“confusing signage/layout”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is an old insurance building and therefore the layout feels like one in places,to get to room 504 you leave the lift (from reception) on floor 5 and are directed through two event rooms,one of which had a wedding anniversary party going on and we were thought of as guests,being given £250 each in fake gambling money.Signage needs to be looked at!!!! this happens on a regular basis i am informed.Staff were just about able to speak English,as all the staff we met it is their second language.

Room Tip: unless you want to wakthrough event rooms avoid 504
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Marion E, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa. Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol Holland House and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Very good location to the city centre and train station.
Good sized rooms.
Gym/pool very good.
We got a good winter deal of 120 for 2 nights.
Would recommend staying.
Could do with more selection of cocktails.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel &Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel - got a fantastic rate through laterooms, comfy beds, impeccably clean rooms, lovely shower, easy walk into the centre and staff were all fantastic - receptionist lovely and very helpful, but especially Gonzalo in the bar - the most hospitable hotelier I have met in a long time - this guy should get a raise!! Come and stay here it is fantastic!!

Stayed: August 2014

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, especially Gonzalo. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home from a 1night spa break with my wife, this consisted of 1 night bed and breakfast, 3 course evening meal and £35 each towards the cost of a treatment, various good and bad points, I'll start with the bad:

Bad points

The spa is in a separate building to the hotel which means you need to get changed in the spa, what makes this all the more inconvenient is that the pool is in the hotel, so you can't go from the spa to the pool or visa versa without either getting changed or running across the car park in your robe.
The spa does not have a sauna, a steam room, Jacuzzi etc, it consists of treatment rooms for massages etc and a relaxation room and that's about it from what I saw.
While the hot stone massage myself and my wife had was nice and the 2 masseuse were very good, the massage tables had very small face holes which weren't big enough to fit your face in which meant that when having the back massage neither myself or my wife could fully relax and enjoy as our faces were being squeezed into these small holes which was pretty uncomfortable.
Onto the evening meal, when we first arrived at our table we were given an extensive menu, however when we told the waitress that were were on the spa break and therefore our 3 course evening meal was included, our menues were replaced with pretty basic menues with I think it was 4 choices for each course, I think it would be better if a budget was allocated as part of the package to take off the full menus.
I'm a strict vegan, and despite giving the restaurant 8 hours notice that I was vegan, it was clear that when we arrived for our evening meal that absolutely no thought had been given as to what they were going to offer me, in fact when our very apologetic waitress came back from speaking with the chef, she had been told to ask me whether I ate fish?! When a chef doesn't know what a vegan is it always fills me with concern. After educating the chef via the waitress as to what a vegan was, she returned with what was on the menu for me, this consisted of one option only for each course, and when I told the waitress that I really didn't fancy tomato soup for a starter, I was told that this was my only option. My wife knowing me well could tell at this point that I was close to tipping point and suggested that the chef may be able to adapt one of the salad dishes for me, the waitress agreed, so did I, and I ended up with a bowl of lettuce, topped off with a couple of slices of tomato, cucumber and a few olives, with no dressing, unsurprisingly it was pretty tasteless. Thankfully the other 2 courses were better, but not so much that I'd choose either again.
Bar prices, now I know that hotel prices are higher than your normal pub, but £10.80 for 2 bottles of cider is robbery, and I don't understand why they charge these amounts, had the prices been reasonable then myself and my wife would have spent a lot more money on drinking in the hotel rather than going out to the many bars located around the hotel, narrow minded bad business decission.

The good

Our room was nice and appeared to be relatively recently renovated, movies on demand would be good, and I can never understand how in this day and age hotels can't provide decent tv reception.
Despite the lack of facilities and the poorly designed tables our massages were good.
Overall the service from all staff was very friendly and helpfull.

Would we stay here again? Yes, the hotel is conveniently located for a walk into the city centre, the service and room were good, we'll just make sure that we eat outside of the hotel next time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa. Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted. These points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night on 20th of July. Nice and quite location along the canal. The rooms are regular size but we loved the way they put the bed in an angle of 30°. Gives a total different perspective. Breakfast buffet was nice with fresh fruit, different kind of cereals. My wife ordered eggs florentine and I ordered haddock à la carte which was included in the breakfast.
Service was more than correct.
We ordered directly through the Accor website and paid ... 57 pounds. Good deal

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side with view on the canal should be the best but a bit more expensive I think
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The king size executive room was very spacious and decorated to a hugh standard. The only 2 points for improvement would be a more forgiving mattress and a more powerful shower.

Had dinner in the bar area as the restaurant had a 25 min wait. Steak burger was full of (capers and tarragon?) and was so overpowered with these flavours it put me off finishing it.

Breakfast was very good. Great selection of cooked and continental.

Last bad point - PARKING FEES! I would strongly consider crediting the £12.00 per day charge on checkout.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience at the dinner did not meet your expectation. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Bristol is well served by many of the hotel chains and it is difficult to find something a bit special. We thought this might be it as the claim 'hotel ans spa' conjures certain expectations. Howevr do not be taken in! The Spa is detached and separate from the pool, which is small, was dirty, and is closed for too long on Mondays to be of useful service to guests. Our Privilege room was large with the harbour view as requested. The very comfortable bed was a joy to sleep in, and the bathroom was large. For the privilege price, we expected more than two tea bags, limited coffee, and toiletries that were not really 'enhanced' as in the blurb and a can of Coke in the fridge!. To cap it all, the requested newspaper failed to appear on the first morning with reception both unaware and not bothered, blaming the newsagent when I suspect a hotel oversight. Still it probably didn't matter since as others observe the room lighting is inadequate for reading and on winter evening could be a real pain. It was romantic though!
The breakfast was good, but on the second morning there was no butter - only 'flora'. Would we choose this hotel again? - probably not but the failings of lack of attention to detail here are sadly not uncommon in the chain hotel market............

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor and above with harbour view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.