“Lovely City Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Sussex
“Lovely City Hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My second visit and I was more impressed than the first - we went for a superior twin. The room was very spacious at the front of the hotel on a high floor. Lovely bathroom, quality linen and very comfortable bed, room came with a mini fridge which was a bonus.
Breakfast was really lovely - lots to choose from and quality ingredients.
Service was brilliant - low key, efficient and friendly.
Pool was fine - but very hot and steamy!
Location is excellent right next to the tourist centre....go down the slope off the road next to the hotel and you are in the harbour area.
Also there is free weekend parking in the road next to the hotel....so don't waste money in carparks on Sat/Sun
I think this is the best Bristol city hotel I have stayed in so far!

Room Tip: Go for a more expensive room on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Marion E, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel& Spa.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel is a very short distance from the city centre, to its south, but it is a short walk to many of the city’s main attractions and restaurants. It is adjacent to some large concrete blocks of public housing which significantly detracts from the area.

I have stayed in the hotel a number of times and its quality is quality... it aims to be a good 4-Star but it has settled into the overnight bus trade and this makes it difficult to develop any character or quality in the hotel. The rooms are comfortable but moderate in size and facilities, the breakfast is very average and the cleaning services need improving.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa. Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted. These points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant than the previous ones.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This hotel is in a good location. The reception staff were very friendly, knowledgable and welcoming. One gentleman recommended M-Shed and SS Great Britain, giving us directions. It was a great recommendation as M-Shed had a Wallace and Gromit exhibition which totally entranced our eight year old.
The breakfasts were excellent and the room we had was fine for the three of us.
I can't comment on the parking charges but I think it's worth it just to leave the car and explore Bristol on foot.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel &Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am happy our colleague at reception has helped to make your stay in Bristol interesting for you and your family.

Wymondham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stayed here for one night while I was attending a conference. Staff were friendly and efficient. I arrived a bit early and was able to put my luggage in my room straight away. Room was large, well equipped and comfortable. The three window design added to the spacious feel. Facilities were good. Nice shower and tv. Free wifi was a bonus. Although breakfast time was busy, there was plenty of food and a very good choice. Would recommend for anybody visiting Bristol. It is convenient, but not in the busiest areas of the city.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Aylesbury
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as part of a hen party, check in was very quick, our room was very clean and well equipt.

The breakfast food was very nice and fresh but the restaurant was extremely busy and there was few staff around to assist people.

I didn't use the pool but those who did were pleased with the facilities

I would definitely stay here again, it's really central and was good value.

• Stayed August 2014

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I came as part of a hen party. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food in the was very good. I didn't stay at the hotel but the rooms were clean stylist. Unfortunately the facial that I had in the spa gave me a headache and doesn't sound like it was done correctly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Marion E, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol Holland House and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.
Hove
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel is well situated for getting around Bristol, but if you arrive by car be warned car parking is very limited. Surprisingly the smaller of their two car parks often is easier to use.
Rooms were fine and well cleaned.
Corridor outside of room a little musty.
Rest of public areas good.
Bar area was fine but needs a better selection of beers.
Breakfast was below par, over cooked.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Please note that our rooms are now being refurbished, which should solve the issues mentioned in your feedback