that was OK) we left. The receptionist asked if anything was OK and we told her about the hot room. She apologised and said "as long as everything else was OK", totally missing the point. We said actually it wasnt and that the room in general was rather shabby and that numerous Travelodges we have stayed at really put it to shame. Over the past 2 years we've stayed at loads of Travelodges and taken advantage of an obscene anount of £9 rooms, and not once have we had an experience as bad as this one. On checking in a big deal was made of the guarnatee of a good night's sleep, but how this actually works is beyond me. Seems Premier Inn are good at making promises about their standards but useless at actually delivering.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family