“Great Value, Great Location”

Ibis Bristol Centre
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
manchester
“Great Value, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

In my years of travelling Ibis are about as reliable a hotel group you can get. You know what you're going to get - clean, usually well-located, good value hotels. And this Ibis was no exception with one of the more modern fit outs (flat screen telly et al) and funky pod bathroom with a cracking shower.

I am always intrigued by the two stars/flowers in the Ibis logo - surely this is a three star chain? Well it should be as they are most agreeable - from Brussels to Berlin, Bristol to Bottingham (yeah, I meant Nottingham).

This one is pretty funky and well run. Nice restaurant area and in a great location between College Green (with all the studey bars) and the docks (more bars folks).

There is building work on one side of the building but it seems well managed (i.e. no early starts) and didn't bother me.

The breakfast is cheap and not up to Premier Inn standards (no cooked stuff) but adequate and plentiful. Better off spending the fiver in a local greasy spoon though!

• Liked — Pretty fresh and funky in a great location
  • Disliked — Staff clearing my breakfast when I got up to get some juice!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

Just to be fair, the staff at the Ibis were very nice. They couldn't make up for all the issues with the hotel.

1. Two pillows for the two of us, very flat and sad.

2. The air conditioning didn't work, which would have been just annoying, except that there was a building site outside so the noise was dreadful when we opened the window.

3. Cleaning staff don't have a service lift so they have to go up in the guest lift, which isn't really big enough.

4. Just a duvet on the bed so if you are too hot or too cold, live with it. We solved this problem by taking the duvet out of its cover and using the cover as a sheet and the duvet as a pillow.

5. The net curtain fell off our window, very Faulty Towers.

6. I know it's reasonably cheap but the design of the shower room could not have been more cheap and plastic.

7. Little holes in our curtain, moths perhaps!??!

8. There was supposed to be a hairdryer, there wasn't.

I definitely wouldn't stay again...

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katey1010
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

Our experience on arrival was terrible! However, this girl may have been a trainee, but I still feel at a loss to justify her many mistakes.

Firstly, when we arrived she needed to pre-auth a card to ensure we didn't run off without paying. However, I didn't have any PIN numbers to my Cards as i no longer live in the UK. Therefore, i had to go through all my credit cards one by one looking for a card. My wife eventually tried her foreign cards and one was excepted without PIN, luckily for us, so I initially thought.

After the checkin process she pointed to the left to direct us to the lifts, where we went with our heavy bags, only to find the lifts were on the right!

Got to our designated room, opened the door and to our shock, there was already luggage in there. Someone was still using this room! I called down to reception and we were told to come down again. Once again we carried our heavy bags downstairs to reception and tried to resolve the issue. The girl then allocated us to another room and told us the problem was now resolved.
My wife had to strangely explain to HER that the key was still allocated to the wrong room though...! Once she grasped this, she changed it promptly. No apology. (I felt for the users of the other room who had no idea what had just happened..or could have happened!)

We went back to our room, opened the door and what a stink!!! It smelt of old smoke so badly. My wife was so annoyed and even more annoyed when she realised they didn't have enough towels. The towel thing didn't bother me (as it seemed enough to me), but the smell was bad. I called for another towel and was told to come back down again to get it!!!

I came down but this time asked to speak to the manager and complained about the whole situation. He was apologetic enough and offered me a drink. I left it at that but declined the drink.

On the whole the room was OK, although no view and if you did open the window there was a sort of aircon machine which made a lot of noise during use, but i'm sure not all rooms were like this. The showeroom was OK, clean and modern, no tiles for easy cleaning and hence no mould. However, when next door used their shower, what a racket! luckily we only experienced this once.

A couple of my friends came to have lunch here and ordered a cesar salad (which they order everywhere they go ) and they said it was excellent. Another couple that we stayed with though said breakfast didn't look too good so we went to eat at the Marriott hotel for £16! Again, i didn't see the food at the IBIS, but for only £5 I would have taken it regardless. There are also lot's of cafes in bristol and even a crepe van opposite so why not try something else?

Wi-fi was £10 a day as someone else mentioned, but this also includes the Film and TV package. Else, they have some computers you can use in hotel for a smaller charge (I hope!)

