Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bicester
“Good/Bad”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

First impressions were good on arrival,large car park and welcoming staff.Then things started to change.The room had a dirty towel on the floor in the bathroom,only 1 milk carton and 1 tea bag this was put right on request.Went to put something in the safe and found it bolted on to the floor and had to go on hands and knees to be able to open it. The restaurant was busy and nobody seemed to be in charge with requests for the table to be cleared of used plates so we could get our next course were answered with a nod and nothing done for several minutes.The food was adequate but the restaurant needs a good manager to sort it out.The facilities are excellent but could not recommend it for more than a one or two night stay

Room Tip: Don't take 369
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol Holland House and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Karin Snoek - Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 July 2014

being a regular guest I was warned on check in that the restaurant would be bombed do to two large tour parties having checked in. I suggested room service and was told that would be a good idea. I probebly forgot the tray charge but thought under teh circumstances it would be waived. You guessed right it wasnt. Good up selling £5 more and total for meal and one drink was £32.00 and I only had fish and chips and an ice cream sundae. Going out in future

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you raised. These points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.

Karin Snoek - Operations Mnaager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First stay for a 3 day conference was in March. I upgraded to a privilege room. When I checked into my room it had not been cleaned from the previous guest. I was then moved to another room which was also supposed to be a privilege room but it did not have any of the extras advertised e.g.robe, upgraded toiletries, soft drinks etc. I brought this to the attention of the staff during my stay but it was not rectified. On my return I complained via the satisfaction survey explaining that I would be returning again in June for another conference. I received a swift response promising me a free upgrade to a suite in June. When booking in June I was told that the upgrade was registered on the system and the suite would be allocated on arrival. On arrival I was told they could see the upgrade recorded on the system but no suites left and no upgrade rooms either but they could offer me a drink as compensation. I emailed the manager who had promised me the suite but received no reply. The worst was yet to come. In the evening I ate with my colleagues in the restaurant. I was second in the queue at the desk to pay on completion of the meal however I was totally ignored until the person in front of me and the people behind me had paid. When I queried why I was being ignored the waitress started ranting about it not being her job to take money but she had been forced to do so because the manager was ill. As interesting as this is to her it is of no concern of mine. It was only at that point that it dawned on me that I was the only person of colour in the queue. So my advice is stay well clear of this hotel if you are blessed with melanin. It would seem from my experiences that even if you can afford to pay, you will not receive a 4 star service if you are of colour.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MercureBristolHH, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review on trip advisor in relation to the recent visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel and Spa, which I have been forwarded a copy of as the General Manager for the Hotel.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the problems that you encountered during the stay with us.
There is certainly no excuse for the lapses experienced particularly in relation to the lack of services provided as part of the privilege rooms’ offer. I have reminded the Departmental Managers concerned of the critical importance of ensuring these standards are consistently met.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the shortfalls experienced in the restaurant and rest assured your comments are noted. Whilst I accept there were clearly lapses in service evident here, I am disappointed to note your rationale for them. I can assure you that we welcome guests from all cultures, nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. Indeed my staffing complement includes team members from at least 14 nationalities and cultural backgrounds. We pride ourselves on our diversity in this area and as such I completely refute your comments in this regard.

I am sorry that your visit to the Hotel was not as you wished and I am committed to address the constructive comments raised. In relation to your other comments, I can assure you are very welcome to return to the hotel in the future where my team will provide the best service possible, as we do to all our guests.

Yours Sincerely,

Alan Bickerton
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked here for a weekend of retail therapy in Cabot Circus
Shopping was excellent especially Harvey Nics
Our room was spacious and had a lovely bath
We booked a privilege room as it came with a few extras
One being a coffee machine
Unfortunately we were only given one coffee capsule each per day which we felt was pretty mean considering the room price
As stated good and bad here but probably wouldn't return on same price terms as I suspect there are better deals to be had

• Stayed July 2014
MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
I am glad to hear that you found your room spacious. In regards to the coffee capsules, for future reference our reception team would always be able to refill that for you.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bristol in the near future.

Kind Regards
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I debated whether to give this hotel 3 or 4 out of 5 and settled on 3 in the end. I thought that the rooms, whilst spacious, were showing signs of wear and tiredness. The water pressure in my room (#232) was decidedly average. The car park was an issue and the service at breakfast was poor as they were busy (was never asked for tea/coffee etc). We ordered a tea and two diet cokes in the hotel bar late evening and were given a half filled pot of water - no tea! I did sleep well however and the bed was comfortable. Glad I had a socket next to my bed too. Reception staff were excellent. Free wi-fi was good and appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you raised, in particular the Food and Beverage service. These points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.

Thank you for your positve comments on the Reception Team and free wifi we offer.

Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this hotel in a rush for it's proximity to Temple Meads station but wish I'd taken more time to read up on the hotel facilities as I would have loved to have gone for a swim if I had realised they had a pool..
Anyway the hotel is a 5 minute or so walk from Temple Meads train station and also handy for the city centre. The young lady (middle European accent )on reception was really friendly and helpful and I wish I had a better memory for names so that the management knew what an asset they had.
The room itself was a good size with a kettle , tea and coffee, a good size tv, mini bar and comfortable bed my only gripe would be that the windows did not open at all to let in some fresh air but the air conditioning was fine.
The bathroom was a good size and the shower worked well.
Overall an enjoyable stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.