“Fast Food, Vietnamese Style”
Review of Khao & Bao - CLOSED

Khao & Bao
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Baowow is handy for St Nick's market in the daytime and the Old Vic theatre in the evening. It is clean and cheap and the food is really tasty. Service is fast and as you order and pay at the counter it's great for a fast, substantial snack. I had tofu with yellow bean sauce which came with plenty of rice and was pleasingly served in a traditional blue and white enamel pie dish. Eaten with chopsticks this was an exciting meld of cultures, the menu is chalked on the wall and there are meat and seafood options and speciality dumplings and rolls. There are even cheaper lunchtime deals and, carrying the cultural mix even further, there are fries! I can't wait to go back to try some more dishes and also the Vietnamese coffee, served with condensed milk. Service with a smile, sit down or take away. I really like this new addition to Baldwin Street's little parade of eateries. Closes at 8 pm, 9 pm on Fridays.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I popped in here on a whim for a spot of lunch earlier - they have a pretty extensive £5 menu. I went for teriyaki chicken with egg noodles.I can#t begin to tell you how impressed I was - I have spent two or three times that on a noodle dish in Bristol, and this was the best hands down.

The food was ready in a few minutes. The noodles still had a bit of tooth, the teriyakl chicken was flavoured extremely well - a fine balance of ingredients which gave it a light yet full flavour. There was a goodly portion of vegetables on the side. The portion size was spot on, erring on the generous side.

There are not a lot of seats in here, I can see that it would be a popular takeaway joint. For eating in I think I got the better deal on portion size, which may be something to consider.

As I sai, I have eaten in a number of restaurants in the city catering to the 'pan Asian' palate - I would not hesitate to recommend this place, I am already looking forward to going again soon.

2  Thank Phil C
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We order Vietnamese Pho, but it was served as instant packet vermicelli. We ask for fish sauce, that is the most popular seasoning in Vietnam. But sorry, they do not have those. Then we asked for lime and coriander. Sorry again, they don't have that either. The owner actually do not know what is Vietnamese Food. Don't go there!!!

6  Thank Catherine L
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great spot looking out the window watching a Friday night take shape on Baldwin Street! £13 for two large bowls of Tofu Thai Curry (spicy yellow bean sauce & green curry); nice and spicy with really fresh sauce on both dishes. Service was friendly & quick, it was quiet mind, and overall excellent value. Free water to drink in funky bottles, nice background music, and in my view easy to read and understand menus on blackboards. You can get put off down B-Street with all the gaffs seeming to only have 4/5 food hygiene ratings (same for this place, although it was last July) but this place felt clean and overall we got a great meal at great prices. On one dish the rice could have been hotter but overall Ace value.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Seriously, is there anywhere in Bristol better to work than the area around St. Nicks? The choices on offer for lunch excite me every day. Every day.
I've been wanting to try Bao Wow for a while but always get put off by the queues, but today I got lucky as there was no queue! So happy that I tried it.
I'm a big fan of all south-east asian food and regularly cook Thai and Vietnamese at home. Today I tried the banh mi - I've just finished it and I'm pretty tempted to go an get another. Spicy beef, rich, sweet sauce, radishes, cucumber, shredded veg, jalapenos. What's not to like? I fear I'm going to get addicted.
Oh, yeah, and while we're on the subject, Bristol has a terrific street food scene, obscenely overlooked and ignored by the food 'festivals' which proliferate. Eat Drink Bristol Fashion? B*ll*cks! Corn Street Friday Food Market - now that's more like it. Loves it!