“Good hotel within easy reach of local attractions”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel was once an office block so it isn't all that appealing from the outside. However, it is very modern inside and has everything you need for a short city break. As it was a special birthday weekend I had booked a superior room which was lovely with a king size bed, complimentary soft drinks, water and newspaper. Our view was particularly nice looking out over the river and the city from the 4th floor. The reception staff were a bit on the slow side but all were pleasant and helpful and the staff in the bar were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was pretty standard fare but it was a buffet so you could help yourself to whatever you wanted. The hotel was 5/10 minutes away from Bristol's lovely harbourside which is full of bars and restaurants and where you can go on boat trips or visit the lovely aquarium.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are worth the extra for the lovely views and the immense bathrooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

The hotel definitely is a surprise once you walk inside – very different to the look of the building itself!
Thank you for choosing us for your special weekend – I hope you had a lovely birthday! Lovely to see you explored Bristol too, we are very lucky to be so close the harbourside!
We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,778)

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Paid extra for the Privilege room and was amazed - you could have fit 2 rooms into one and a roll-top bath in the ensuite. Shame I wasn't there long enough to enjoy it! Good location and good brekkie. Wifi no problem and a nice bar. Barman very friendly which makes a difference. One disappointment - the room lighting was abysmal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank blueskychris

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your room and thank you for upgrading! I shall also share your comments with the bar manager regarding the friendly service you received.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Our room was very good, but i cant say it was the best 4*mercure hotel i ever been. I cant find any hair drier in the room. But this hotel allow you to check in early and late check out. I went to bristol for a party, for sure will end up waking up on the next morning.
Unfortunately they don't provide a free car park for the customer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Purpleglass

I am delighted that your room was very good though I am a little disappointed that we are were your best Mercure - please do consider us upon your next visit to Bristol for us to show you that we can be!
It’s also quite normal for a city hotel to charge for parking, I am sorry that this was surprise for you. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed for 1 night on 5 April 2014 for our first wedding anniversary. Nice big clean room and ideal location for the habourside, shopping centres are about 10 minutes walk and breakfast is great.

There was alot of hen and stag parties staying so probably not a great hotel to use if you have children with you.

Would be nice if there was a specified smoking area so you didnt have to walk through everyone smoking when you come in the front door. Some parts of the hotel do look like they need some tlc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your suggestion of a specified smoking area, I shall share your comments with the team! I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and please do no be deterred by the hen parties!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL AT THE WEEKEND UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF A HEN NIGHT! My wife and I stayed for three nights Friday - Sunday when visiting our daughter in Bristol in early April 14. From the name t -shirts at breakfast I would estimate that there was at least ten different hen parties staying at the hotel. Maybe they do some kind of special hen deal with discount for the noisiest and the drunkest. On the Friday night we were woken up at 3.00 am by someone called Donna banging on our room door demanding to be let in. It took around twenty minutes to get her to realise that she was not banging on the right door. On the Saturday night we we woken up at around 2.00am by a loud fight between two hens right outside our room door. The coming and going around this incident, including hotel staff trying to remove the offending combatants took around half an hour. Mercifully on the Sunday night we managed to get a full night sleep after wandering around Bristol like Zombies for two days.
The most disappointing aspect of these incidents was the complete lack of any attempt by the management of the hotel to contact us and offer any kind of apology. On the Saturday morning we complained at the reception desk to be told that someone called Zoey of "the management" would be informed and that we should come back and ask for her. Call me old fashioned but I don't think I should have to go hunting out Zoeys when reporting such obviously disturbing incidents - the Zoeys should have come looking for us to apologise and offer some kind of explanation as to how they intended to deal with the issue. The following night my wife rang the desk directly when the fight started - but again no-one subsequently sought us out to apologise. Unfortunately I had prepaid the hotel booking via one of the hotel deal websites and so did not even have the opportunity to refuse to pay. So, to repeat the point, unless you are planning a weekend of drunken debauchery with a large number of your chums in specially made t-shirts give this place the widest possible berth!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill T
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

I can see that you were overwhelmed by the volume of hen parties at the hotel during your stay - we did have quite a few groups at the hotel that time, but that is something that is seen in many city hotels during a weekend. During the week the hotel is mainly used by business guests then of course on the weekend we look after the leisure guests. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed during the night, I can appreciate how unsettling this must have been.
We do take these situations very seriously –when we are aware of certain parties we tend to allocate them in a different part of the hotel to ensure they do not disturb other guests. At the same time, we do hope those guests respect that there are other people also paying to stay at the hotel but to relax! Our nights team try to react as quickly as possible to any noise complaints but as I am sure you can appreciate, we can only do so much.
I am sorry that I was unable to contact you during your stay – I most certainly would have been very happy to sit down with you to discuss your experience and I would still like to have the opportunity to do this. I would be grateful if you would contact me on h6698-dm@accor.com to discuss further.
Thank you for your review and I hope to hear from you soon

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our room was comfortable and the sleep quality was excellent, but to be honest it was no better than your average budget chain hotel. The tea/coffee tray was a tad sparse, but to be fair when we asked for further supplies at reception, we were given them straightaway. We were a little disappointed that piles and piles of dirty bedding was scattered round the hallway for hours on end as were a fair number of empty wine bottles, pizza boxes and other detritus from guest bedrooms waiting to be serviced, and this is one of the reasons I have rated the cleanliness as "average"
We were disappointed by the bar area which, being large and open plan, was not conducive to having a quiet drink and chat and we gave up on it when a large party turned up and the noise level became so unbearable that we couldn't hear ourselves think. The other really disappointing thing about the bar area is the stale smell. We put it down to the fabric on the sofas which have the peculiar aroma one normally only smells in charity shops. This was the other reason that I rated the cleanliness in the way that I did. Perhaps it's time to either steam clean or replace the furniture?
The choice at breakfast time was good, and the quality of the sausages and bacon was not disappointing, but some of the cooked food was lukewarm rather than hot. That being said, we did get enough to eat and the quality was acceptable.
I wouldn't put anyone off from staying as the bed was really comfortable and the room felt scrupulously clean, but if you are looking for luxury, you won't find it here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to see that we did not quite fit your four star expectations! For sure the dirty laundry and rubbish from the bedrooms should not have stayed in the corridor as long you suggested – I can assure you that I have shared these comments with our housekeeping manager to ensure this is not be the case! I am also very sad to see that you do not consider us as luxurious; I can confirm that we shall undergo a refurbishment this year so please do return in the near future!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Have used this hotel before. Decided to upgrade to a Privilege room but the extras were not replenished daily. However the size of the room and the bathroom made up for it! Excellent wi-fi as well. Joined the Accor card scheme too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

That’s great news – welcome to the Accor family! Glad you liked the privilege room too though I am sorry that the amenities were not replenished sufficiently – I have shared your comments with our housekeeping manager.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.