“Not a spa hotel”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
“Not a spa hotel”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Good location but disappointed at lack of steam room,sauna and jacuzzi. There is small pool and gym with beauty salon in separate building offering treatments at a charge so not a spa hotel. Also rooms far too hot and you cant open windows

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank kasandg
Zowie O, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Apologies for not living up to your expectations. We’ll look into things, and I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel and Spa some time in the future. Kind regards, Olga Babkina, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Somerset
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Spent 3 days at a conference here in November 2013, Not the prettiest hotel from the outside and not in the prettiest part of Bristol. However, once you are past that you have an excellent hotel with lots going for it. The hotel was busy but seemed peaceful and quiet. My room was excellent with a huge bathroom and lots of little extras like a nespresso machine.

There is a very nice pool and a small but good gym (there is also a spa which I didn't see). The food was first class. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner there and all had great choice and top quality food.

Probably the most impressive aspect, however, was the staff who, from first to last, were amazing. They simply could not have done more to make the conference go smoothly and to make the guests feel special.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel and Spa again very soon. Kind regards, Olga Babkina, Front Office Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We are here for nine nights, this is only our second night.

So far, we have been told twice that the mold in the shower will be cleaned, it has not been. We have twice been told our safe will be fixed, it has not been. On our first night we were told the car park would cost £12 per night but no-one mentioned we would need a card in order to get out of said car park, luckily when we were stuck at the boom gate another resident explained and helped us to get out. This evening (our second night) we were unable to get in to the car park as we have to press a button which allows deliveries in????, and no-one wanted us for a delivery and so ignored us at the boom gate. I had to walk across the car park to reception and plead to be allowed in to the car park.

There is no self serve laundry here either, which is annoying for a family of four considering one pair of briefs costs £2 for the hotel to launder. We asked if there was a launderette nearby and was told that "no-one uses them anymore" and we should use their service. Luckily, a girl in the local Tesco's was more than helpful and we have now found the launderette.

I would not recommend staying here with a family or for more than a couple of nights. We have another week here before we return to Australia and have to make the best of it. Wish us luck.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
I was very sorry to read this - I do hope that we were able to rectify all your unfortunate experiences throughout the rest of your stay! I do wish that I had met you myself, I certainly would have gone out of my way to restore your faith in us again!
There is a launderette - I am unsure as to why you were told no one uses them anymore! But the thing is it's a good twenty five minute walk away from the hotel and to send someone who does not know Bristol very well..!
I do hope we can welcome you back fro a hassle free stay!
London
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel on 16/11/2013 in a Superior Kingsize room.

Room, Excellent. Good size, never heard another guest and nice and modern. Had a couple of small issues when I first arrived, addressed this with reception and was fixed immediately. Cant ask for more than that.

Breakfast, Outstanding and the staff were friendly and organised. Had two boys under the age of 2 years old with us and were immediately offered a table away from other guests (which we really appreciated as didnt want to disturb anyone) also the waiter was very helpful and even placed the highchairs in place telling me about this two boys aged 2 and 4 years old.

Cant recommend this hotel enough and will be staying again whenever we visit Bristol. Also the hotel for location is close walking distance to Centre of Bristol which is always nice not to have to get back into the car.

Room Tip: Chose a King Size Superior room and managed to fit two cots and a double pram.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Zowie O, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel and Spa. Kind regards, Olga Babkina, Front Office Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

A friend and I booked to stay over on a Saturday night. We were really impressed by the size of our twin room on the third floor. With two double beds, it was an L shaped room which felt really spacious. There was no view apart from over the air con plant and a central courtyard (you can pay for a nicer view!) but we didn't mind at all. It was quiet and the curtains offered fantastic blackout so we had a great night's sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlie162a
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Glad to see you were impressed with the size of our twin rooms! The curtains do really offer a blackout feeling! Thank you for your comments and please do stay again!
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We have just returned from our third stay at this hotel and we are planning out next stay there already. The staff in the hotel are all so friendly helpful and well presented. The rooms are great warn with very comfortable beds and quiet and peaceful. The pool is an added bonus and warm and inviting. We really enjoyed our three course dinner and my eggs Benedict for breakfast were beautifully cooked. I recommend the whole thing and if you ever did have any small problems Zowie will be there to solve it - she doesn't seem to stop and works very hard and always seems to be on duty and with a smile

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you once again for your lovely feedback (I may go a little pink from your kind words as it is always a delight to ensure guests are as comfortable as possible during their stay!)
We look forward to welcoming you again in the New Year!
Taunton, Somerset.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Yes, the staff are friendly & the food was good quality, hot & unlimited.
But: unless you're really lucky you can't park in the car park, they automatically added £15:00 to my room charge stating "that's for you to spend in the bar later" which I took to be majorly presumptuous & the room had most definitely not been vacuumed as the previous visitor obviously wasn't keen on their complimentary flapjack & had spread it around the room / stuffed it down the back of the chair etc.

We stayed for a colleagues birthday celebrations & the evening was very good. Plus, we were off & out early the following day so the state of the room wasn't worth complaining about as the bed & bathroom were satisfactorily clean. But the aforementioned food deposits just proved that the cleaning staff only concentrated on the obvious areas (apart from the floor!) & certainly hadn't taken any care or pride in their work.

We paid a complementary rate due to the function & it was reasonable plus included the car parking fee; by pure chance, I found the last remaining place: nobody else in our party did so had to use on-street. We didn't use the pool, spa etc so can't comment.

So yes, a nice place, a reasonable location in relation to the city centre & good food.
I would stay again but please, have a word with your cleaners & certainly do NOT assume that I will be using your bar by adding a charge to my credit card as I book in!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the pre authorisation that was made on your card when you checked in- by all means, the amount that we hold is not to assume that you will go to the bar, or to even encourage you to do so. It is simply an estimate of the final total that may be on your bill at the end of the stay. I apologise if this caused you offence but we certainly did not intend to as it is a standard policy.
I do offer my sincerest apologies for the cleanliness of the room and I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping contractor as what you found was certainly unacceptable. I would like to confirm that the appropriate action has been taken.
Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.