ALL the other staff at this hotel though were extremely friendly and polite and it's unfair was for one persons action to reflect on everyone else.

On checking out I was told by another member of staff we didn't even need the PIN number which meant we budgeted and borrowed money pointlessly!

Reception called a cab to take us to the airport, it was possibly the worst cab driver ever. I can't understand why they use this firm. No seatbelt, jumping red lights, talking on the mobile phone, speeding, etc. and for £25.

• Liked — tough one, probably the location was next door to the wedding venue
  • Disliked — girl at reception, stinky room, noise.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJ FearRoss
wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

When we went to bed we discovered that our bedding was quite extensively stained with what appeared to be blood. On asking for this to be rectified we were informed that only bar staff and security staff were employed at night. The security guard eventually agreed to get us new bedding and subsequently brought a sheet and duvet down to reception and informed us that we would have to change it ourselves. A single duvet was mistakenly provided and the security guard went to change it but never returned (we later learned that he was also employed as a security guard at the local casino and had been called away). When we asked to speak to a manager we were informed that managers only worked during the daytime. We finally had a duvet dumped outside our door.

Considering that a prominent card displayed in the room stated that “if we cannot solve a problem within 15 minutes you will be our guest” we were surprised to be offered only a 50% reduction in the price of our room when we checked out, but by this stage were just grateful to be able to leave and put the experience behind us. (This offer is still on the website).

Ibis do not have any obvious contact details on their website - I complained to a generic Ibis e-mail address (replying to a marketing e-mail from Ibis) but received no response.

The issue was the fact that there are no overnight staff to resolve problems, and the poor response to a genuine complaint which took hours to resolve. The manager did apologise to us the next morning,

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank anonymouswales
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

We stayed at the IBIS for a long weekend.

Quite easy to find.
The parking is in a nearby underground car park (which costs extra).
Staff were good overall.
Rooms were basic but clean and modern.
The location is very good - right on the waterfront.
Lots of pubs, clubs, shops and tourist attractions within walking distance.
Didn't try the breakfast as there is lots of choice on the doorstep.
The bar was OK if not a little pricey.

Only complaint is the noise from the building work but the double glazed windows kept most of it out.

Tea and coffee was provided in the room. Nice touch.
Would have been nice to have some biscuits too.....

We had a bar of soap on the first night which disappeared the next day.

For the price - you can't go wrong.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moonstomper
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

This is a fairly new hotel in a good location at Millenium Square near to the harbour and at a reasonable price. There are some good restaurants in the immediate vicinity as well as a few attractions such as @Bristol.

It's a 10 minute walk to the main shopping area at Broadmead but there are local shops around Bristol Cathedral which is just a couple of minutes away.

I booked in on a Monday evening around 5.00pm. Many others wanted to do the same and although the checking in service was polite and professional there appeared to be no attempt to speed things up so those at the back of the queue were probably waiting about 20 minutes.

The room itself was a good size with air conditioning. The bathroom was like some sort of space capsule but it was incredibly well designed (for comfort and easy cleaning) and the double-doored shower was excellent.

The hotel boasts an internet connection but at about 10 pounds a day I thought it was far too expensive. Parking is also a problem as the hotel itself has no car park. Instead you have to use the public car park nearby which cost another 10 pounds a day (after the 'generous' 2 pound discount if you get your ticket validated by the hotel).

All in all a good hotel with just a couple of niggles.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Extra charges for parking
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank R1chard
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2007

I often stay in budget type hotels for work trips, so know not to expect luxury, but if this hotel represents Ibis standards, I won't be using the chain ever again.

Firstly the positive points - it is well located for the city centre and for bars and restaurants. The bathroom was very clean and the shower had great water pressure.

The problem was everything else. The staff were slow and seemed disinterested in assisting customers if they could possibly avoid it. The room was small, smelled funny and jut felt old and musty. The bed was unbelievably bad - a board supported on a chipboard plinth with the thinnest mattress I've ever encountered. There was no hairdryer in the room, although I was able to collect one from reception.

Overall I couldn't wait to leave. In my experience, the Premier Inn chain is far better quality for a similar price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business