“Nice hotel but very poor customer service”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Lovely hotel and nice big bedrooms. Fridge didn't work, this was a common complaint from a number of other guests regarding their fridges in their rooms. Stayed Fri for 2 nights, left Sunday morning, last afetrnoon I realsied I left an expensive item of clothing in the hotel and imemdiately phoned them, gave room number, described the clothing and the location I left it in the bedroom, got told they couldnt do anything at that point abut would pass it onto hosuekeeping and they would phone me Monday, gave mobile number. Monday heard nothing - made another call and got an apology and told somebody would call me, Tuesday - nothing. Wednesday I phoned again and gived another apology but spoke to hosuekeeping who told me nothing was left in the room but would double check the room and phone me back on Thursday, guess what? Thats right, heard nothing! This could have been sorted out on Sunday when I realised I left the item and they could have checked then but got fobbed off and given broken promises. Need to work on their customer services otehrwise they will lose customers, I certainly wont be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

i can understand your frustration given what you have experienced and absoluteyl agree that you should have received a phone calla s promised on the Monday. Please may I express my apololgies for the inconvenieces that you experienced during and after your stay. I ahve shared your comments with the Housekeeping Manager who is currently investigating why it took so long to get the final result. I can appreciate that this may have dettered you from visiting us again but we would be delighted if one day we would have the opportunity to welcome you back for a genuine hassle free stay.
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,775)

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. We have now stayed here twice for a chilled weekend away. From the moment you walk into the hotel you are greeted by friendly smiling helpful staff and this continues . Our room was great, dinner was superb the food well presented and the service was excellent. In fact all staff have a friendly word from the managers to the chambermaids and night staff without exception. Breakfast was also top quality. Super pool and spa. This is a hidden gem and we will be back. Thank you. My advice do try it you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Elizabeth C
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Wow thank you for a brilliant review! A huge flattery indeed and I shall certainly share this with all stafF as it is great encouragment.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed here for one night in July 2013. The room was large, clean and had air-con. The hotel's facilities were very good for the price of the room (£80), although we didn't have time to use the spa/pool.
The only negatives were the fire alarm going off at about 7am on a Sunday (false alarm luckily!) and the price of breakfast.
On the whole I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

That's great that you enjoyed your stay though it was unfortunate about the fire alarm at 7 o'clock in the morning and as you say, luckily it did not amount to anything serious!
Thank you for recommending us!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

After a long train journey it was great to be greeted with a free refreshing drink on arrival. The reception staff were very helpful and polite. This is my 4th or 5th stay here at the Bristol Holland and now ask for this hotel each time I visiting Bristol. I was only staying for one night this time so decided to eat out in bristol as it was a very warm evening and worth a walk into town. I was caught on the op when a colleague and i had a nightcap in the bar. I ordered a double brandy for my colleague and his drink was quoted at £11. What! I took out a mortgage to pay.

I had a room on the first floor which was very comfortable and I slept very well in this quiet area overlooking the car park at the back. Breakfast was a little chaotic as I had to ask for breakfast bowls as folk were taking the fruit bowls for their cereal. I do hate a toaster that hardly turns the bread any colour... and this was one of them. I think someone should check the toaster before letting us residents get disappointed with soft bread. Lol. I attempted beans on toast, I mean bread with Luke warm beans, which put me off breakfast for the first time, but hey ho, I had some bacon, egg and beans instead. I will ask our booking staff to book me here again as I always enjoy the stay and feel comfortable here.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for our feedback; what you mentioned is extremely useful towards improving the services that we offer and I shall certainly share your comments with the relevant departments of the hotel. I am glad that overall you enjoy staying with us and am delighted to read that you will be returning!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have stayed here on many occasions for various reasons from a quiet night away to weddings etc. The rooms are always very clean and tidy, the staff friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant is amazing! nothing is too much trouble for them and its in a good central location but not noisy! Would very highly recommend!

Room Tip: The rooms are all fantastic!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review! I am delighted that you have stayed with us so often and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night while down in Bristol for a family party. The reception staff at the hotel were efficient and polite on our arrival. On going up to our room we were pleased that their was aircon as it was the hottest weekend of the year so far. However on our return to the room later in the evening the aircon was clearly on a losing battle with the heat and the windows are not able to open so it was very stuffy. The room and bathroom themselves were fine and we have no real complaint there.
Breakfast next morning was a different story. It appeared very chaotic and not very well organised. While self service is fine for food to have to go and get coffee and tea from urns back at the front of the room was was not easy. One urn of each for probably 150 people and having to fight past tables and people just for a top up was ridiculous. We appreciate we probably went down to breakfast and the busiest time but hotels have to be able to cope with this surely. The fruit salad was good but the cooked breakfast was below the standard expected and inferior produce we felt. The fried eggs were overcooked and the sausages looked anaemic. There is a bread station where you can cut your own but the bread I had looked doughy and underdone. I ate pretty well no breakfast and my husband not much more.
We did complain to reception when we left and they did ask if there was anything they could do to put it right but we really just wanted to leave by then.
We had free parking which was good for the city centre.
Not a hotel we shall be returning to.

1  Thank Melanie F
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

I am most disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay and even more that you feel you cannot return. Please can I assure you that is certainly not our usual level of service, and we are taking your comments very seriously and are currently investigating the problems you encountered.
If you could possibly email me on h6698-dm@accor.com I would be very happy to dicuss this further and arrange something for you.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for business purposes, Food And Staff were first class. Never got the chance to use the Spa though. Good Location for all amenities, shops not too far away and a whole host of Restuants and Bars in easy walking distance along the river. Would definately recommend this hotel - Excellent !!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you very much for recommending us!! That was First Class review!! Thank you!