“Room ok not good service”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Bristol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First stay for a 3 day conference was in March. I upgraded to a privilege room. When I checked into my room it had not been cleaned from the previous guest. I was then moved to another room which was also supposed to be a privilege room but it did not have any of the extras advertised e.g.robe, upgraded toiletries, soft drinks etc. I brought this to the attention of the staff during my stay but it was not rectified. On my return I complained via the satisfaction survey explaining that I would be returning again in June for another conference. I received a swift response promising me a free upgrade to a suite in June. When booking in June I was told that the upgrade was registered on the system and the suite would be allocated on arrival. On arrival I was told they could see the upgrade recorded on the system but no suites left and no upgrade rooms either but they could offer me a drink as compensation. I emailed the manager who had promised me the suite but received no reply. The worst was yet to come. In the evening I ate with my colleagues in the restaurant. I was second in the queue at the desk to pay on completion of the meal however I was totally ignored until the person in front of me and the people behind me had paid. When I queried why I was being ignored the waitress started ranting about it not being her job to take money but she had been forced to do so because the manager was ill. As interesting as this is to her it is of no concern of mine. It was only at that point that it dawned on me that I was the only person of colour in the queue. So my advice is stay well clear of this hotel if you are blessed with melanin. It would seem from my experiences that even if you can afford to pay, you will not receive a 4 star service if you are of colour.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MercureBristolHH, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review on trip advisor in relation to the recent visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel and Spa, which I have been forwarded a copy of as the General Manager for the Hotel.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the problems that you encountered during the stay with us.
There is certainly no excuse for the lapses experienced particularly in relation to the lack of services provided as part of the privilege rooms’ offer. I have reminded the Departmental Managers concerned of the critical importance of ensuring these standards are consistently met.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the shortfalls experienced in the restaurant and rest assured your comments are noted. Whilst I accept there were clearly lapses in service evident here, I am disappointed to note your rationale for them. I can assure you that we welcome guests from all cultures, nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. Indeed my staffing complement includes team members from at least 14 nationalities and cultural backgrounds. We pride ourselves on our diversity in this area and as such I completely refute your comments in this regard.

I am sorry that your visit to the Hotel was not as you wished and I am committed to address the constructive comments raised. In relation to your other comments, I can assure you are very welcome to return to the hotel in the future where my team will provide the best service possible, as we do to all our guests.

Yours Sincerely,

Alan Bickerton
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked here for a weekend of retail therapy in Cabot Circus
Shopping was excellent especially Harvey Nics
Our room was spacious and had a lovely bath
We booked a privilege room as it came with a few extras
One being a coffee machine
Unfortunately we were only given one coffee capsule each per day which we felt was pretty mean considering the room price
As stated good and bad here but probably wouldn't return on same price terms as I suspect there are better deals to be had

• Stayed July 2014
MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.
I am glad to hear that you found your room spacious. In regards to the coffee capsules, for future reference our reception team would always be able to refill that for you.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bristol in the near future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I debated whether to give this hotel 3 or 4 out of 5 and settled on 3 in the end. I thought that the rooms, whilst spacious, were showing signs of wear and tiredness. The water pressure in my room (#232) was decidedly average. The car park was an issue and the service at breakfast was poor as they were busy (was never asked for tea/coffee etc). We ordered a tea and two diet cokes in the hotel bar late evening and were given a half filled pot of water - no tea! I did sleep well however and the bed was comfortable. Glad I had a socket next to my bed too. Reception staff were excellent. Free wi-fi was good and appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you raised, in particular the Food and Beverage service. These points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.

Thank you for your positve comments on the Reception Team and free wifi we offer.

Kind Regards,
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this hotel in a rush for it's proximity to Temple Meads station but wish I'd taken more time to read up on the hotel facilities as I would have loved to have gone for a swim if I had realised they had a pool..
Anyway the hotel is a 5 minute or so walk from Temple Meads train station and also handy for the city centre. The young lady (middle European accent )on reception was really friendly and helpful and I wish I had a better memory for names so that the management knew what an asset they had.
The room itself was a good size with a kettle , tea and coffee, a good size tv, mini bar and comfortable bed my only gripe would be that the windows did not open at all to let in some fresh air but the air conditioning was fine.
The bathroom was a good size and the shower worked well.
Overall an enjoyable stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Kind Regards,
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Husband booked this as a surprise for our anniversary. First problem was trying to get into the carp ark! Broken guest button and couldn't be heard on the intercom, eventually found alternative (much smaller) car park. Checked in and went to room which husband had upgraded to privilege rooms which was pleasant, clean with some nice touches such as coffee machine. However only 3 coffee sachets (doesn't share equally between 2 people) we did call reception for more but when room was cleaned next day no more were provided. Room was very hot and stuffy with no windows that could be opened, air con not sufficient to cool room unless turned high which was very loud. We went for pre dinner drinks and there were the remnants of someone meal dripped and staining the sofa and glass drink was in was dusty. Breakfast on both days was buffet style with plenty of choice however day 1 sausage I had was overlooked and hard, on 2nd day no bacon and as I was near the hot plates it took over 5 minutes to be refilled. Over all impression was that hotel tries but is very scruffy on the edges and tired. Final insult was although we had stayed for 2 days car park was not free when we mentioned this was told premium city centre hotel so had to charge, whilst I understand if you weren't staying there as guest you would need to pay but surely we could be provided with a place to park your car for free as guests!

Room Tip: Be prepared to sacrifice some luxuries for convenience to city centre
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandyloo50
MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted, all of which will be addressed with the Departmental Managers.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at holland house for my 10 year old daughters birthday and honestly it was fantastic it was very clean and it just had a warm friendly welcome. There is a lovely and warm pool when you get in it its lovely. The food was great the staff were great and overall the whole trip was great thanks to holland house in bristol so I recommend to any family or a couple.

Room Tip: It has a lovely pool
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your very positive feedback following your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.