“Lovely Saturday lunch”

Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Brazilian, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil. Each restaurant is unique and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life. With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas is proud of its fresh GM free food and top quality ingredients.
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Visited here for lunch on Saturday 28th June. Table of 4.
We ordered off the lunch menu and the portions were still pretty big. We had a starter of nachos and chorizo in a red wine sauce, followed by mains of best and bean burger, steak tortas and 2 of us had the chilli con carne. All were delicious and the staff very friendly and helpful. With drinks and meals for 4 the bill was £45, which we thought was very good value and would eat here again.

There are newer reviews for Las Iguanas

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Firstly and to make clear, I love the food at Las Iguanas and this review is in no terms a criticism in that area.

I visited last night with a friend and enjoyed a nice meal, however I had to comment on the dysfunctional bar setup which leads to queues lasting 10 minutes+ when simply trying to get a beer.

The outdoor seating is substantial, however the restaurant does not extend their table service to the outdoors, therefore the small, under-staffed and overly-busy indoor bar serves three purposes:

- Outdoor food orders
- Outdoor regular drink orders
- Outdoor cocktail orders

The consequence is that cocktail orders delay a member of staff for up to 10 minutes at a time, food orders of course take a little time as well and subsequently those only wanting a beer have to wait in line in a very unconventional bar-queue.

It simply doesn't work. Las Iguanas should use logic and common sense to split the bar into two stations, one for cocktails, one for regular drinks. They should then extend their table service to serve outdoor tables as well, therefore freeing the bar to do what it's designed to do, to serve drinks.

Please improve the above Las Iguanas, else you'll loose clientèle such as myself that enjoy the atmosphere and food, but severely dislike waiting 10 minutes for a pint.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I/ we come here several times a year and have loved it, Father's Day was a let down. We came for pre dinner drinks bar man was excellent, he was Spanish and was very friendly. Sat down for dinner and two bottles if wine I wanted had sold out, so opted for Pino as a last resort!
Elvin was our waiter and seemed new. After 20 minutes our drinks still hadn't arrived so gave him a nudge, bar manager came over and was very apologetic and told the truth. They put out drinks order on someone else's! I laughed as I thought ...well done you for not coming out with the usual... We are soooo busy!
Gave me and my husband a complementary glass if wine, so customer service good to an extent, food was good and I always have tapas but went for the bouritto. Which was yummy!
Just felt when we left I that it wasn't the same and can't put my finger in it.. Just felt they are getting bigger and just don't want this restaurant to lose its good vibe and service.
I will be back. Just HATE waiting for drinks! Lol

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Las Iguanas has massively expanded since its early days in Bristol - and so has their drinks menu - wow it is a whole booklet of cocktails and other drinks from various countries, they even have their own sugar cane plantation now. Despite this, the drinks were not really any better than anywhere else and some of the cocktails are not freshly made but poured out of bottles e.g the rum punch. Mocktails were overpriced. Menu is quite extensive with different versions for vegetarians, vegans and gluten free which will no doubt be really helpful for some diners. Food was fine but nothing special. The guacamole wasn't freshly made and lacked flavour, tasted like it had been bought in not made on the premises, and the salsa was tasteless like out of a jar. A little on the mass catering side and lacking in any real latin American flavour. Service was friendly if inexperienced. Las iguanas is fine, but it isn't really anything better that in any way.

LasIguanasHQ, Owner at Las Iguanas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. Our cocktail menu has always been pretty extensive and as you mention we are really proud to being our own cachaca across from Brazil as we think it's the best you'll find in the UK. I'm sorry you were disappointed that we mix our punches ahead of time but this is so that it is a quick, practical option for people looking for a fruity sharing drink to serve themselves at the table. They are still made by our team every day (you'll find the name of the bartender on the bottle) and using premium spirits, fruit and juices. We also still make most of our menu from scratch in our kitchens including over 30 sauces and salsas. Should you visit again please let your server know if you find anything not to your taste or lacking in flavour so that we can hopefully put it right at the time. Kind regards, Lucy- Las Iguanas

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked a table for 7 for Father's Day and the night was great!
This isn't the first time that we have been to this restaurant so that's a commendation in itself as I never go back to a restaurant if I had a bed experience.
We went out with the intention to have a fun night with cocktails and great food & that's just what we got.
The bar staff, management and the waiting staff we're all great. One meal was missed off when the order was put through (this is why an Excellent score wasn't given), but the waitress was very open about the mistake, apologetic and didn't try to pass the blame. This meal came out within about 5 minutes, was lovely and was taken off of the bill as well as a free drink.
All in all, everyone had a great night and we will be returning soon.