“Clean & comfortable”

Ibis Bristol Centre
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Bristol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Bristol. Although it may not be as good as some of the flashier hotels, for the price, surely nobody could complain. We certainly aren't.
Not having visited Bristol for quite a long time, we were not exactly sure where the hotel was located. I had printed out the location map beforehand, but found that as the local streets do not have any signs, we were a little confused. After a phone call to the hotel, with directions from a friendly staff member, we realised that we were literally just around the corner.
All we were after was a good, cheap hotel for one night. The Ibis certainly did us for the night. Bristol's main shopping area was within a easy stroll, which meant we did not have to pay any more extravagant parking charges.
With the restaurant and bar being renovated, we looked elsewhere for our evening meal and breakfast. That was no problem, as the harbourside area has so many cafes to choose from. We found that the noise from the renovations did not disturb us, but as often in hotels, noisy guests outside kept us awake at times. Some people have no consideration for others.
One of the two mugs in the room was cracked, so I phoned the reception for a replacement. This took some time, but eventually the receptionist hinself brought us a new mug. We thought the checkout time of midday was good. This allowed us to do just that little bit more shopping in Broadmead. The other side of the coin was that we were unable to check in before midday. As the receptionist held our bags for us, that was no problem.
One thing we did think could be improved was the information in the room.The A3 sized folding card in the room had very little information written on it. We both found the free wifi good, even if a little slow. We had expected to have to pay for wifi, as with most Australian Accor hotels. We also found the round shape bathroom to be different.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria P, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Ianb111, Thank you for your kind comments about your stay with us at the Ibis Bristol center. we at the Ibis Bristol Centre strive to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and I am pleased that on this occasion that you were happy with your stay. We are constantly looking for ways to imporve and better the facilities and services that we provide and your feedback has been noted. The team and I look forward to greeting you again upon your stay with us in the future
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

On arriving at this hotel, we discovered that it was being renovated. No mention had been made of this when we booked or before arrival, but it wasn't too big a deal.

When we went into our room, my roommate noticed that we had only been provided with 2 towels. This is standard for an Ibis - I had stayed in one in Vienna a few days before - and didn't concern us too much. We could just ask for extra towels, right? That's what we did in the aforementioned Vienna Ibis, and the desk staff were happy to help. No problem.

We were in town to see a band play, and in the flurry of activity to get ready totally forgot to ask for additional towels before we left. We came home around midnight and asked the night staff on duty if we could have two more per room.

(For clarification, we were six girls sharing three rooms.)

He was stroppy as hell about it. He asked how many we had, and we said two - one towel each is not enough for any guest, let alone a female one. He sighed a bit and went off to find more. He failed at first and asked us to sit while he looked. It took him three separate trips around the hotel to locate where clean towels were stored, and eventually came back some time later and dumped them on the desk. We thanked him (with one of our group saying, "You're a star!") and that's when it got weird.

"How many towels do you expect to have?" he asked.

A bit taken aback, I replied, "Well, more than one each. As many as you would have in any other hotel."

He made a sour face, and I asked, "You do stay with other hotels, right?" I mean, what hotel gets stroppy over something like that? None in my experience.

He then started telling me I was extremely rude and demanding, with my friends watching on open-mouthed. I replied that actually, I was the guest, and it was his job to make us feel welcome and comfortable. We weren't asking for a champagne breakfast - we wanted TOWELS.

He told me again that I was extremely rude, and then he walked away and locked himself in the back office. My friends and I just stared at each other for a few seconds wondering what exactly just happened.

But hey, we had our towels. Everything was fine, right?

Oh. No. Because we were woken up by drilling from the floors below before 11am. I understand that the hotel was being renovated and work had to be done. But before midday it should be assumed that guests are still sleeping - they have no requirement to be awake and out of the room by that time. In our case, we had been travelling a lot, were booked in for two nights, and this was our only day to sleep late all week. So that was a delightfully unwarrented wake up call.

My final problem came on check-out day. We had an early train to catch and were downstairs around 9.30am. I went to check out, and the desk staff took my key, shrugged at me and told me that actually, he had already checked me out. Call me old fashioned, but if I have paid for a room I don't expect the staff to decide I have left before check-out time until I tell them that's what I'm doing. He didn't even crack a smile - just took my keys, told me I'd already been checked out by him, and carried on with his work.

This was the single rudest hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay with. When I complained to Accor, they told me that since I'd booked it through one of Expedia's companies, i should go to them with my issue. I pointed out that there was no issue with the booking, only the staff, and they eventually told me that the manager of this hotel was going to 'look into it' and get in touch.

I'm still waiting. How shockingly unexpected.

Room Tip: Don't stay here until building works have been completed! The drilling carries through the whole...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Professional_Fan, I am sorry to find that your stay with us was marred by certain aspects. I have sent you a private message and would very much like you to reply as soon as possible so we can formally discuss these matters.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Excellent hotel with first class, friendly staff. In midst of refurb which has now over run! No bar facilities and breakfast in a building site. It will be good when it's finished but below par during stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Paul_Mastersri, Thank you for taking the time to provide comments about your stay. I am pleased to find the positive feedback about the team and how they handled your stay in the midst of our renovations of the ground floor public area. I will be sure to pass they comments on to them. I can confirm that our renovations have come to an end and that were are operating a business as usual. The bar is back in business and we are running our evening restaurant as normal again. I do hope that you grant us the opportunity to show our new services upon your next stay with us at the Ibis Bristol centre.