“not all I thought it would be”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I booked this for my husbands 50th,Room clean, tea tray only had 1 of everything so if you both drink the same your having to ask for more, I booked it for the hotel spa but oh dear the spa treatments are outside in another part of hotel the pool is just a pool and small!!changing room was dirty even though the note on door said it had been checked during the time i was in the pool ,Breakfast however was lovely, bar staff excellent but prices high, overall I will not be booking again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I am very disappointed that we were not as you would have hoped we would to be –especially considering it was a special occasion. I am sorry to read that you feel you would not book here again. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping manager as this is certainly not acceptable, especially if it had been signed off as cleaned during your time in the pool.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our bar staff, I shall certainly share these with their manager.
Please do consider us again for a future stay – we would be delighted to be given the opportunity turn the negatives in to the positives!

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel was pretty good. When we checked in on the Sunday afternoon, we had to wait for nearly 10 minutes as the receptionist was busy trying to sort out another customer.

We were offered 2 options for an upgrade, and for once we decided we would. We paid an extrra 20 punds for a larger room with better views, a Nespresso machine, free unlimited bar, robes and a Kingsize bed.

The room was fantastic, but give that it was a large double room, we were amazed when we found 3 pods of coffee for the Nespresso machine, 2 cans of lemonade and 1 of Coke in the unlimited mini bar and 1 pack of biscuits containing 2 small cookies. We rang reception to ask for some juice/ still drinks and were told that we had the only drinks they had in stock. They did, however, send some more coffee for us.

Later in the afternoon, we decided to go for a swim and use the gym. I've been spoiled in the past as most of the hotels I've been to have had large pools and a gym. It was possible to swim the length of the swimming pool, without having to surface for more air-and I'm asthmatic, so I know I don't breathe as well as most people.

The gym was also very small, and contained a a few running machines, a rowing machine, bike and not much else.I'm glad it wasn't busy, as it would have felt crowded.

I can't fault the hotel for the cleanliness of the rooms, gym and pool, but I was very disappointed to find out that the leisure facilities are closed every Monday morning for cleaning. We weren't aware of this when we booked the hotel.I'd planned on having a swim in the morning before checking out.

We were told rhat we could use the facilities after checking out, but I saw no point in hanging round all morning, just to be able to use the pool at 1pm.

I understand that places have to be kept clean, but having stayed in other hotels for work,and having been a member of the Village Hotel Gym in Cardiff, I've never come across having the entire facilities closed for cleaning for the entire morning.

Having said all that, I liked the location. It didn't take long to walk to the City Centre. £12 to park the car seemed excessive. I can't comment on the food, as we didn't eat at the hotel. We went for a walk and the 2 of us had breakfast and coffee for under £12- whereas the hotel were charging somewhere around this for one person.

Next time we stay in Bristol, I'll try somewhere else.

1  Thank Ruthwelsh
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for your informative comments regarding your recent stay with us, they are extremely useful!
Your room should have been set up for two people, which would include double in coffee pods and soft drink within the min bar.
I do apologise that you were not informed of the cleaning hours of the pool and gym on the Monday morning – we appreciate that this can be quite an important factor of a guests stay and I can imagine how disappointing this would have been.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your room and the location but I am sorry that the parking charge was a surprise for you – this is quite standard in city centre hotels – we based our price on other neighbouring hotels!
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future- and just to let you know- we are due to have a big refurbishment, so it will certainly be worth a visit just to take a peek at the new look!
Thank you once again for your comments – we really do appreciate it when a guest takes the time to feed us such, as already mentioned, informative and useful information.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

No tengo nada malo que decir de este hotel, buena ubicación, servicio, habitación enorme tranquila y limpia. Uno de los mejores hoteles sin duda. Lo único que me pareció un poco caro fue el desayuno que no estaba incluido y no lo pagué. Lo demas perfecto, lo recomiendo 100% y además buena piscina.

Everything has been really good for me. Good location and staff. Very big room, clean and quiet. I really recommended this hotel. Just one thing was no good for me was the breakfast price because wasn't incluided.
If I'd go again to Bristol I'll take this one. I really like and enjoy the swimming pool.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us! Very pleased to see that we will be your first choice again – a flattery!
Next time please do look into having a rate with breakfast – remember you can always call the hotel too and we shall be very happy to help!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent location near to waterside with plenty of bars and places to eat. Bedroom spacious enough but very warm (even with so called air conditioning!). Small bathroom, dimly lit. Good breakfast. Annoying charge of £12 per day for parking. Pleasant helpful staff. Very nice formal dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, though we are of course disappointed that you felt it was nothing special. Next we shall try harder! I do appreciate if you may have felt a little uncomfortable in a very warm room – we would have been more than happy to offer advice on how to cool the room down or even move you to another!
Please do give us the opportunity to welcome you back for a more comfortable stay in the future!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here for a romantic night out in our home city of Bristol, it was a good choice, the room was excellent, the hotel is clean and pleasant and trust me as a Bristolian it is in a very very good location. The only downside of the hotel is you can easily get lost in the corridoors it could do with a rethink on the signage for directions. Lovely stay though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel for a romantic night away! Your comment regarding our location is very useful for other future guests – thank you for the encouragement!
You can indeed get lost in the corridors- I certainly use to! Thank you for the tip and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Had a lunch date with a friend the food and service were very good. I then checked in my room which was lovely spacious and clean and very practical. The bed was amazing so comfortable, breakfast was very good lots of choice.

• Stayed: April 2014

Delighted that you felt welcome, we do try our utmost best!
Thank you for a lovely review and we do hope you will consider us again for a future visit to Bristol!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just returned from a four night stay as part of group.
Very impressed with this hotel,very good staff,modern clean and well furnished rooms.
We also enjoyed the buffet choice evening meals and breakfasts.
Good location just a short walk into the city centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel,much better as away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you for declaring us an excellent hotel! I am delighted that you were impressed, a sure flattery on our part!
On your next trip to Bristol, please do give us the opportunity to welcome you back!