“Nice hotel for weekend in Bristol”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed for 1 night on 5 April 2014 for our first wedding anniversary. Nice big clean room and ideal location for the habourside, shopping centres are about 10 minutes walk and breakfast is great.

There was alot of hen and stag parties staying so probably not a great hotel to use if you have children with you.

Would be nice if there was a specified smoking area so you didnt have to walk through everyone smoking when you come in the front door. Some parts of the hotel do look like they need some tlc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your suggestion of a specified smoking area, I shall share your comments with the team! I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and please do no be deterred by the hen parties!
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,707)

Reviewed 8 April 2014

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL AT THE WEEKEND UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF A HEN NIGHT! My wife and I stayed for three nights Friday - Sunday when visiting our daughter in Bristol in early April 14. From the name t -shirts at breakfast I would estimate that there was at least ten different hen parties staying at the hotel. Maybe they do some kind of special hen deal with discount for the noisiest and the drunkest. On the Friday night we were woken up at 3.00 am by someone called Donna banging on our room door demanding to be let in. It took around twenty minutes to get her to realise that she was not banging on the right door. On the Saturday night we we woken up at around 2.00am by a loud fight between two hens right outside our room door. The coming and going around this incident, including hotel staff trying to remove the offending combatants took around half an hour. Mercifully on the Sunday night we managed to get a full night sleep after wandering around Bristol like Zombies for two days.
The most disappointing aspect of these incidents was the complete lack of any attempt by the management of the hotel to contact us and offer any kind of apology. On the Saturday morning we complained at the reception desk to be told that someone called Zoey of "the management" would be informed and that we should come back and ask for her. Call me old fashioned but I don't think I should have to go hunting out Zoeys when reporting such obviously disturbing incidents - the Zoeys should have come looking for us to apologise and offer some kind of explanation as to how they intended to deal with the issue. The following night my wife rang the desk directly when the fight started - but again no-one subsequently sought us out to apologise. Unfortunately I had prepaid the hotel booking via one of the hotel deal websites and so did not even have the opportunity to refuse to pay. So, to repeat the point, unless you are planning a weekend of drunken debauchery with a large number of your chums in specially made t-shirts give this place the widest possible berth!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill T
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

I can see that you were overwhelmed by the volume of hen parties at the hotel during your stay - we did have quite a few groups at the hotel that time, but that is something that is seen in many city hotels during a weekend. During the week the hotel is mainly used by business guests then of course on the weekend we look after the leisure guests. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed during the night, I can appreciate how unsettling this must have been.
We do take these situations very seriously –when we are aware of certain parties we tend to allocate them in a different part of the hotel to ensure they do not disturb other guests. At the same time, we do hope those guests respect that there are other people also paying to stay at the hotel but to relax! Our nights team try to react as quickly as possible to any noise complaints but as I am sure you can appreciate, we can only do so much.
I am sorry that I was unable to contact you during your stay – I most certainly would have been very happy to sit down with you to discuss your experience and I would still like to have the opportunity to do this. I would be grateful if you would contact me on h6698-dm@accor.com to discuss further.
Thank you for your review and I hope to hear from you soon

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our room was comfortable and the sleep quality was excellent, but to be honest it was no better than your average budget chain hotel. The tea/coffee tray was a tad sparse, but to be fair when we asked for further supplies at reception, we were given them straightaway. We were a little disappointed that piles and piles of dirty bedding was scattered round the hallway for hours on end as were a fair number of empty wine bottles, pizza boxes and other detritus from guest bedrooms waiting to be serviced, and this is one of the reasons I have rated the cleanliness as "average"
We were disappointed by the bar area which, being large and open plan, was not conducive to having a quiet drink and chat and we gave up on it when a large party turned up and the noise level became so unbearable that we couldn't hear ourselves think. The other really disappointing thing about the bar area is the stale smell. We put it down to the fabric on the sofas which have the peculiar aroma one normally only smells in charity shops. This was the other reason that I rated the cleanliness in the way that I did. Perhaps it's time to either steam clean or replace the furniture?
The choice at breakfast time was good, and the quality of the sausages and bacon was not disappointing, but some of the cooked food was lukewarm rather than hot. That being said, we did get enough to eat and the quality was acceptable.
I wouldn't put anyone off from staying as the bed was really comfortable and the room felt scrupulously clean, but if you are looking for luxury, you won't find it here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to see that we did not quite fit your four star expectations! For sure the dirty laundry and rubbish from the bedrooms should not have stayed in the corridor as long you suggested – I can assure you that I have shared these comments with our housekeeping manager to ensure this is not be the case! I am also very sad to see that you do not consider us as luxurious; I can confirm that we shall undergo a refurbishment this year so please do return in the near future!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Have used this hotel before. Decided to upgrade to a Privilege room but the extras were not replenished daily. However the size of the room and the bathroom made up for it! Excellent wi-fi as well. Joined the Accor card scheme too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

