“Hotel Let down by small things”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
UK
“Hotel Let down by small things”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked a 3 night stay at the hotel online, unfortunately my son decided to cut his head open the week before and we had to have the stitches removed which meant we were unable to make the first night...I contacted the hotel 2 days before to inform them of this. Needless to say we still had an email highlighting our non arrival and would we be arriving the next day as the hotel is fully booked? Bit annoying as we had already highlighted to them our travel plans! The position of the hotel is excellent and a 5 minute walk from the dock area of Bristol. We had booked a family room, which was very spacious with 2 queen beds...which meant the kids had a proper bed also. The room was south facing and you cannot open the windows, the AC worked “just”, as long as you left it on it could manage to keep the room at a reasonable temperature!! The TV remote was broken, and we had to request a hairdryer, twice. Despite the room sleeping 4 and being sold as a family room , you still get 2 cups and 2 glasses..we requested 2 more which were delivered but subsequently removed by the cleaner, she also took the key card which kept the AC on and opened the curtains...so came back to a boiling hot room. Finally £12 a night to park your car!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa. Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted.

Kind Regards

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've decided to share this as I travel a lot with work and the way staff deal with a problem can make all the difference. I arrived in the afternoon having been on my travels with heavy luggage since 7am. I was allocated a room on the second floor but as soon as I entered it the smell inside was unbearable, in fact it was revolting. The windows don't open and the room smelt sour and unclean I couldn't have breathed in there let alone had a good nights rest. I left my stuff and ventured back to reception (bearing in mind this is a huge hotel, with 5 floors and various corridors) to politely ask for an alternative. The receptionist was kind enough and handed me another room to 'try' this time on the other side of the building. I ventured up again, promising to return the other key fob once I'd retrieved and moved my luggage.

Sure enough I entered the second room only to be met by a similar putrid smell, this time with a good measure of air freshener in the outside corridor (perhaps in an effort to mask it). The corridor carpets are very grimy. I hate making a fuss and contemplated my options but the smell was sickening and by this time I was really tired. I returned to the ground floor receptionist who looked puzzled when i attempted to explain that this room too was unfit. She and her colleague offered me another room, my choice either a downgrade or one on the fourth floor. I explained I didn't care where it was provided it was clean and fresh and suggested that a manager investigate what the problem was with the others. I eventually got another key to a room which was ok on the 4th floor.

In all this I was SO disappointed that no one took the trouble to accompany me to examine the cleanliness problem in the rooms or to assist me with moving my luggage. it was left for me - a paying guest, to venture from room to room, floor to floor with my bags in search of a suitable bedroom! Only saving grace were the polite and friendly waiting staff at breakfast.

Room Tip: Take a staff member!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol Holland House and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed for business in July 2014.
Positives:
Huge spacious room and bathroom
Bed extremely comfortable
Rooms modern
Staff polite

Negatives:
Wifi didn't work in the room - had to go into the corridor to connect and then back into the room to use - what a faff. Reception told me it had just been updated as well!
Room extremely dark - not well lit with only a few spotlights so not ideal for a business traveller trying to do some work.
Bath towel dirty - had what looked like a footprint on it!
Gym nice but very low ceiling - being 5ft9 I was unable to use some of the equipment after almost hitting my head.

Car parking is £12 per night, however round the side of the hotel there is free on street parking between 6pm-9am and all weekend.
I wouldn't stay again as the Mercure Bristol Brigstow round the corner is so much better but it would be ok for a couple for a night if you got a good price.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Leila249
Thank you for your detailed feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.

cardiff
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived and had to wait 3 hours as rooms were not ready this was explained as "human error" due to some cleaners being slower than others!? "Spa" is a beauticians room where I paid £45 to have my nails painted and a veggie wrap. There was a constant wringing noise that turned out to be the air con. Had to walk across car park several times in dressing gown and slippers as hotel, restaurant and pool were a completely different building. Check out time 12 but cleaners knock door at 9.30! The hallways stink and at one point there was a man wandering around in his pants! On the way out they slapped a 12pound charge for the parking that at no point were made aware of. We were directed to a photo frame sized sign hidden by the back door showing the charges.I Have complained and have been told they will sort issues for future customers. I will not be one of them and neither will the other 31 dissatisfied ladies who joined me.

• Stayed July 2014
The comments are most comprehensive and each point will be discussed with the Departmental Managers concerned. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service issues.

Karin Snoek - Operations Manager