“What's with the beds?”

Ibis Bristol Centre
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Generally, this is a very nice hotel. The rooms are compact yet well laid out and equipped. The bathroom, although small, has an excellent shower.

The staff were well mannered and friendly. The service was efficient.

For a night or two in central Bristol this hotel offers a fantastic location right in the heart of the bustling city center.

The one let-down was, strangely for a hotel, the bed! The bed appears to have been 'designed' to be a part of the decor, rather than something that offers the weary traveler a good nights rest. The construction consists of an immovable chip board base topped with what can only be described as an unyeilding giant cot mattress.

This is a shame because had the bed been more comfortable this review would have been a "Very Good" or even "Excellent" but I imagine if enough people are prepared to complain about the beds they may change them for something more "normal".

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Mikhail M, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we have taken note of your comments. I am sure you will be glad to know that although beds in Ibis are supplied centrally and standardised throughout the chain in the UK, we are currently in the process of complete change over of our beds, bringing them to the highest comfort level in the industry.

There are newer reviews for Ibis Bristol Centre

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at the Ibis for one night and were pleasantly surprised. The staff were all very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. It was quite small but had extremely good use of space, so that everything was neat and tidy. The pod bathroom was bright and clean with a big walk-in shower. The breakfast buffet was good value, with a good range of hot and cold food.

We parked in the nearby car park and had a discounted rate for staying at the hotel.

The location of the Ibis is very good, right by Millenium Square and a twenty minute walk to the SS Great Britain, or take the short ferry trip across the Floating Harbour for 70p.

All in all, a very good value hotel and one we would stay at again or recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we are glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Bristol Centre.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I chose the hotel primarily due to its location near the council house. It is a standard Ibis with basic but clean and tidy rooms. Still not sure whether I like the "pod" bathrooms, but it is all you need for a night or two.
Breakfast was a basic buffet which was fine but not really worth £7.50. The hotel seemed very busy when i stayed, which caused queues at breakfast and a lack of tables.
Staff were very friendly and efficient.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ibis Bristol Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

The hotel was clean and tidy and the staff were very accomodating. Our room was quite small for 2 people but it was good enough for a 1 night stay. The bathroom was nice and modern with a large walk in shower. The beds were comfortable although we did find that the room got very hot during the night. The location is great, right in the heart of the city and a good choice of restaurants and bars are all within walking distance. Although there is a lot of nightlife around the hotel and it did get quite noisy outside, we didn't find this affected our sleep at all.

The restaurant staff were all very friendly, the food was served quickly and I felt that it was quite reasonably priced.

The hotel is quite basic and the rooms are on the smallish side so I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay, but it has all the amenitities you would need for a few nights away.

Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Jacquelyne S
Mikhail M, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Excellent location and facilities for a so called budget hotel. Our room was on the first floor and had a great view accross the Millenium Square. Parking is discounted if you submit your ticket at reception for verification. £13 for 24 hours. Breakfast was £7.50 per head.

Room Tip: looking over the square
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate your feedback and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Bristol Centre.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Ibis Central in Bristol for a wedding. It really was great value and a great location. There was parking nearby for anyone with a car or the Airport Flyer bus stops just around the corner. If you're looking for something clean, reasonably priced and with good amenities then this is ideal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here for the first time recently as my company removed the hotel I normally stay at from our approved list (my employer is now modern day scrooge).
Upon arrival I parked at Millennium Square just opposite and underground as the hotel offers a discounted rate (£12.50 a day) by having the ticket stamped at the Ibis reception.
Check in was swift and the hotel features were explained to me clearly. The receptionist seemed to genuinely want to please.
Checking into my room there was a slight wiff of sewage but not as bad as some other hotels I have stayed at. Still not pleasant though!
The room was an odd triangular shape which I simply didn't like. It made things awkward such as storing luggage and the TV location.
I then wandered down to the restaurant for dinner. Service was again swift and friendly, the food was also piping hot which is always really nice.
The starter was excellent - the main course burger tasted cheap though. The bun was very hard to cut through as well. But, that said, including a drink the total was only £17 so as they say, you get what you pay for.
Having retired to the bedroom, the worst aspect of this room was the noisy bed. And I mean very noisy. Every time I moved it groaned and moaned..made sleep unpleasant.

So, overall, mixed feelings. The Ibis brand itself lived up to expectations, other than the noisy bed and sewage smell, but I would stay here again as the price £67 inc breakfast, is very competitive.

The staff were friendly and speedy and I do like to recognise this..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Mikhail M, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We have noted your comments about restaurant and bed and will look in to them. In the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel for a genuine hassle-free stay.