“Tiny amounts of delicious food”
Review of Birch

Birch
Ranked #46 of 1,764 Restaurants in Bristol
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This restaurant is small with big glass windows and very brightly lit. The menu choice was severely limited, so much so that we didn't order starters and it was also expensive. We ordered the "rump" which when arrived, consisted of two slices of meat cooked until pink, a very nice sauce, some spinach and one large "chip" in the middle. Everything tasted delicious but this was most definitiely not for anyone with a large to normal appetite. The waitresses were very friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, however, I felt I had to talk extremely quietly due to the close proximity of the other diners, because the tables were too close together. Also, the meal was for our wedding anniversary and the lighting was not condusive to a romantic atmosphere.

We were given complimentary bread and handchurned butter before the bread arrived which was very nice and we ordered chocolate mousse and cheese and biscuits (one pat of goat's cheese and three tiny hand made biscuits with a sort of jam too) and these were excellent despite the tiny amount of cheese and biscuits. We were also disappointed when we first arrived the couple next to us were tucking into a delicious and hearty looking pie, which was huge and the meat looked succulent, however, this option was unavailable, also their dessert speciality, which sounded amazing, was unavailable too.

The bill was around £70 for two courses, one beer, a bottle of wine, which we joked on the way home would have fed our family of five twice at the local indian curry house!

If you are fairly well off, and like nouveaux cuisine then you'll probably love it but it wasn't for us.

2  Thank Zoe19732014

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Nice friendly greeting when we arrived and we were given the "supper" menu. Unfortunately only salted radishes or cold sliced beef were left on the starters list and as we both wanted the rump for main we decided to go straight to this. We had some nice home made bread and hand churned butter to go on with. However, when the rump arrived it was tiny! I've eaten in restaurants for over twenty years and this was definitely the smallest meal I've ever been given. The meat was two and a quarter slices of about 3 inches in diameter and a half inch thick, with a garnish of potato and possibly spinach (nice jus though!). The meat was very rare in the middle and a little too tough for the non-steak knives around the edge. We tried to fill up on the puddings with a cheese plate and chocolate mouse to share but the cheese followed the same bijou principals as the main so no luck there. The couple next to us we overheard the man say that he wasn't very hungry anyway and the couple on the other side of us doubled up on their desserts.
Very attentive and staff though which significantly boosts the rating up to three.

5  Thank John R
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Expectations were high for this new place, based on the tripadvisor reviews and a report from a friend. Sadly for me, did not hit the mark. The good things: bread - home baked and truly excellent, wine - good well-priced list, puds - choc mousse and queen of puds, both delish. Starters were okay - soup good and the chard passable. Partner's main course of beef, cooked to perfection, (would have appreciated more carbs though.). But my main course of leeks, pots and cheese sauce was just that - sadly not special enough to go back a 2nd time. With such a short menu, each dish ought to count, but I'm afraid this just didn't. Very friendly people running this place, and hopefully will make a success of it, so hope this feedback is helpful. Will check the website for more inspiring veggie options and maybe try again.

3  Thank Ginger072
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Super friendly staff were waiting for us when we'd arrived at this tiny restaurant on a back street in bedminster in Bristol. We went for all the courses and all were excellent. Simple and superb value. The menu changes daily so not much point going into all that we had...suffice to say it was excellent.

2  Thank Matt G
Reviewed 26 August 2014

A relatively recent opening a few minutes’ walk from the trendy end of North Street, this is a small neighbourhood restaurant housed in a former off licence. There is little else around other than residential housing, so it isn’t going to get the passing trade that some other establishments will, but it was nonetheless full to capacity on a recent Saturday evening visit with one set of diners replacing the previous set as soon as a table was vacated. It’s run by a young couple, one working in the kitchen and the other waitressing. This does of course mean that opening times can be restricted – this was actually our third attempt at getting in, on previous occasions they were closed due to holidays and a friend’s wedding. Not that this is in any way a criticism, I’m all for supporting small independent business like this and of course like anyone else they must have a life outside of work.

The restaurant is quite small with around 24 covers, and the large windows on two sides can make it seem a little as though you’re in a goldfish bowl, especially if you have one of the window seats as we did. Décor is fairly spartan with plain whitewashed walls and a small counter at the rear. Complimentary crusty bread was served which was apparently homemade, and even included home churned butter. Many of the ingredients are sourced from their own garden. The menu was very concise, with just three choices for each course, one meat, one fish and one vegetarian although there was also one more special (which seemed odd, since the menu was dated for that day anyway). If you’re a fussy eater, this may not be the venue for you, although they did ask if we had any allergies when booking.

We opted for the Crab, Heritage Tomatoes & Almonds for starters, which was very nicely presented and included three or four different varieties of tasty tomatoes. If I had a criticism it would be that there was very little crab, especially the white meat. It wasn’t too expensive at £7, so I’ve no real complaints, but personally I would have liked more even if it meant paying a little extra. A main course of Gurnard, Cockles, white beans and courgette was unfussy, with the quality of the ingredients left to shine through whilst a side order of chips were very good indeed, just the right crunch on the outside with a soft and fluffy inside! A dessert of Raspberry Mess was decent enough and did what it said on the tin, although personally I’m more of a traditionalist and much prefer strawberries to the myriad of different berries that seem to be used these days. Similarly, more meringue and less cream would have been good, but again, that’s just me as I usually end up thinking that when I have this dish!

Overall I thought this was a great restaurant and I wish them well in their new venture. I will certainly return on another occasion to try something else.

1  Thank Blackth0rn