“Four to choose from”

Ranked #549 of 1,579 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Famous for Thalis but you'll find classic Indian snacks, coffee and cakes on the menu too. Quirky decor, great atmosphere, free Wifi, kids welcome. Award-winning Tiffin Takeaway scheme. Equally suited for groups, families or for a romantic dinner. Contact us about hiring the whole back room for your party or celebration.This is the original Thali Cafe, located in the hub of Montpelier, it is one of four Thali Cafes in Bristol. We avoid mainstream locations in favour of areas with a strong sense of community where we can foster relationships with local people and businesses.
“Four to choose from”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the original Thali café. Food great and authentic. Atmosphere is truly Montpelier. It is even better now they have opened up the back to give more room as it was difficult sometimes to get in. Much better than the "english" Indian restaurants on the Gloucester Rd. But whatever floats yer boat! No outdoor seating.

Prices are reasonable, service friendly and if you don;t want to eat in buy a Tiffin tin and take one away. Open from lunch time Saturdays and Sundays, otherwise open in the evening

• Visited October 2013

“authentically wonderful!!!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Had the Fish curry and my goodness me, it took me straight back to my time in India. WOW the food is truly amazing and the atmosphere is just wonderful!! My house mates told me I would love it an practically live there once I'd tried the food and they are right. I cant wait for family and friends to visit so I have an excuse to go back. Best Indian food I've had in England.

• Visited September 2013
“Incredibly value for money!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Thali Cafe never fails to impress us which is why we come here so regularly! The food is always quick and super scrumptious and staff here are always lovely and polite.

• Visited September 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“What is the hype with these sub standard curries”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was looking forward to a bit of "different style" curry. There were only 4 mains to choose from, so the chef should be good at nailing them. I must have gone for the wrong dish or gone on the wrong night, because my dish seriously lacked taste. I don't think that there was much to the meal. To top it off, the coffee I ordered was blatently an instant - no grains in the bottom of the coffee. Just get a takeaway on Gloucester road if you want a curry.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Bris_Gannet
ThaliC, Guest Relations Manager at Thali Cafe Montpelier, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thanks for your review, its really useful for us to get your feedback so that we can improve things. Firstly we’re really sorry that you found your Thali experience lacking. We do try to keep the dishes relatively mild (e.g. not red hot chili) but they definitely shouldn’t have been lacking in flavour. Regarding the menu, as you say, we have four main Thali meals but we also have a number of side dishes and seasonal specials for those who want to try something different. Our new summer menu introduces some new dishes too so I really hope that you’ll give us another try in the future. Our coffee comes direct from Monmouth Coffee and we use a filter cone to brew it in the Montpelier site (rather than an espresso machine as in other Cafes), which is why you would have found no grains in your drink. We will talk to our suppliers, as they will definitely want to investigate if their boutique coffee tastes like instant! Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely Setting, lovely food”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Came here for a birthday party in the evening for the first time. I am a big fan of Thali food, and I was not disappointed by what I was dished up. I had the dairy free Thali which was beautiful and around the table we had a mix of all the other (meat, fish etc) Thali options, which came with a lot of the same accompaniments as mine. How anyone can make cauliflower taste that good is beyond me!

The restaurant has a nice, intimate feel and is decorated well. The only downside was that the food came too quickly for the amount of members in our party, and was not as hot (temperature wise) as i would have liked it. I suspect that most of the dishes must sit in pots to be dished up as and when, which may make them cool down a bit.

This was only a minor side point, however. As for £7.95 for a lovely, filling dinner which I could not have made easily at home myself, I can't really complain. I will definitely be trying out the other Thail cafes.

• Visited April 2013
ThaliC, Public Relations Manager at Thali Cafe Montpelier, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
We're so glad your party enjoyed themselves! Thank you for your feedback regarding the food and service - we will use it to help us improve things next time. Have fun trying out the other Thali Cafes! Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team.