“Brilliant”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
uk
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We've just spent a lovely long weekend with my spouse in Mercure Holland House. It was amazing. We felt very welcomed, loved our room, which was spacious and clean.
The hotel provided free casino at the bar (based on free hotel money) so we even won few drinks for free! While we enjoyed our drinks, hotel magician grabbed our attention and showed us few tricks.
Where else could you get this?

On the top of that, bar staff was amazing during all the time. If we had been to Bristol before we wouldn't even bother to go out. I especially want to thank Lenka for the great service that she provided us with. Witty bartenders cannot be found in every hotel either!
We also loved the swimming pool which is open 24/7!

The only thing we did not like was car park charge and the view from the room.

We definitely recommend this hotel and would surely come back.

• Liked — staff, room
  • Disliked — view, expensive car park
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We loved our stay at Mercure Holland House, Bristol. The hotel is an excellent place to stay, being within easy walking distance of the centre of the city and having excellent amenities. The staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was large with a super-king bed, two armchairs and a chaise-longue. There was a swimming pool and a gym - both free. Fast internet access was also free. Our price included breakfast, which was a buffet with a wide selection of foods, both hot and cold.

• Liked — The size and comfort of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheerfulchick
Sussex
Reviewed 29 August 2008

We had a pleasant stay here overall. The hotel is large, clean and has comfortable public spaces and bedrooms. However standard bedrooms seem only to have showers which was unexpected. We were told that only the ground floor has the plumbing suitable for baths! These rooms, with baths, are in my opinion best to avoid, as the one I saw was above the indoor swimming pool and smelt damp.

On our Sunday morning some guests had to wait patiently to get given tables for breakfast as the hotel was I assume full and there was not enough space in the dining room. Guests helped themselves to a good buffet breakfast but we had to collect coffees and teas from catering urns. Apparently there is a waitress service for guests for tea and coffees on all days but Sunday!

The staff were pleasant, welcoming and friendly. Our weekend price + £10 for parking ( apparently a cost every hotel in Bristol adds) was very good value- something masses of other August holiday makers must have noticed !

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank windsorsoup
Swansea
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Mostly agree with everyone except that no one has mentioned the noise that is in the room when the air conditioning is off. There's background hum that (if you concentrate on trying to sleep) seems to get louder. I tried three rooms and eventually had to submit to using the one with the least noise.

Breakfast in the dining room was embarrasing - it was more like a self service motorway cafe than a 4* hotel.

Staff looked surprised when I reported problems so I guess I was the first to have them.

Great location - take a right turn out of the hotel and the first right again to the bottom of the road and you can walk over the bridge to the harbour. The Ostrich pub does good food at brilliant prices.

• Liked — Location, leaving
  • Disliked — air con noise, cleaners late servicing room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
SouthWest
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I was very happy with my stay! James was a perfect example of what a front of house manager should be.
I had some concerns but they were dealt with really quickly.
The hotel was clean and very airy and well lighted.
I will be staying there again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Well situated and easy to get to

The room was large, but laid out in a strange way. There was a large cupboard in the corner of the room which was making a lot of noise - a mechanical droning. We advised reception of this and were told there was nothign they could do. A bad nights sleep.

Parking cost extra and the breakfast was very expensive and cold.

• Liked — Big clean room
  • Disliked — Very noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I was sorry to read the recent traveler's negative experience with the Mercure Holland House. As an International Flight Attendant, I have the opportunity to stay in incredible locations at top notch hotels around the world. This summer alone I have visited Rome, Milan, Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, Barcelona, Madrid, London, Stratford Upon Avon, etc., etc.

Here's what I've enjoyed at the Mercure: (by the way... we use to stay at the Marriott... a very nice hotel... but I prefer the neighborhood feel and convenience of the Mercure)
1- 5 minute walk to the train station which has taken me to Bath (a 15 min. ride) where I enjoyed a tour of the Roman Baths
2- A short bus ride from the train station where I attended the International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in 2007... incredible!
3- A short 15 minute walk along the beautiful River Avon to great shopping and fine dining.

Other crewmembers have enjoyed the scenic hike to the expansion bridge too. (in my future travel plans!) :o)

There is also the lovely church adjacent to the hotel, mountain bike rentals for the outdoor enthusiast, and a very nice restaurant and lounge in the hotel.

The rooms are spacious, classy and clean, with many amenities. I always look forward to picking up a trip to Bristol (as I am tomorrow) to enjoy this hotel and the sights nearby. P.S... I typically go out alone (daytime hours) and have never been approached or felt threatened here in the many times I have stayed.

• Liked — Spacious, classy rooms
  • Disliked — View from back of hotel
  • Stayed August 2008