That’s great news – welcome to the Accor family! Glad you liked the privilege room too though I am sorry that the amenities were not replenished sufficiently – I have shared your comments with our housekeeping manager.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel Friday night after a trip to the zoo and sight seeing, doesn't look like much from the outside but completely different inside, very posh looking, our room was very big, huge bed! Fully equip fridge kettle iron etc, lovely view from 5th floor of bristol harbour. Check in was easy and quick, just what you want after a long drive, the only bad point I have is parking - it's £12 for the day/night which some may think is fine for bristol city centre, but it was impossible to find a space, we had to park around the corner in a pay and display which was very awkward and wasn't secure, Mercure definitely needs more parking for such a big hotel, would stay again though.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jemma E

Thank you for your lovely review! I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay! I am envious that you went to visit the Zoo too! The best views are from the fifth floor, lovely to see you had the opportunity to have one. Regarding parking, I am sorry to see you had a little difficulty with this, it can get rather busy at the weekends but our reception staff are always ready to assist!
Hopefully see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed here on a Saturday night & chose the hotel for its location&swimming pool. Looking forward to a nice leisurely swim after a 3 hour drive we were v disappointed to find a tiny swimming pool (nothing like the photo depicted) which had 10 people in it&resembled a purple Ronnie sketch! There were only 3 sun loungers so we were forced to sit on the floor but it was so unbearably hot & noisy we decided to leave. There was no sauna, jacuzzi or steam room which was disappointing considering the hotel describes itself as a spa. The room was nice enough clean etc. unfortunately we were woken 3/4 times in the early hours by the hen/stag groups. I appreciate the rowdiness is not the hotel's fault but I thought they could have planned the rooms better so they were in rooms near the lift rather than at the end of a corridor thus walking past lots of rooms, waking everyone up. Having left 2 small children at home with grandparents we were looking forward to a good night's sleep so this was particularly annoying! Overall this is an ok hotel but not worthy of £130 a night given the lack of spa facilities. Also beware of noisy hen/stag groups if staying at the weekend

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your comments – I am sorry that you were disturbed by hen and stag groups staying at the hotel. We realise that these types of groups may be a little louder than the average guest and we do take this into great consideration. On the weekends we try to allocate certain groups to different parts of the hotel, though unfortunately sometimes we cannot always guarantee that this this be successful with a fully booked night.
Regarding the Spa, we are very careful of how we advertise our facilities - on the website we specify a pool and a fitness suite, we do not advertise that we have a Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room etc. I can appreciate your disappointment, however in our Spa; the treatments we provide are what one would expect in a Spa!
Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you would consider us again for a future visit to Bristol.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute through Expedia, staying for one night. I arrived around 10:30 after seeing a play at the Old Vic. The hotel looked impressive from the outside and this continued inside. The receptionist I dealt with was friendly, polite and efficient. She offered me an upgrade to a privilege room for £10 which I declined, she then informed me that she had to upgrade me as all the standard rooms were gone. I thought this was a little cheeky but I understand that she has a job to do.

The room was ENORMOUS and came with lots of amenities. I was really impressed by the free standing bath.

So far, so good...

At approximately 3:30am there was a knocking, it woke me up but I dismissed it as coming from another room and fell back asleep. Twenty minutes later the knocking was still ongoing so I got up to double check it wasn't my door. It was. Rather than assume that after a minute or two of knocking that he had the wrong room he had continued. I opened the door and a man stood in front of me holding a bath robe. In my groggy state I said that I had not ordered a bath robe. Rather than apologising he retorted "Well somebody has!" I replied that it was clearly not me and closed the door. This understandably rattled me as a young female travelling alone. I look back now and realise I should have called reception first to check the person outside my room was legitimate. This interruption meant I was unable to get back to sleep for at least an hour because I was worried he would return.

I understand that miscommunication happens and it was a genuine mistake but it was the lack of an apology for waking me up at such a late hour that angers me the most.

I relayed this back to the receptionist at check out and she very quickly apologised and passed it on to the manager and promised to chase it up.

I would stay here again but I will make sure to inform reception that I will not be making any later night requests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your room; I am delighted to see that our receptionist was able to treat you with a complimentary upgrade! However, we do offer our apologies for the experience had during the night. I can confirm that we have investigated this case (thank you for providing enough information) - our night’s team are aware of what happened and will ensure it will not reoccur in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and I can promise you will have a peaceful night’s sleep.