“updated afternoon tea - wowser!”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had a poor experience of afternoon tea in Oct 2013 purchased on a Groupon type voucher & the manager answered my Review by inviting us for a complimentary tea which we had in early Dec. Wow! What a tea they provided. Nothing was too much trouble & the content of the tea was fantastic. A 3 tier cake stand full of 4 different sorts of sandwiches, egg, smoked salmon, cheese & chicken. And another cake stand with a lovely fresh scone each with loads of jam & cream plus chocolate brownies & assorted cream cakes. We had numerous refills to our tea & coffee & two of us had both tea & coffee. What a difference to our first experience. If this is the standard of the tea they would normally serve I would now highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Fabulous! I am delighted that we had the opportunity to welcome you back - thank you very much for this! - and delighted that it was a wowser experience for you! Thank you for recommending us!

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Decided to stay for one night to explore Bristol city centre. Ideally located in a relatively quiet area. About 10 minutes walk to the old town ( St Nicholas market ) and then not very far to the main shopping centre ( about 15 minutes walk ). Rooms were very spacious but the hotel was very staid and business like including the furniture. There was a lack of ambience. We had an evening meal which was perfect as was the breakfast. This used to be an insurance company building and it seems that it hasn't quite got its own identity yet. However, we would stay again as the value was exceptional ( £40 for the room including breakfast! ) although would happily pay more. The biggest disappointment was the swimming pool. At first it was claustrophobic being in the basement with no windows and the changing rooms were not particularly clean. We made two visits to the pool during our stay and on both occasions there were dirty towels, litter and debris left in the showers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback but I was of course very disapointed to read that the swimming pool area was not of the usual high standard of cleanliness; I do apologise for this.
Regarding the swimming pool, I do appreciate that some people would prefer natural light, however we try to creat a relaxing atmosphere with our multi coloured low lighting!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Nice hotel and lobby, with large rooms that are well equipped. However, the rooms and especially they bathrooms are getting tired and need not just cleaning but also refurbishment.

Staff were very friendly, as its brilliant to have free wifi in your room without being charged for it!

Another downside is the small gym and the swimming pool which has very low ceilings, making it feel very claustrophobic - hence why I didnt use it.

