“Disappointing”
Review of Vittles

Vittles
Reserve with TopTable
Vittles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #403 of 1,781 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I don't like to criticise hard working restaurants, but the volume of praise for Vittles makes me feel I should provide our experience.

We ordered online (which quotes a default 45 min delivery) at 19:00, the text confirmation stated 90 minutes for delivery. Understand Saturday nights are busy, but we wanted to eat before that so we phoned and asked if we collected if it would be sooner (or if not we could cancel, not a problem), we were assured "It will be delivered by 8". 20:20 rolls around, so we call up, and are told it will be another 10 minutes. We point out the original conversation, no apology, lady didn't seem to think there was a problem with completely failing on a promise.

Unfortunately the food varied between average and poor:
- Onion Bhajis: Good
- Chicken Madras: Hot, but not very flavoured (decent amount of chicken)
- Lamb Rogan Josh: Very poor quality lamb, most if the meat ended up in the bin, poor sauce
- Naan: Poor
- Pilau Rice: Good

Shame, we were looking forward off the back of a recommendation (and there seem to be many positive reviews here), we didn't go in expecting the world given the very reasonable prices, but unfortunately we shall not be ordering from here again.

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Exciting menu and delicious food. Good value and really friendly staff. Can't recommend it enough, it won't disappoint!

2  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 14 April 2018

Celebrated my daughter's birthday with a customized Indian food and Vittles gave a wonderful feel with the taste, ambiance and friendly staff within reasonable price compared to the other Indian restaurants nearby. Thumbs up for the chef and Vittles for bringing "South Indian" taste to Bristol. Highly recommend this place for everyone, who want to try Indian taste.

2  Thank Rajesh G
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We arranged to meet with a group of friends here, as a couple of them, now living overseas, were craving authentically spiced Indian food. Vittles did not disappoint.

Although it’s an English cafe by day, at night it transforms into Indian take-away cum dine-in. It doesn’t have the real appearance of a restaurant but the attentiveness and care of the staff and the quality of the food was what shone through.

There are substantial meal deal options, where you can select a starter, a dosa, a main curry with rice or bread and a sweet, which some of our friends chose. However, my husband and I chose a selection of more interesting starters and snacks, not seen typically in the usually curry restaurants.

The dosas are superb. We tried the podi dosa with gin powder, which would suit if you like a lot of spice/heat. The ghee dosas were appreciated by friends and the masala dosa was delicious.

Recommended starters would be Gobi Manjurian deep fried sweet & sour cauliflower, a chef’s special, and Chicken 65 which is made with a blend of 65 spices. They were beautifully flavoured and plentiful enough to share samples between 6 of us to taste.

Amongst a selection of chaat snacks, we chose the golf apps chaat, 6 tiny wafer cups appeared filled with a beautiful sauce centre.

We’d also recommend the iddly and the poori, which our friend craved. Two perfect puffs of crisp dough arrived and were again to share taste samples.

The other stars for us were the Kathy paratha dishes. We tried the chicken one and thoroughly enjoyed another dish which is rarely seen here in the UK.

With dishes typically priced between £3 and £6 and meal deals and the meal deals priced around £15 vittles offers incredible value. Be aware no alcohol is served on the premises but there are a selection of non alcoholic drinks for a change.

Although it’s not a local venue for us, we’ll definitely go back and maybe try the uthappam Indian pizzas!

4  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 18 March 2018

The cafe is quite local to me so I have visited quite a few times since I have lived in Bristol. It's a really nice café. However having looked on TripAdvisor earlier today I noticed that it had fantastic reviews for its Indian nights and Indian food so I thought I would try some this evening. I can confirm that the food is fantastic, and one of the best Indians that I have had.

5  Thank atm1990