“This hotel's friendly staff made me feel very welcome.”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Berkshire
“This hotel's friendly staff made me feel very welcome.”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

This is a large modern hotel in a great location. My room was spacious, very clean and had superior furniture and fittings. The breakfast was excellent, everything you could want including lovely lean bacon and fresh fruit juice. I really enjoyed the 3 course evening meal in the restaurant, there was great choice and everything was beautifully cooked and presented. As I was travelling alone the highlight for me was the staff on reception and in the restaurant. They weren’t just doing a job they were genuinely friendly and helpful. Very well done, I could not even think of one thing not to like!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Rmdivmanager, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and will certainly pass your comments on to the team. I really hope that we will see you again in the future! Kind regards Yvonne Colgan, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Wanted a weekend break away and found this through Late Rooms mystery hotel. Great location right in the heart of things and near the Floating Harbour. Easy to visit the SS Great Britain and enjoy the riverside and city. Its the largest hotel I have ever stayed at - enormous.
Rooms very clean and big - upgraded at a cost of £15 per night. Rooms on the front have some road noise though not that obtrusive.
Leisure facilities are clean and the gym looks brand new - I discovered why. If you are over 6 feet tall you cannot use the cross trainers, steppers of treadmills as the ceiling is too low! Pool fine and lots of clean free towels. Do not book this hotel for its leisure facilities though.
Never used the restaurant and opted for the pub next door with a good veggie breakfast for £3.00. Piping hot and lovely people there. Recommended if it the outside is a bit shabby.
Overall the hotel did seem expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Stck to a regular room and eat out for breakfast
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your considered review and I'm really pleased that generally your stay was positive. We hope to welcome you back again in the future. Kind regards Yvonne Colgan, General Manager
surrey
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This hotel's security is really not very good. Anyone can just walk past hotel staff into the room area.
Someone broke into our room, we were asleep at the time ! He got away with good and only woke us when he was leaving the room as he got stuck on the door on the way out. The area is very busy and is a target for thieves. We were warned of this while there by locals. I have paper evidence of the robbery. It was also caught on CCTV which the staff do not seem to watch from behind the reception desk

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jenburton
Rmdivmanager, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank you so much for your considered review. As you know, our security at the hotel was responsible for the conviction of the offender and therefore proved to be very robust. Unfortunately your door was left open therefore our stringent security systems cannot be effective in this situation. We have had no other similar incidents since opening and I hope that this continues. I remain at your disposal, as I have been for the past year since the incident. Kind regards Nicholas Bees, Rooms Division Manager.
wells next the sea
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We came to Bristol for a family reunion. We chose this hotel because it has a 14 metre swimming pool & my husband is in training for a tri-athlon. The fact that there is a pool and spa hardly gets a mention in the online publicity and on the Mercure website - I had to google 'pool' and 'Bristol hotel' in order to find out. Although the hotel is rather utilitarian and mass tourism in feel, we actually did sleep better there than in most hotels! - thanks to an air-vent in the outside wall which allowed fresh air to come into the room and prevented that airless & claustrophobic feeling one gets in hotels where one cannot open the window. slim and 1 I noticed the 1 reviewer complained about the pillows - we found 1 fatter feather pillow each and they were comfortable as was the bed - not too soft, not too hard! This hotel is situated between a busy main road and its own car park (chargable at 2.50 per hr/£10 for 24hrs) - & our rooms faced the car park. A rather grim view was only relieved by glimpses of Georgian architecture and a tree in full bloom over its boundary wall, but for it was QUIET! The hotel does however have an inner courtyard with a large tree; a portion of hotel guests (the lucky ones) would get a room facing that - worth asking about when making a booking. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room were appreciated but would benefit from the addition of a choice of herbal teas. We did not sample the hotel breakfast. We had espressos from the Bar - poor quality (which alas, is not unusal), The room was rather cool. Overall, we were comfortable and slept surprising well.

Room Tip: ask for a room looking into the inner courtyard
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Rmdivmanager, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Thank you for your comments about the hotel. I'm glad to see that the majority of your stay exceeded your expectations. We are currently testing a new espresso machine and are constantly monitoring this so you will hopefully see an improvement on your next visit. In the meantime many thanks again, and kind regards Yvonne Colgan, General Manager
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Whenever I need to be in Bristol for business, I stay at this hotel. Every room I have stayed in has been extremely spacious and attractively decorated. I don't know what that other reviewer was talking about (he must work for the opposition I reckon) as the pillows were so comfortable, fluffed up feather pillows. The linen and towels were white , clean and fresh.
The food is excellent and beautifully presented, both in the restaurant and also room service.
Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice, something for everyone. My only complaint there was that, one morning there were 4 members of staff clearing tables and no one offered me any tea or toast even though I sat and waited for a while, I eventually sought someone out, who apologised and immediately brought me my tea.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately, this time I did have a complaint about the room I stayed in (room 128) it had a bad smell throughout the week. There was a stain on the carpet which I suspect may have something to do with it. I could have complained and would have been moved to another room, but I didn't bother as everything else was perfect. I have since informed housekeeping who I am sure will put this right for the next occupant.
I will certainly stay there again the next time I go to Bristol. I might just avoid room 128 though!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your considered review of the hotel, and the great pictures. We really appreciate it! Just to keep you up-to-date, we're in the middle of replacing some of our carpets as, although regularly deep cleaned/washed, some stains are permanent. In the meantime I hope that you continue to return to the hotel, and please feel free to contact me directly on your next stay so that I can say "thank you" in person. Kind regards Yvonne Colgan, General Manager