“Very disappointing!”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 25 June 2013

After a weekend spent in a youth hostel in the rain in Wales, craving comfort and a swim in a pool, I booked a Prestige room at this hotel. With the promise of robes, a Nespresso machine, free internet, a free newspaper and soft drinks, we were looking forward to being pampered. Upon checking in at 5pm, we were told that the pool was closed until 7pm for lessons. The unfriendly Receptionist tried to up-sell us on every aspect of our stay +20£ for a room upgrade? “But I thought we had the best room?” “ No! There are better views in bigger rooms available that we don't advertise on websites”; “Broadband at £10 per day?” I thought we had free internet in our room? “Oh it’s only good for emails!” came the reply! I eventually negotiated free broadband codes in exchange for the closed pool. Our room, opposite the cathedral's tolling bells lacked all the extras promised, this was, however, quickly remedied by the staff. The shower was weak and very difficult to get the right temperature. We ate nearby and went for a cold swim in a dirty pool (the floodlights served only to highlight the floating bits in it), the changing rooms were dirty with overflowing bins (I had warned the reception about this earlier and nothing had changed). The car park is 12£ per night, internet is extra, the bar is expensive .... I gave exactly this feedback to reception on checking out, they apologised but made no effort to compensate us - they could have charged us for a standard double instead? Why ask how our stay was if they aren't prepared to do anything about it? This wasn’t the chilled, pampered stay we were expecting, I don't think we'll be returning!

Room Tip: Try to get a room to the back of the hotel on a Sunday, the Cathedral bells toll for a long time!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Thank you for telling us of your recent stay here at Mercure Bristol Holland House and Spa Hotel, though I am very shocked that your experience was such the disappointment that you described and I offer my sincerest apologies.
I would very much like to discuss this further with you therefore may I kindly ask that you email me on h6698-dm@accor.com.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 24 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed for just 1 night with work and was not overally impressed.

The location is quite a walk from Bristol centre and overlooks a busy dual carriageway. Unfortunately I was allocated a room on the ground floor overlooking the road so noise from traffic and passing pedestrians was quite high. It also did not feel private and I had to keep curtains closed.

Room service was fairly efficient but usual overpriced dry curly sandwiches.

Breakfast was in a large restaurant which was buffet service. Food was ok but it all seemed very busy and chaotic.

Overall, not too bad

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank perfectionists

I am sorry that you were not overally satisfied with your stay, for next time we would most certainly place you in a quiet part of the hotel. Thank you for your feedback.
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel as a group of friends the night before going on holiday. Great service and very very clean. Little disappointed at the size of the room but this is only because I had stayed in the Cardiff Hotel previously. Breakfast was fantastic and highly recommended, well worth the money. Drinks in the bar are very expensive however this was to be expected with all hotels really. Would go back again but not if I was travelling to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments - our Cardiff hotel does have some large rooms but we do too! Please do not hesitate to upgrade should you hopefully stay with us again!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The size of the room with plenty of windows was the outstanding feature for me. I was in the front of the hotel which though overlooking a busy road was nice and quiet. The room was very comfortable with all that you could want. Staff on check in were great; I was also using the conference facilities and I found the staff on that side of things to be really helpful and attentive as well, nothing was too much trouble. The food in the restaurant was excellent, very tasty, nicely presented and the service was prompt. The proximity to Temple Meads station is a real bonus, being just five to ten minutes walk away.

There are great pubs close to this hotel, just down the road is the Portwall Tavern which is small but comfortable and on Temple Street is the Cornubia a real ale lovers paradise, lively and friendly, one of my favourite pubs anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I'm glad to see we are perfectly located close to one of your favourite pubs! Please use that as an excuse to visit us again! Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed at the Mercure for 1 night on a Spa Reviver package. For this, we got a treatment each (25mins), dinner, breakfast and an over night stay. Was good value and I was pleased with the hotel during my stay.

We were allowed to check in early as a room was available (which was great) but the room faced the Air conditioning machinery. A quick call to reception and we were told we could swap to a room on the other side of the corridor - we now faced the car park but was quieter then the previous room and received more sunlight.

Treatment at the Spa was good, this is separate to the hotel/pool - its a building at the rear of the hotel. We thought we would spend the rest of the day at the pool and sauna, jacuzzi, steam room area BUT we found that there is no sauna, steamroom or jacuzzi. Just a pool which was pretty busy.

The food at the hotel was good - both dinner and breakfast.

All staff encountered on this stay were very accommodating, helpful, polite, happy and gave very good customer service. I couldn't fault them - even the poor young guy working Saturday night gave us good directions and recommended bars to visit.

The only other negative about the Mercure really was the amount of Hen Parties and Stag do's. Seemed to be loads, but the only inconvenience we experienced was waiting to get stuck in at breakfast as the queue for the buffet was long.

Oh, and also the hotel kept pushing for me to spend an extra £20 to upgrade. I didn't bother and I don't think it would have been necessary as the standard room was an excellent size.

All in all, a nice stay. Bristol town centre was just a short walk away. Would definitely think about staying here again if I returned to Bristol

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with Mercure and I am delighted that you would consider us for a future visit!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed at The Mecure Holland Bristol for just one night but would most definitely return should we visit Bristol again. This was a stop over on our way to Cornwall but wished we could have stayed longer. The reception staff were very professional and courteous. We were offered an upgrade and took this - hey why not!! Used the pool next morning followed by a good breakfast - plenty of choice. Again the staff were polite and helpful. The hotel was positioned well and our room overlooked the river. The room was very comfortable and clean. The only down side was the weather - totally out of anyone's control, but that's England for you.

Room Tip: Take up the offer of an upgrade - worth that little extra
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We look forward to welcoming you back! And yes, unfortunately we have not had the best weather for this time of year - still waiting for summer!