“A title tired”

Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Kent, UK
“A title tired”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Disappointed with the quality of the room. Although the major parts of the room were clean I.e bedding and bathroom. The carpet was stained, there were handprints on a mirror and around the bathroom door. The furniture was worn and generally looking a little tired. Food in the restaurant was of a good standard and value for money. The wine was a little expensive but of good quality. Location was very quiet and in a good location to be able to walk into the city.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Mercure. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping contractors and I wish to express my apologies that the room was not sufficently cleaned.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your meal had in the restaurant and I do hope that you would consider us again for a future visit.
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here with my wife, great location, 5 min walk to Harbourside and the city centre, good bar in hotel and great service from the staff. Rooms were very spacious and clean, would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I am really happy to hear that everything was great for you! Please do consider us as your hotel for your next visit to Bristol!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Overall our stay was amazing! The food was great and the staff/service is good. A few things in our package were forgotten which was a bit annoying but it wasn't anything that couldn't be sorted. Our desserts at dinner also took almost an hour to come out which was made up to us with two free glasses of the best wine I've ever tasted! So even though things went wrong they were actually really good at sorting it and seemed to genuinely want to make things better.

• Stayed February 2014
That's brilliant to hear! - the fact that even though you experienced problems they were rectified efficiently! That is one of the key factors of customer service - in any service based establishment you will find that things can go wrong, mistakes can be made, however if the problem is dealt with efficiently and in a professional manner (plus a smile!) then perfect. It's not just what you do, but how you provide that solution - that is what makes customer service a challenge but also very rewarding when the customer is happy with the outcome.Thank you for your review
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a 1 night spa break in January. The hotel itself is well presented and the rooms are large and comfy. The bathroom could really do with a make over but was not terrible. We had a 3 course meal in the evening which was my highlight, it was stupendous and only improved by the staff in particular a gentleman named Oleg who had an excellent knowledge of wine and for whom nothing was too much trouble. He is the reason this is a 4* and not a 3. The pool is small and quickly becomes crowded to the point of frustration in peak hours. The spa was not the best I've been to but good value.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for remembering the name of the person who served you in the restaurant - now we can boast about Oleg's great customer service to his manager!
Please do visit us again on your next trip to Bristol!
Salisbury, Wilts.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed overnight on a short visit to the theatre and were impressed with the standard and service we received at The Mercure.

The hotel is modern and comfortable and our room (a standard double) was clean and had everything we needed for our stay. Bathroom was modern with a large walk in shower and thick fluffy towels. If I had to nit-pick perhaps the lighting is a bit too dim in the bedroom and the pillows could have been firmer, but generally we were comfortable and warm - the heating worked well.

An added bonus was the heated pool and it was almost empty during our stay. A sauna and steam room would have been the icing on the cake, but the temperature of the pool area was almost like a sauna itself - very warm.

Very impressed with the food and service in the restaurant. For under £20 each we had a lovely 3 course meal, which I don't think is expensive; on the other hand wine at almost £8 a glass was too much. So perhaps have a glass of wine in your room before dinner and stick to water with the meal if you object to paying that much.

Breakfast was excellent - buffet style but beautifully presented and fresh. The restaurant manager showed guests around before seating them, which was a nice touch.

Location is very good and only a short walk into town. We managed to park at the side of the road so only had to pay for a few hours parking, the hotel car park costs £12 a day - which is a bit high. All things considered we will certainly stay again on our next trip to Bristol.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melbermar
Thank you for your delightful review! We really do appreciate it when guests are descriptive about each aspect of their stay!
I shall share your comments with each department; the restaurant and kitchen will especially be pleased!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel looks fabulous in the photos, imagine my surprise when you arrive and from the outside, it looks like an 70's office block. However I was pleasantly surprised with the interior decor as is very clean and modern.
The room we stayed in was a deluxe and I would say that this wasn't deluxe and was pretty cold but very clean, comfy bed and lovely bathroom. The toiletries were nice, although a little small as not enough shampoo for me and my partner, but this is fairly standard with all hotels.
Nice food and well presented although slightly pricey. Would not recommend if you want a quiet dinner as this seems to be the hotel that all the contestants get put up in for Deal or No Deal, so a lot of noisy diners...although I am sure that this is not a every week occurrence, we were just unlucky maybe to be staying at the same time as filming.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCrabb1975
Thank you for your room, I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, though I do appreciate the points that you have highlighted. The restaurant can be a rather lively atmosphere when we have large groups in to dinner but as you mentioned, this is not every week!
Please do visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I was booked in for 5 nights on a business trip. I had the standard double room which was of adequate size for myself but would have been cramped for 2 persons.
At first glance the bathroom was sparkling but on closer inspection there was old blood stains both on the bin and ingrained in the floor tiles surrounding the bin. The room was adequately heated but the windows cannot be opened so by day 3 I had a blocked nose and sore throat which would clear once I had left the hotel for the day.
Also bring a torch as the lighting in the room is terribly dim. 2 of the days the bed was unmade when I returned and the bathroom had been replenished but not cleaned. Another thing to bear in mind is that although there is a fridge in the room, it only works when the door key car is inserted into the slot that controls the lighting therefore if like me you are out all day, the contents in the fridge have gone warm when you return.
Breakfast however is the best I have ever had in a hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your informative review of your recent stay with us, though I must say I am of course shocked at what you described within regards to cleanliness! I do sincerely apologise that your room was not sufficiently serviced during your stay.
With regards to the lighting in the room, we have indeed received many feedback of this and I can confirm that re design of this is included in future refurbishment plans. In the meanwhile we provide lamps at reception.
I do hope that one day we have the opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with a genuine hassle free and enjoyable stay.