All in all a decent hotel, but needs updating to maintain its four star status

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NassirM

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us, I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is very useful as we are certainly preparing for future plans of potential refurbishments. Once again thank you for your comments!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked this hotel for my sister's 16th Birthday. I booked the spa-revival package, for one night as a real treat and as a student this is rare and quite a lot of money for me !
I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival and explained our visit was for my sister's celebration and if there was any chance of being allocated a nice room. I received an email explaining we had been allocated a lovely room, overlooking the church.
I was very pleased, however on arrival there was no acknowledgement of my sister's birthday, whilst not always expected, it would of been nice to receive that personal touch.
Upon entering the room, sadly I felt very underwhelmed. It was mainly clean, with the exception being the bathroom, the view on offer wasn't great, facing the main road and flats, when previously being told we would get a lovely room overlooking the church it heightened the disappointment.
The gesture of a room upgrade would of been greatly appreciated and would of shown me the Mercure really value and want each guest to have a memorable experience. It is actions like this which for me ensure repeat custom and loyalty, which I am afraid they have failed to gain on this occasion.
I didn't feel it was suitable to bring this issue to the staff's attention, as it would of put a dampener on my sister's visit, furthermore when I had already been told we would be given a nice room it is really on the hotel's shoulders to keep to their word.
The poor lighting in the rooms is something to take note of, Mercure if the majority of your customers' complain about a function within your hotel, shouldn't you be trying to rectify this as soon as possible ? This is a valuable opportunity to show guests you care and are keen to propose a solution regarding the feedback you receive.
Nevertheless the hotel aesthetics' are lovely, just it is lacking in wowing the customer with thoughtfulness and service delivery.
Dinner was good, perhaps improvements could be made on the menu it was limited in both size and choice.
Breakfast was very good and the waiters were all attentive and friendly.
For me this 'luxury hotel' has the potential to be great but before, it needs to ensure the services offered and the guests' experiences are made the top priority.
Overall It has not done enough for me to return on this occasion, but I sincerely hope In the near future it will be special enough for me to return and celebrate with them again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cyprus101
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your very thoughtful and considerate review. I am very disappointed that you did not receive the upgrade as promised, this is a certainly a mistake on our part I do apologise for this. Also, the fact that it was a special occasion should have been acknowledge by the team at reception and once again I offer my apologies.
We do take on board all feedback and we have of course noticed the repeated comments of dimmly lit rooms. I can assure you this has not been ignored but has been taken into great considertation in line with future refurbishment plans for the hotel. As I am sure you can appreciate with it being a 275 bedroom hotel it will not be a quick fix, but I can inform you that this is part of future plans. In the meantime we provide lamps at reception should anybody wish for more light in their room.
Once again we am very sorry that you did not receive the upgrade and should we hopefully have the opportinuty to welcome you again then please do contact the hotel directly.
Zowie Osborne Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have used the Mecure holland hotel before and had a good experience. This time we asked for a room on a higher floor as we wanted peace and quiet and that's just what we got. Lovely room with a comfy bed. Lovely big shower room and very clean and tidy. The hotel is very nice and plush from the reception to the rooms. The best thing for us was the value for money. We took advantage of the winter warmer deal for £60 as we have to come to Bristol on a regular basis because our children live here. You just could not beat it value for money! Excellent all round and will will be returning to this hotel in the near future. Very happy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a great score! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and consider our deals great value for money! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Zowie Osborne - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We came for 5 days at Christmas on a coach tour from Yorkshire. We had requested a front room top floor because we thought we were going to "The Bristol Hotel" (on the Quay) where we stayed before in a front room. However we were met on arrival and quickly got to our room, a top floor front room. The Mercure is not on the Quay and the front room was over the main Road. However the room was large with a large bathroom with bath and shower (unlike some of the other reviews who only had a shower). We were disappointed as the room was so dark (not so much a problem maybe if you are only staying one night). There were only tiny lights over the bed and tiny lights over the wardrobe doors in a corner near the bathroom door and a small lamp on the dressing table near the TV.There was a table and easy chairs but no lamp or any light to be able to sit and read in the evening. I requested some more light and was soon supplied by a small standard lamp which was very short on lead but we managed to get it fairly near the table to be able to read. Not really satisfactory if you are staying 5 days - in dark weather especially. Rooms definitely need more lights and lamps. Also the rooms could do with a more mirrors somewhere in the room. You have to walk back in the bathroom for a mirror if someone else is sitting using the dressing table mirror near the TV. The hotel staff were really great though and were so nice and polite and helpful and the food was fine (although some of the old folks were full of moans about the food and everything !). We do wonder though why the bar prices are so high ( as in other "hotels"). We only bought drinks once at the bar as the only sort of smooth beer ( not lager) was more than £4 per pint which is ridiculous and ofcourse meant that not many people were buying drinks in the bar and we never saw anyone buy a bottle of wine at £26 !!!! Why not lower prices and keep the bar busy ?? It's OK for business meetings and reps and Conferences etc when everything is charged to Expenses but normal people on short breaks will not pay those prices. They will manage without ! But maybe people from London or the South or Abroad would think the bar prices are OK ??? We went out to find a bar.
The pool was very nice but small and I was lucky and managed to go at the right time and had the pool to myself for a while but would not want to be in there if there were more than 3 or 4 people and definitely not if there were kids allowed in.

Room Tip: Friends who stayed at the back of the hotel said they got a very large room with 2 big twin beds so...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us during such a lovely time of the year! I shall share your kind words regarding staff as I am sure this will be a great encouragement for them, especially considering it was christmas! Just to let you know, our best rooms are at the front of the hotel, our king executive rooms, therefore I am very pleased to hear that you had one of these rooms to celebrate christmas in! Regarding our bar prices, we create these in comparison with other hotels as I am sure you may already know. Thank you once again for your feedback and please do visit us again next Christmas!