2,967 results
All reviews swimming pool privilege room separate building city centre hen parties office block two double beds trouser press good size air con the hotel car park per night an upgrade family room sunday morning coffee machine stayed here for one night
Reviewed 29 October 2008

I stayed here for three nights tin October 2008 for business purposes and was immensely impressed with the service and the standard on the hotel. The bar area is second to none ( having experience my far share of hotel bars ) and the food was great. The hotel is a five minute walk to the harbour area ( with the usual bars / resturants ) and very easy access to the train station. The swimming pool is more of a relax pool but does it job well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bristol and would like to thank the hotel staff for taking care of me in such a specal way. it was also nice to see members of the management team on the 'shop floor', taking care of the guests.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank stateside74
Reviewed 27 October 2008

When I stayed here in august the food was very below standard for a 4 star hotel (in fact i couldn't believe how basic it was!!!) and the queue for breakfast was a complete joke with terrible service! However upon my recent stay the food was a major improvement, (it was actully the best meal I have ever had!) But the attention paid to the individual at breakfast is little, in fact it is just rude! after asking for some coffee i was greeted with a grunt! The room was very good, spacious and modern, which is the reason I returned to the hotel. I would recommend dinner in the restaurant to anyone, but avoid breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2008

My wife and I stayed for a Friday and Saturday night, and my mother joined us for the Saturday night.
We were on a cheap, room-only rate of £69 per room per night - breakfast not included. We didn't eat in the hotel, because that didn't suit our timetable.
The rooms were very good, spacious, well-furnished and clean. We all slept well. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly. I paricularly enjoyed being able to use the very attractive swimming pool.
I'd definitely stay here again - especially if we could get the same cheap rates!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2008

A Converted Office Builidng which was close to where I was working. High Price, Poor Service, and Mediocre Food. It appears to be Completely Non-Smoking (Advised Differently at Booking). The Bar had no Gin! — Only Perfumed Exotic Brands! My seat 'Fell Apart' due to poor Fit-Out. My room was next to The Lift, and I could hear every 'Bing Bong, First Floor' as other guests arrived.

Breakfast is a complete 'Bun Fight!' just walk-in and get a table! Food was also 'Cold' and 'Fat Laden!'

Basic Bar Meals are charged at Five-Star Prices! - And are not all that good!

Arrange your Second Mortgage before you use The Telephone!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 16 October 2008

My port of call in Bristol used to be the Hotel du Vin, but following a disappointing stay there on my last visit (check out the review) this time I opted for the Holland House. I mainly chose this hotel because it is just around the corner from Temple Meads Station. In the event this proved not to be such a great choice.

The hotel is in a pretty grotty area and the views from the first floor rooms at the sides and back of the building are most definitely “gorblimey”. My room faced directly onto a rough boozer less than 30’ away (probably explains why the curtains were already closed when I checked in late afternoon before dark). The rooms are sparsely furnished and seem to be designed for one-night-stays, in that they have tiny wardrobes and little storage space. That’s not a problem for me, but a couple booking in here for a few days would struggle to unpack their bags completely. I suppose the Spartan style might kindly be described as “shoestring chic”.

The room did have a decent flat-screen TV but there was no CD or DVD player – something you would now normally expect to find in an “executive room”. The room was clean enough but there was a lack of attention to detail. The handset for the TV was missing (took two calls to reception to sort out) and one of the towels in the bathroom was badly marked.

Dinner was just about okay overall but there were too many false notes to justify the prices charged. A fillet steak (£22.50) lacked flavour while the potato dauphinois that came with it was undercooked and greasy. The cheese course was absolutely dire: five chunks of tasteless supermarket cheese straight out of the fridge. On the positive side, the wine-list featured some good bottles at reasonable prices. The service was pleasant enough and top marks go to the French Maitre D’ (who is surely wasted in this establishment, particularly when it fills up with corporate yobs).

Breakfast was chaotic and unpleasant. Both the dining room and the number of staff were too small to cope with the hoards of guests. As for the breakfast food...well, as a previous reviewer has remarked, it was no better than you would get at a motorway service station (where you would pay a fraction of the price).

Would I stay at this hotel again? No way – there are much better options for the B&B rate of £164.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TedMeades