“Still a hidden gem in Bristol” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Still a hidden gem in Bristol”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We have just returned from our third stay at this hotel and we are planning out next stay there already. The staff in the hotel are all so friendly helpful and well presented. The rooms are great warn with very comfortable beds and quiet and peaceful. The pool is an added bonus and warm and inviting. We really enjoyed our three course dinner and my eggs Benedict for breakfast were beautifully cooked. I recommend the whole thing and if you ever did have any small problems Zowie will be there to solve it - she doesn't seem to stop and works very hard and always seems to be on duty and with a smile

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you once again for your lovely feedback (I may go a little pink from your kind words as it is always a delight to ensure guests are as comfortable as possible during their stay!)
We look forward to welcoming you again in the New Year!
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, Somerset.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Yes, the staff are friendly & the food was good quality, hot & unlimited.
But: unless you're really lucky you can't park in the car park, they automatically added £15:00 to my room charge stating "that's for you to spend in the bar later" which I took to be majorly presumptuous & the room had most definitely not been vacuumed as the previous visitor obviously wasn't keen on their complimentary flapjack & had spread it around the room / stuffed it down the back of the chair etc.

We stayed for a colleagues birthday celebrations & the evening was very good. Plus, we were off & out early the following day so the state of the room wasn't worth complaining about as the bed & bathroom were satisfactorily clean. But the aforementioned food deposits just proved that the cleaning staff only concentrated on the obvious areas (apart from the floor!) & certainly hadn't taken any care or pride in their work.

We paid a complementary rate due to the function & it was reasonable plus included the car parking fee; by pure chance, I found the last remaining place: nobody else in our party did so had to use on-street. We didn't use the pool, spa etc so can't comment.

So yes, a nice place, a reasonable location in relation to the city centre & good food.
I would stay again but please, have a word with your cleaners & certainly do NOT assume that I will be using your bar by adding a charge to my credit card as I book in!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the pre authorisation that was made on your card when you checked in- by all means, the amount that we hold is not to assume that you will go to the bar, or to even encourage you to do so. It is simply an estimate of the final total that may be on your bill at the end of the stay. I apologise if this caused you offence but we certainly did not intend to as it is a standard policy.
I do offer my sincerest apologies for the cleanliness of the room and I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping contractor as what you found was certainly unacceptable. I would like to confirm that the appropriate action has been taken.
Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I got a fantastic deal on my room and was very pleased. Big room and bathroom. Very clean. Nice bright communal areas and a lovely bar. Only downside the room has nowhere near enough lighting..rather gloomy...and the muppet who set off the fire alarm at 3am (but appreciated the apologetic letter from the night manager). Great spot. Recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid the room by the lift.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Becky H
Lovely to see that you were pleased with the room! Thank you very much for recommending us! As for the fire alarm - thank you very much for your great feedback!
We look foward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I really loved this hotel.
Lovely room,facilities & location.
Breakfast was good & the pool was really clean.
The staff were helpful and very friendly.
Parking was not great, the hotel had two car parks, but both were very small & struggled to accommodate all of the guests.
Excellent location, close to everything that we wanted!!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a brilliant review! Thank you ever so much, we are delighted and flattered that you love our hotel!
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have just completed a three month membership of the spa and gym. Both are fairly basic but adequate - or could be if a few basic issues were rectified. The facilities are only passably clean - even though they are closed every Monday supposedly for a 'deep clean'. The loo particularly could really do with a proper clean. The water in the shower is boiling hot - and it cannot be regulated. The last thing you need after a workout is a 'too hot' shower. I was told by the staff on the desk that the water has to be hot for babies - this can't be right - someone told me that she had heard a child scream in pain because the water was so hot. I can't understand why this can't be sorted - it would save the hotel money and meet 'green' objectives. I have fed back my comments to the staff but they aren't really interested. I won't be going back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments, though I am very sorry to hear that you did not see the results of a sufficient deep clean! I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping contractors as this is certainly not a usual standard and once again I do sincerely apologise! I can assure you that we are interested in what you have told us and we shall be taking the appropriate action necessary.
yeovil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a large modern corporate style hotel with good facilities and comfortable rooms.
The staff are friendly and helpful. There is secure parking.
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Bar prices are high, but apart from that the hotel is good value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Delighted that you consider us good value! We hope to welcome you again soon!
NI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. It's a bit corporate, but if you book early enough it is a complete bargain. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern and the staff are friendly. The added indoor pool, fitness facilities and spa just add to the hotel. It's a short walk into the quay area of Bristol where you can find a ton of great bars and restaurants.

The breakfast buffet is a little pricey, but worth every penny.

Stayed November 2013
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Good to see that you will be back ! Thank you for your lovely comments, we are flattered that you love the hotel!